Jean Schlumberger Fanclub

Well, I bought the sixteen stone ring today… Now that I’m priced out of the bird on a rock :’)

You bought a really beautiful piece in the sixteen stone. I think I remember your thread about what to buy when you were considering the victoria, were you considering a butterlfy brooch as well? For what it's worth, I think you'll get much more wear out of your victoria than the bird on a rock. Has the secondhand market prices caught up with the retail increase yet? Or do they even come on the market that often?

Reactions: JulieKat
It is a stunning piece!
You mentioned this bird on the rock a few times, can you post a pic so we can see what you are pining for?

D2C91375-FDA5-439A-9383-7186355F9CF3.jpeg
Thank you! Yes, the bird on a rock is this one. I would’ve gone the citrine. At the time, the brooch was still 35,000 and the bracelet had just gone up to 46,000. I know, it’s silly that I want a brooch. They’re not even that wearable on a daily basis. Everyone around me thought it would be a poor purchase. Still, I feel like I missed out.

You bought a really beautiful piece in the sixteen stone. I think I remember your thread about what to buy when you were considering the victoria, were you considering a butterlfy brooch as well? For what it's worth, I think you'll get much more wear out of your victoria than the bird on a rock. Has the secondhand market prices caught up with the retail increase yet? Or do they even come on the market that often?

I did a quick search. It looks like the bird on a rock usually sells for around 30–40k. Not that I could find any current listings. Surprising that the resell value is slightly higher than the retail price was at the time.

You’re right. A bracelet gets more wear. I wear my bracelet every day. I think it’s just typical buyer’s remorse. I just never thought the brooch would end up costing more than the bracelet, especially in under a year’s time. I made my purchase in July.

My SA and I were both shocked. She said it was bizarre, because nothing about the brooch has changed to warrant such a drastic price jump. It has never been that popular, and the stone (citrine/amethyst) isn’t rare or valuable. Also, the brooch was much less expensive than other pieces at Tiffany. Now a chunk of citrine/amethyst is worth more than some high jewelry pieces. She thinks that the price will go down, because the pricing doesn’t make any sense.

I did a quick search. It looks like the bird on a rock usually sells for around 30–40k. Not that I could find any current listings. Surprising that the resell value is slightly higher than the retail price was at the time.

You’re right. A bracelet gets more wear. I wear my bracelet every day. I think it’s just typical buyer’s remorse. I just never thought the brooch would end up costing more than the bracelet, especially in under a year’s time. I made my purchase in July.

My SA and I were both shocked. She said it was bizarre, because nothing about the brooch has changed to warrant such a drastic price jump. It has never been that popular, and the stone (citrine/amethyst) isn’t rare or valuable. Also, the brooch was much less expensive than other pieces at Tiffany. Now a chunk of citrine/amethyst is worth more than some high jewelry pieces. She thinks that the price will go down, because the pricing doesn’t make any sense.

The price hike was insane -and this is a world where we now see Chanel hike leather 5 times a year....crazy. Perhaps it will go down - but wouldn't the company lose face by cutting prices so drastically?

Would you actually wear the brooch? I think it's a stunning work of art....but I would really struggle to wear something like it. I know people say it jazzes up a black jacket but generally when I'm wearing a black jacket I'm going to work or something sombre, where I can't really wear such a eye-catching piece.

The price hike was insane -and this is a world where we now see Chanel hike leather 5 times a year....crazy. Perhaps it will go down - but wouldn't the company lose face by cutting prices so drastically?

Would you actually wear the brooch? I think it's a stunning work of art....but I would really struggle to wear something like it. I know people say it jazzes up a black jacket but generally when I'm wearing a black jacket I'm going to work or something sombre, where I can't really wear such a eye-catching piece.

I guess it’s true. There aren’t many opportunities to wear an extravagant brooch in day to day life. I just think it’s nice to have. I always tell myself that I could sell it one day and make profit, but I still haven’t sold any of my jewelry.

I don’t feel hopeful that the price will go back down to how it was. But I still cling on to the idea that corporate will change its mind. I don’t know anyone who would buy a $35,000 brooch for $75,000 when there are so many more wearable (and better value) items. The company probably doesn’t think most customers know what the price used to be for Schlumberger, so they think the exorbitant price increase will slide past without notice. But for some of us, the brooch price is just unrealistic now. It clearly doesn’t reflect the cost of the piece or its desirability.

Hi @MatAllston I did not ask because they were definitely out of my budget haha)))). I had a look at other pieces though for which I've got the pricing.
For example this one, Platinum/18K Yellow Gold Stitches Diamond Ring is 45,900 SGD.

View attachment 5053551

I can appreciate the price tag for unique pieces with fantastic workmanship but soleste pieces with quite average stones and very standard settings feel extremely overpriced to me. They had a Soleste kunzite ring for a fortune over there and I have an independently sourced stone at home with much better colour, untreated and for a fraction of the price as well.
I have always wanted this ring!