Jax says "No price matching. Ever." - FP store says "Absolutely"! (And more!)

Oct 21, 2012
During the Macy's "One Day Sale" this weekend, I noticed that they had the UV and Black Legacy Haircalf Pocket Candace on sale from $798 down to $558.60 = 30% off. I have all 3 haircalf Candace bags, but just bought the UV less than 2 weeks ago at FP. So I called Jax and asked if they ever did price adjustments, because I *hate* returning things, I get so embarrassed, and I was even planning on going to a FP store where they don't know me to return it if they wouldn't price match it. $240 is a pretty significant amt of money (as far as I'm concerned). She told me no, they never ever ever price match anyone, ever. I asked if they would be willing to do it for store credit, because I was planning on spending the difference on a new duffle as it was (the Legacy UV). Nope, can't do that either. Sigh. Ok, thank you anyway :sad:

So I order the Macy's sale Candace online, and head out to the mall to return the one I have and buy the duffle. When I get to the FP store and tell her shamefacedly what the issue was (she was SO SWEET!!), she said they price match ALL THE TIME!! And would have totally price matched my bag in a heartbeat, whether or not they knew I was planning on spending the difference in the store. She ALSO price matched the duffle kit I ordered to Lord & Taylor, where they're on sale for $75 (appx) instead of the reg $99 Coach is still selling them for. (I think Macy's has them for $68, but Lord & Taylor has more colors) All I had to do was show her the Lord & Taylor website and voila! another $25 saved.

We chatted a bit about my collection (I've literally lost count...More than 30, less than 50? About 1/2 and 1/2 vintage and fp new. I went kinda nuts when I discovered Coach ;)) and how I was always crossing my fingers that I'd eventually start getting PCEs. (I swear this day was like a dream hahha) Well she tells me that she'd be happy to apply the PCE for me even if I never got on the list, and as a matter of fact, since they are going to have an event starting in 10 days anyway, she'd go ahead and apply it that night for me if there was anything else I'd like to get, that way I wouldn't have to come all the way back.......OMG!!!! :yahoo::happydance: How awesome is *that*?? I ended up adding a bracelet and key chain (I pretty much already have all of the available bags I want, or I'd have definitely grabbed another bag, and if my bff hadn't been in such a hurry to get to Sephora, I'd for sure have found some other thing I didn't need but *had* to buy hahahah)

So anyhow, the important points of the story are
1. Jax is *not* the final word when it comes to Coach service

2. Coach *will* price match, just like the dept stores do

3. If you develop a good rapport with the SAs and Mgrs, it's fairly easy to get the PCE even if you don't officially receive one

(I get it at 2 stores now, per the mgrs because even tho I've returned stuff, they *see* me carrying their bags, I gush about new bags or Holy Grail bags and "collectors" are important to the boutiques, and while I used to always buy online, I've learned that it's worth the extra effort to show my face in-store and order the bags through them if they aren't bags they stock. Even when I'm not buying, I stop in to look around and say hi, and I also make an effort to learn everyone's names. This has literally resulted in getting first dibs at Flagship returns because the SA's who know what I like have held bags in back for me rather than putting them on the floor.)

And 4. For info, pretty much everything (and actually a few MORE) that was on sale during Macy's "One Day Sale", is STILL on sale - including the Black and UV Haircalf Candaces.

XoXo!!

That is just awesome, I'm going to have a little chat with my sa, I was in the store yesterday to look at the Black Courtenay, cause they know I am going to buy one this coming weekend when pce starts, going to ask her why they couldn't have let me go ahead and buy it yesterday instead of having to make another trip.
Anyway, Congrats on all your new goodies.

Just because one store and/or SA does that doesn't mean they all will SO be careful about generalizing. Unfortunately there aren't always consistencies

Wow! This is quite a story; thank you for sharing. Will have to give it a try.

I haven't been into my regular boutique lately because I feel like I am cheating on them with Macy's and Dillard's! I now own a metallic Penny that I won't wear to my FP store because I bought it on sale somewhere else! Sad, isn't it?

I feel a little awkward asking my SA about price matching, but I will just have to get over it. Thanks for the warning, paula3boys, about the inconsistencies among stores; I believe it.

Just because one store and/or SA does that doesn't mean they all will SO be careful about generalizing. Unfortunately there aren't always consistencies

^^ This. Also, don't go into the store demanding anything. It will get you nowhere. :P The SAs know who their return customers are and they are happy to accommodate you.

Congratz, Pink!

So anyhow, the important points of the story are
1. Jax is *not* the final word when it comes to Coach service

2. Coach *will* price match, just like the dept stores do

3. If you develop a good rapport with the SAs and Mgrs, it's fairly easy to get the PCE even if you don't officially receive one

What a great story, thanks for sharing it! I'm so glad you had such a positive experience in the store!

^^ This. Also, don't go into the store demanding anything. It will get you nowhere. :P The SAs know who their return customers are and they are happy to accommodate you.

Congratz, Pink!

+1 here.

Once they know you'll be a repeat boutique customer, they'll keep accommodating you. I always wear bags that are non Coach, or Coach bags I've bought elsewhere, but every PCE I'm usually there buying myself some shoes or something as a gift, they know I'm a repeat customer and they are always accommodating. But being nice on my first few visits really helped. Also helped that I wore a school jacket and my SA is also alumni from my college. Lol.

I suppose I could have added this disclaimer or been less firm about my declarations, but I really kinda thought it went without saying. There are always variables, everywhere. Nordie's price matches, but some SAs will tell you it has to be *exactly* the same item, including color, others aren't so discriminating. Jax has sent some people leather hangtags when requested, but metal to others. I didn't imagine anyone here would go barging into a boutique and demand a price match saying "Well I read on Purse Forum that you DO price match! So there!"

Also, I am always very honestly appreciative of the help I get and any perks I receive, and I make sure to let them know it.

(Personal story of another great customer service experience at Coach - YMMV)
Once, a newer SA was helping me do a return (- try to stay off coach.com if you take Ambien - I ended up with a Leather Color Block New Willis and a Willis wristlet of some sort - I don't even know what it was called because it had never interested me before hahaha They just showed up in the mail one day and I have NO MEMORY of buying them. At ALL! I didn't tell the SA that tho...Shhhhh) and I'd wanted to buy a few of the newer silver tassel key chains but they only had one in stock. So I bought it , planning on coming back the following week when they got more. We'd been having a fun, teasing convo while I was there chattering on like I do, and it looked like he was just going to wrap the item in paper and I was like "Aww! No bag??" (puppy eyes) so he laughed and reached into the drawer for a teeny bag and I said "Wait...Maybe a different one? (more puppy eyes) Like..That one?? --->" and pointed at the largest jewelry bag of the 4 options. He pretended to give me a hard time over it, "Really? You need the biggest one??" but then he just laughed and relented and appeared to be looking under the counter for something he didn't find, and then went to the back. He wasn't gone for 2 minutes, I swear, but he handed me my little paper bag and I asked his name and thanked him and off I went for more Christmas shopping.
Well I shopped til I dropped and didn't get to pull out my new key chain until long after midnight....And it was like a little early Xmas present :biggrin: He had FULLY gift wrapped my key chain in the 90 seconds he was in the back. Ribbon, box, tissue, foil sticker, dust bag and key chain tucked inside. IDK, maybe it was a bigger deal to me than it would be to others, but I was really just so impressed and, well, like I said, I appreciate the little things.

I was going to call the manager to tell her how awesome I thought that was, but was going to be in the area of the store and decided to go in person, instead. At this point I'd only been in the store maybe twice before, so she recognized me but we hadn't had a chance to chat. The SA who had helped me wasn't there, but I told her how good that had made me feel when I opened up my little bag to my surprise gift wrapping. I'd already felt really guilty for returning the bags, so it was especially nice because it made me less embarrassed. I wanted her to know how impressed I was because never having seen me before, not knowing whether I was a collector or a one time buyer, he'd made a simple key chain into a gift on the sly, and that was the sort of thing that set apart good customer service from excellent customer service.

The *next* time I went into the store, everyone said hi and came by to chat for a minute or two and now every time I go, I feel like retail royalty :smile:

Moral of the story?
Rules and stores and SAs and managers and attitudes are different everywhere, so your experience may not be the same as mine, but, you catch more flies with honey than vinegar, so it's always worth being friendly, and if you'd like a special favor, ask! But be humble and clear that you KNOW it's a favor and express how appreciative you'll be. Most people actually *like* to make other people happy, especially when they get to SEE the results. If you ask nice but keep your head turned away and don't make any conversation and act indifferent they have less incentive to say yes than if you've been telling them how much you've been looking forward to "thing A" and you were wondering if there was any way they could help you out? while looking them in the face and actually engaging like a real human and not a retail robot. Just my experience..Again..YMMV ;)

XoxO

That is just awesome, I'm going to have a little chat with my sa, I was in the store yesterday to look at the Black Courtenay, cause they know I am going to buy one this coming weekend when pce starts, going to ask her why they couldn't have let me go ahead and buy it yesterday instead of having to make another trip.
Anyway, Congrats on all your new goodies.
As far as giving me the PCE early, it was a manager who was already price matching 2 items for me at or above the PCE, so that probably had a lot to do with offering to extend it to other items at the same time. I don't think she'd have given it to me early if it had been just a purchase situation. If they gave the PCE price early consistently, there would be no real point in having an "event". That part was completely unexpected and I think due to the special circumstances.

wow thats great to hear abt the price match!!! i just got the uv haircalf from macys and am in love so much to the point I am debating the black as well !!!
OMG...You have to get it..Especially at that price...It's the epitome of class in black. I also have the tourmaline and could just stare at it all day. My Holy Grail is the red one in my avatar... Asian exclusive...I've spent *days* on the auction sites for Japan, China, Korea and Thailand.

148913_4749754993594_434145731_n.jpg

24432_4749756793639_220287475_n.jpg

OMG...You have to get it..Especially at that price...It's the epitome of class in black. I also have the tourmaline and could just stare at it all day. My Holy Grail is the red one in my avatar... Asian exclusive...I've spent *days* on the auction sites for Japan, China, Korea and Thailand.

View attachment 2023100

View attachment 2023101

Oh wow! What is that furry accessory you have on there? I just want to reach through the screen and touch it!

As far as giving me the PCE early, it was a manager who was already price matching 2 items for me at or above the PCE, so that probably had a lot to do with offering to extend it to other items at the same time. I don't think she'd have given it to me early if it had been just a purchase situation. If they gave the PCE price early consistently, there would be no real point in having an "event". That part was completely unexpected and I think due to the special circumstances.

You are so right, I haven't spoken to her, I'm not going until Friday or Saturday, I can wait..

I am so happy that you got the service you deserve! Jax recently told me that they would not do a price adjustment on a briefcase that I had ordered less than 2 weeks before, but the Coach Factory Men's Store did it for me without question and I saved $240!

Oh wow! What is that furry accessory you have on there? I just want to reach through the screen and touch it!

It's a fox tail :smile: The necklace I draped on it looks better in person, it looks weirdly pixilated or something in the photo...That was the haircalf I had taken into the boutique that inspired them to hold the UV haircalf for me rather than put it out on the shelf...

It was like destiny, because I already have the tourmaline also, and had *just* decided I should take a look at the UV, at the very least as an "investment" because it didn't seem like there were nearly as many being purchased as the black and tourmaline. I thought I was going to have to go to San Francisco, about 2 hours away, because that's my nearest Flagship.

Next thing you know, I stop in to "my" boutique just to say hi, and as I walked in the first SA I saw was like "You'll never believe what we just got a few days ago!" hahaha and as we walked to the back of the store, another SA said "HI!" and to the SA with me said "Did you tell her about the bag!?" :smile: So by now, I'm dying of curiosity, and we get to the counter, he goes in back, the other SAs came up front (no joke!!), and he comes out with it still in plastic. Unwraps it and I swear I heard angels playing harps ringing in my ears LOL!! Needless to say, I was a little like Schmegel (sp?) from Lord Of The Rings - "Mine! My Precious!!" and bought it on the spot Hahahahahahahahah

Anyway, I digress, you can find fox tails on eBay pretty cheap, and in any color. All of mine are natural, I have white, grey and white, grey, brown/black/white, and black, but they have pretty much every color you can think of. Just in my small experience, the American/Canadian ones tend to be slightly better quality than the Asian ones, but I'm sure there's a lot of variation. Some come with ball chains attached and others even with carabiner-type clips and some with lobster claw-type clasps. There are tons of them on there, especially this time of year.
:smile:

537281_4833746373326_97353321_n.jpg