Jeff Silverman and HH?

I'm resisting too. There are a few small things I want (squares scarves, kitty iphone case, stuff like that) but I'm broke right now and kind of would not like to give HH any more of my money. I'm guessing that what's showing up as in stock are leftovers from the waning days of the Greenpoint store combined with customer returns, and that the other bags will return to the site after this sale is over.

The whole Silverman "you desire it, we'll make it" thing leaves me queasy. I'm not sure where his limits are, but the opportunity is there to bypass knocking off and head straight into counterfeiting. Of course if buying HH gave him ownership of Toni's designs, he won't have a legal issue there, at least.

I have no problem with the made-to-order model if -- HUGE IF -- you're up-front with buyers, deliver as promised, keep communication lines open and PROVIDE REAL PICTURES OF COLOR CHOICES at minimum. Swatches would be extra nice. That can't be too difficult and would help cut down on returns from disappointed customers.

If I want made-to-order I'll join an RM special order, or buy a Belen Echandia. As a creative person myself, I hate the whole "show us a photo" of something you saw in a magazine and we'll make it. It makes me more than queasy. I'm in the "business" of fostering creativity, and it just echoes what I see happening in higher education, where business models and "results oriented, customer driven" models are ruining the great tradition of free thinking, creative, try and fail and try again model of American ingenuity and higher education.

So, do you think with the items being discounted at 50% max, and the newer items removed, that HH is going to fold????? Has the HH brand met its death? Where are the Tharpes, Wyeths, etc.? Is this a bad sign?

jennirane said:
If I want made-to-order I'll join an RM special order, or buy a Belen Echandia. As a creative person myself, I hate the whole "show us a photo" of something you saw in a magazine and we'll make it. It makes me more than queasy. I'm in the "business" of fostering creativity, and it just echoes what I see happening in higher education, where business models and "results oriented, customer driven" models are ruining the great tradition of free thinking, creative, try and fail and try again model of American ingenuity and higher education.

Nicely put, Jenni. I guess part of me (a small and swiftly shrinking part) still wants to give Silverman some benefit of doubt - that T & B did what they thought was best to keep the brand alive. Ben sounded so hopeful and sincere when he posted here awhile back and I really wanted to believe him. He and I are both in denial, I suppose.

And true - I see it in my own field, where "citizen journalism" and news blogging have made accuracy, objectivity and ethics seem passé, and helped send many a grand old-school newspaper to the grave because too-few people are willing to pay for information.

It looks like T & B have been silenced. I don't expect we'll hear from them again, sadly. I'm getting more and more furious as I type this.

:goodpost:

So, do you think with the items being discounted at 50% max, and the newer items removed, that HH is going to fold????? Has the HH brand met its death? Where are the Tharpes, Wyeths, etc.? Is this a bad sign?

I don't think he's got too much further down to go before it's all over. I would love to see what they actually have in stock, but I'm guessing it's what someone else said - what was left over from the store or from returns. Get rid of that, sell the rest off to a liquidator, shut the whole operation down. I don't know what financial incentive there'd be to buy a business and shut it down...other than getting Toni's designs, but nothing else makes more sense. And Mr. Silverman hasn't deigned to show himself here and win our loyalty. There's not even a CS person posting here anymore.

Nicely put, Jenni. I guess part of me (a small and swiftly shrinking part) still wants to give Silverman some benefit of doubt - that T & B did what they thought was best to keep the brand alive. Ben sounded so hopeful and sincere when he posted here awhile back and I really wanted to believe him. He and I are both in denial, I suppose.

And true - I see it in my own field, where "citizen journalism" and news blogging have made accuracy, objectivity and ethics seem passé, and helped send many a grand old-school newspaper to the grave because too-few people are willing to pay for information.

It looks like T & B have been silenced. I don't expect we'll hear from them again, sadly. I'm getting more and more furious as I type this.

I think Ben believed what he was told. I have a feeling that grand visions of HH's future were laid before Ben and Toni to get them to sell. I don't think Ben was trying at all to mislead us. Once Silverman bought HH, he was free to do whatever the heck he pleased. I would imagine that some part of this was a blow to Ben and Toni, as well, seeing as how they'd worked hard to get things back on top and provide us with good CS and good products and keep us informed. I also think they have been SILENCED. I felt like we had a sort of online "what's up, girl!" thing going with Toni and then they sold and she dropped off the face of the planet. I don't think she did that on her own.

As to the comment on newspapers, HEAR HEAR!! I live in NOLA, and we've recently been informed that our ONLY daily newspaper is cutting back to 3 days a week. Half the city is pi$$ed. So, nomoreroom, I totally agree with your statement above. I'd pay for the paper and read - really READ - a PAPER paper for the rest of my life. That's being taken away in lieu of exactly what you said. It's maddening.

Nomoreroom, you're soooo right about the same thing happening in journalism. I think it's so telling that most papers with online presences don't even bother copyediting anymore; they just wait for posters to correct any mistakes (hey! That means someone is reading and we can claim them as a subscriber!) And investigative journalism is a dying art. Even NBC's new IJ site is reader-driven.

I think, given posts on her FB page, that Toni's taking some time off to spend back home in Ky with family. But I hope that she finds a way to continue selling her designs!

I do hope we see Toni somewhere soon.

As for the made to order I was hping it would increase options but that hasn't been the case. I hoped it might open up options like making your own color blocked version of bags or something interesting like that but no. Also where did the Tharpes and Wyeths go? Would it cost them money to keep them for sale if they're all made to order? They've already made a handful of bags so they must have a workign pattern.

It's possible that I would kill for a phantom wyeth. Or another laura in my own colour choices. I lurve my ink/black one but just don't like the dune/yellow or wr/tomato ones. I like the wild rose but not with tomato and want a leather colour that is a bit more winter friendly for our rainy season.