Javier Bardem and Penelope Cruz

PenCruzDM0902_228x423.jpg

Actress Cruz alledgedly suffers from panic attacks

Penelope Cruz is reported to have suffered a panic attack on an aeroplane moments before take -off.
The actress had boarded a Continental flight from Newark to Barcelona, where she is due to make a Woody Allen film. Seated in first class and apparently travelling alone, she initially appeared to be alright.

But as the plane started taxi-ing onto the runway, she became agitated, according to fellow passengers.
After a brief conversation between Cruz and a flight attendant, the aircraft returned to the departure gate and she disembarked.
To the consternation of others on the flight, all the luggage was removed from the hold and placed on the runway in driving rain while airport staff searched for the actress's suitcases.
One passenger said: "She was freaking out and refused to fly."
Flight 120 eventually took off nearly two hours late on Thursday evening.
It is not the first time Cruz has had problems flying. Three years ago she was on trip to Mexico with her friend Salma Hayek when their plane was forced to make an emergency landing.
Last night Ms Cruz's publicist Carrie Gordon denied the Oscar-nominated actress had been overcome by nerves. "There was no panic attack", she said.

"The airline let her know there was going to be a three or four hour delay due to the storm. She had work so she figured she'd deplane and fly when the storm had passed."

." A Continental spokesman declined to comment.

By Martin Delgado -

If this is true it is such a DIVA thing to do. Let a normal person want to get off a plane with their luggage???? I don't think so. Maybe she is taking after Britney---the plane wasn't good enough for her.:P

I feel for her but it is gross exploitation of her celeb status - and I can't believe the airline will accept that - the waiting I mean!

If someone really had a panic attack I do think they would take the luggage off and take the person outside because they wouldn't just shut up.

problem is tho, if celebs get away with it, they are gonna pull these kind of stunts!

I feel for her, I hate hate hate to fly, absolutely terrifies me, so travelling alone would be impossible, but I agree, I dont somehow think that they would stop the flight for a regular joe public!!

OH God, I hate flying and I had the same thing happen to me before we were to take off to VEGAS...My xanax had not kicked in yet and I was awful, they did let me leave the plane.. after I calmed down I was allowed to re-board the plane- the flight attendant told me the Pilot really wanted to put me off the plane-- i am surprised they waited for me and alowed me to come back... and this did cause a delay in the flight...it happens to me everytime the plane is about to pull off.. i know how she feels its the worse FEAR to ever have.....

I'm wondering how much Ms Cruz has flown in her life... hmmmm.. probably more than *most* of us on this board. She certainly doesn't swim from Spain to the US. I don't buy the anxiety b.s. Sorry.

She needs to get her own plane if this is a regular occurrence. I have sympathy for people that are not comfortable flying, but she should take some sort of drug that will allow her to fly.

If this is true it is such a DIVA thing to do. Let a normal person want to get off a plane with their luggage???? I don't think so. Maybe she is taking after Britney---the plane wasn't good enough for her.:P

They do let "normal" people do that too. I have a friend that gets really bad panic attacks. She was on a plane going to Hawaii, and she had one as they were getting ready to take off. She said it was the worst feeling of her life because she couldn't stop the attack from happening and the attack kept getting worse because she knew she was causing a lot of trouble for other people on the plane and all eyes were on her.

Panic attacks are horrible to you when they're happening, especially if you're not on medication to control them. If that's what happened to Penelope, I'm glad they were able to get her off the plane before they took off.

I can totally empathise with her being afraid of flying but you know if you want to travel you just gotta deal with it & get on with it! You are safer up there than on the roads!
I totally agree that they would not have delayed the flight for an ordinary member of the public. Many people panic every day on flights but they just have to deal with it.

I get panic anxiety attacks and flying is the worst. I have taken medication and never had a problem flying. I guess they will let a normal person off the plane but I know that there is no way a normal person would get the star treatment and have their luggage taken out of the cargo hold and the plane wait for 2+hours. They would sent your luggage with the plane.