Jeans- how tight should they be?

Jan 22, 2008
Over the last few years I've gone up a size or two and now back down... but I am having trouble buying clothes that actually "fit". In tops and sweaters it's not that big of a deal if something is a size big and slightly loose, but my jeans all look awful.

I went to the store to try some on this weekend (I only like Citizens of Humanity) and I don't know what size to get!

How do you know if they are TOO tight? All the jeans I look at have a little bit of spandex, so I have to buy them really tight since they will stretch, right?

For comparison, I've been wearing a 27. I put them in the dryer so they have shrunk up to about a 26. I tried on the 25 in the store and they felt great, but I don't want to be that girl in the tight jeans... because I am very conservative.

You probably have not gotten much of a response because the answer to your question seems pretty obvious and is totally subjective. Jeans should be as tight as you prefer them to be. Personally, I prefer mine to be form-fitting, but not uncomfortable. And, no, not all jeans stretch. How about asking the advice of a sales associate or bring a friend along for advice next time you go shopping?

do you have any specific pics to post? in general, i think jeans are too tight when you start seeing bulges and rolls in all kinds of places and you aren't able to comfortably zip up your jeans. and most jeans that have stretch will initially be tighter after you wash and dry them, but after a wear or 2, they'll stretch back out to their original size. so if 27 is too big when they stretch out, go for a 26. you don't have to skip down to a 25 unless that's truly your size (by measurement). IMO, jeans that are tooo tight look worse than jeans that have a little wiggle room.

do you have any specific pics to post? in general, i think jeans are too tight when you start seeing bulges and rolls in all kinds of places and you aren't able to comfortably zip up your jeans. and most jeans that have stretch will initially be tighter after you wash and dry them, but after a wear or 2, they'll stretch back out to their original size. so if 27 is too big when they stretch out, go for a 26. you don't have to skip down to a 25 unless that's truly your size (by measurement). IMO, jeans that are tooo tight look worse than jeans that have a little wiggle room.

I wore the 27 when I was 20 pounds heavier. I also have a pair of 26 and they are a smidge big. The 25 seemed to fit so I didn't think changing 2 sizes after losing 20 pounds was too much. I don't mind a little wiggle room I just keep ending up with lots of excess fabric which seems weird. It has been so long since I've been this size and actually bought jeans instead of just wearing whatever I had whether it fit or not, so I am confused.

You probably have not gotten much of a response because the answer to your question seems pretty obvious and is totally subjective. Jeans should be as tight as you prefer them to be. Personally, I prefer mine to be form-fitting, but not uncomfortable. And, no, not all jeans stretch. How about asking the advice of a sales associate or bring a friend along for advice next time you go shopping?

I realize that it is subjective but I don't know what will look "bad" to the general public and I don't want to look like an idiot. I liked the 25, there was nothing hanging out and no rolls or anything, but they are a little tight and 27 to 25 is a big jump for me. I like to be able to wear my jeans two times before washing, so while the 26 are tolerable the first wear, by the second they are visibly bunching.

i can fit into 25, but size 26 is more comfortable, even if there is a bit of wiggle room and "bunching" i don't mind too much. :smile: i would say go with what feels comfortable to you.

^but what looks "bad" to the general public is also subjective. Some people would rather see someone in super-tight jeans and some people would prefer to someone in looser fitting jeans. Not only is your opinion subjective, but so is everyone else's. How about just focusing on your opinion?

I think if the 25's fit..and like you said.. there was nothing hanging out or rolling over..I would get those...most jeans..not all.. have stretch in them and will stretch out. I think COH's have some.

^but what looks "bad" to the general public is also subjective. Some people would rather see someone in super-tight jeans and some people would prefer to someone in looser fitting jeans. Not only is your opinion subjective, but so is everyone else's. How about just focusing on your opinion?

Why do you have to be so uppity every time you respond? If I wanted to focus on my opinion, I wouldn't be asking for other people's. The whole point is that I want other opinions. If it is so offensive to you I want another opinion, then don't come in this thread and don't answer me. I am just looking for input from others so that I can make a more informed decision. It has been so long since I've bought jeans I've forgotten what I want or what I think looks acceptable.

Um, okay. I'm not exactly sure what being "uppity" means or how it relates to me telling you that you should wear the jeans that you're comfortable with??? There really is no need to be rude. If you don't care for my replies, then perhaps you can move on to the next post? I apologize if you felt that I was being offensive, but I can assure you that that was not my intention. I was only trying to convey that tight jeans are a matter of personal taste.
It sounds like you felt that the 26 was more comfortable. Have you considered alterations? Often times, I find comfortable jeans, but they are too long and/or there is a gap at the waist, so I have them altered for a perfect fit.

Last edited:
I realize this doesn't help much, but I can usually tell by trying on the size smaller in the dressing room. There is usually something about one of the two - usually something non-specific that I cannot pin point - that looks worse than the other. For example, I sometimes don't realize there was bunching at the top until I try on the smaller size, or sometimes I don't realize that the smaller pair pulled oddly on the leg when I sat down until I try on the bigger size. It IS subjective, but generally I try to avoid bunching at the crotch, as that tends to get worse if jeans stretch at all. I try to make sure they are comfortable and do not create a line across the abdomen when I sit, and that they are not tight enough to pull oddly on the thighs. But me telling you, "I can just TELL when I try them on" doesn't really help much.

Maybe bringing a friend with you or talking with a trusted SA could help. A friend might know your style better and help you guage what gives you the look you are going for.

IMO, if you have to suck in your tummy to easily close the jeans, they're too small--after a large meal you may have some unsightly bulges or rolls. Comfort comes first--pants aren't comfy if they're too small or if you have to keep pulling them back up (and feel the weird flappy, extra fabric sensation at the back of the thighs).