Jealous

I hadn't noticed this. I just thought when people said "Not everyone can afford designer" they were just stating a fact. Not everyone can so it didn't bother me. :P

I don't think it matters to us whether the bags are high, low or somewhere in between. We pursebloggers just love bags!:love:

edsbgrl said:
I don't think it matters to us whether the bags are high, low or somewhere in between. We pursebloggers just love bags!:love:

Agreed! I've never seen any jealousy of any type on this board... come on, it's just a bag that we all WAY over-paid for!!! :nuts: No matter what type of bag it is, or whatever style, you all know that you are spending 2 much on your addiction! I recently spend over $600 in the last month on my Coach bags :amazed: (which I love, even more than I love LV, Chanel.. etc. & not because they are affordable, because they are beautiful! :love: )

We are are equal here, regardless of your bag preferences. Think about it..

Lets say I make $900 every month, I spend at least $300 on a bag!

Lets say someone else makes $4,000 a month, they spend about $1,300 on bags.

It may seem like a big difference, but we are actually spending the same percentage of our monthly income to fuel our addictions!!!

Tanja said:
I haven't noticed it at all but that's may be just me being insensitive:biggrin: I think we are a lovely community united through our true love towards bags (I mean all bags as well the non-brad bags). I'm grateful that there is a place out there where I can be frank about my addiction without getting the "look":nuts: . I actually wouldn't have discovered my true love (my paddy) without joining pb because I didn't know anything about it and in the beginning I thought:OMG what an ugly bag but it has grown on me, thanks to the show case and all paddy fans. So that ae just my 2 cents(I love that expression, another thing what I like here I improve my English). So take care girls because I really like you a lot every one of you!:love: :love:

Ditto-ditto-ditto! Tanja!! And that paddy is starting to grow on me too:lol:

I can also see why someone may take something posted out of context. No matter who posts something about a bag they just purchased everyone of us started somewhere and I bet in most cases it wasn't a bag over $1000.00.

I love bags and was in J. Crew last night. There was a cute tote there that I didn't pick up. Not because it was from J. Crew but because I have a no purchase until Jan. 06 agreement going on!!!

I just love bags:love:

tln said:
I have not noticed this "jealousy" either. The only problem I have with Coach is that, being from the Midwest, it is everywhere! I saw someone wearing a Botkier the other day and was surprised. I come here because people post actual photos of themselves carrying whatever bag, and I can tell if I would like something similar. I like the reviews too, when people say what they like or dislike about the bag. Another good thing about the forum is that you can ask questions about retailers or get tips about sales. Oklahoma, where I live, is not a shopping Mecca, so I appreciate that. Here is a smiley for all of you: :biggrin:

Where I live in Illinois isn't what I'd call a shopping Mecca either. :lol: I doubt very much that anyone around here can tell the difference between my "purchased on clearance Hype bag for less than $100" and my "ridiculously overpriced Celine bag." I don't really care - I purchase bags based on what I fancy, and if what I fancy is an inexpensive bag, then I consider it a bonus!

It'd be nice to think that there is room for people of all tastes in bags here.

serendipity3kb said:
I can also see why someone may take something posted out of context. No matter who posts something about a bag they just purchased everyone of us started somewhere and I bet in most cases it wasn't a bag over $1000.00.

I love bags and was in J. Crew last night. There was a cute tote there that I didn't pick up. Not because it was from J. Crew but because I have a no purchase until Jan. 06 agreement going on!!!

I just love bags:love:

Oops...ment Jan. 07...I think I was dreaming lol

serendipity3kb said:
Oops...ment Jan. 07...I think I was dreaming lol

I was reading this and going! You're already there! Start thinking of your want-list!!!

I don't know if it's envy or jealousy or whatever you want to call it... but there are some purses here that people own that I like a lot and sure would love to own it myself (e.g. Sweetea's Ostrich Ferragamo!) But I accept the fact that I have to live vicariously through my fellow purse bloggers. There are only so many purses that I am willing to spend my money on!

I haven't noticed any nastiness or snobbiness by anyone here, but I tend to be rather blunt also, so it doesn't bother me when people are blunt right back at me. I don't think the price has anything to do with the purse other than exactly that (the price). You can pay an arm and a leg for a shoddily made bag or you can pay a lot less for it too. In the end, for me, it's the aesthetics and the quality. A cheaply made purse is just that... and a purse that I find ugly... is just that to me too. I remember a time when I thought a coach bag was expensive. (It's kind of funny to think back on that!)

I actually find this forum far more supportive about our obsessing than a lot of others around. I don't think the brand name has anything to do with it. It's either a great purse or not. You can't read too much into what people write because like everyone else has said, you don't know exactly how they meant it.

Luvboogie-I love "ridiculously overpriced Celine" bags! In fact, that will probably be my next ridiculously overpriced purchase. But, you are so right....in the Midwest, who can tell what you've spent a ridiculous amount of cash for and what you got a great deal on?

Not to be the grammar police, but just FYI, the meaning of jealousy is being afraid that someone is going to take away something you have (e.g. to guard jealously). Envy is wanting what someone else has.

I think envy is not always a bad thing. If someone else has something you want, and you can say "Yes! That's what I want too!" it can be a positive motivator. It's only a negative force when you resent the other person for having what they do, and feel like they don't deserve it, or whatever.

pseub said:
Not to be the grammar police, but just FYI, the meaning of jealousy is being afraid that someone is going to take away something you have (e.g. to guard jealously). Envy is wanting what someone else has.

I think envy is not always a bad thing. If someone else has something you want, and you can say "Yes! That's what I want too!" it can be a positive motivator. It's only a negative force when you resent the other person for having what they do, and feel like they don't deserve it, or whatever.

LOL, that's funny that you point that out, but it's true!!

IntlSet said:
To each her own thread, right? We can keep out of it if we don't like it.

I agree, that's exactly what I've been doing. If I don't like the thread, I simply do NOT participate. If someone deliberately ask for honest opinion, ok we can express our opinion without being too negative and offensive (e.g. there is a big difference in 'it's just not my cup of tea' vs 'it's so ugly and cheap, I don't see what people see in it')

We are all so different, it's inevitable to have different taste and opinion here, that's what makes it fun and I personally think the differences among us have broaden our horizon for that be taste of bags or our perspective in the world.

Re. people's opinion China made goods, there are different opinion of a number of areas, the two major ones are quality and retail prices. These two factors do not only exist in bags. In terms of quality, I just look at it as a common problem with things made anywhere else in the world. And it's just impossible to avoid buying things made in China, let's take US as an example, China is the second largest exporter of goods to the United States (slight behind Canada, and will surpass Canada in the coming 2 years). Another point is, a lot of the parts of a "non-Chinese made" goods are made in China, then assemble in the imported country so it still says "made in" the said country.

Sorry, I think I said too much and am degrassing now...sorry:shame:

pseub said:

jeal·ous ([FONT=verdana, sans-serif] P [/FONT]) Pronunciation Key (j
ebreve.gif
l
prime.gif
schwa.gif
s)
adj.
  1. Fearful or wary of being supplanted; apprehensive of losing affection or position.
    1. <LI type=a>Resentful or bitter in rivalry; envious: jealous of the success of others.
    2. Inclined to suspect rivalry.
  2. Having to do with or arising from feelings of envy, apprehension, or bitterness: jealous thoughts.
  3. Vigilant in guarding something: We are jealous of our good name.
  4. Intolerant of disloyalty or infidelity; autocratic: a jealous God.
I looked it up on dictionary.com. So, number two is the meaning I wanted and it fit. :amuse: Thanks your for your opinion, though.

So far I don't think I see any jealousy, I think maybe just envy and alot of admiration. I think sometimes it's just the words being misinterpreted and it's so hard to tell since you are only typing not like you can actually hear the person. Most people here are very nice.We are just here to talk about the bags ,get idea of what we going to buy , look at other people's collection,or just ask questions in general. This should be a relax place and if anything just take it easy but don't take it personally.

tln said:
Luvboogie-I love "ridiculously overpriced Celine" bags! In fact, that will probably be my next ridiculously overpriced purchase. But, you are so right....in the Midwest, who can tell what you've spent a ridiculous amount of cash for and what you got a great deal on?

Since more people where I live recognize Coach than my Celines (two "seasonal" Boogies and a Verdine), I'm far more likely to get attention and compliments when I carry a Coach bag. I guess if all I wanted was attention, I'd be saving a lot of money on bags! :biggrin: