Japanese Sellers

Does anyone know why so many of the second-hand LVs are sold out of Japan? I have bought one pre-loved LV on Ebay (authenticated here), but it was from a US seller. I am hesitant about the sellers out of Japan because I just don't understand why most of the pre-loved items are coming from there.

Easy. Japan simply is one of the largest markets for LV, has been for decades. A very large segment of global LV buyers. This is coupled with the fact that the Japanese turn over their luxury items to the resale market at a very brisk rate, in order to buy new current items.

Reactions: Brits'n'Pieces
Does anyone know why so many of the second-hand LVs are sold out of Japan? I have bought one pre-loved LV on Ebay (authenticated here), but it was from a US seller. I am hesitant about the sellers out of Japan because I just don't understand why most of the pre-loved items are coming from there.

I have read some news articles about this. What I understand, in Japan Louis Vuitton isn't a luxury handbag brand anymore. It is now to be considered as a "middle class" secratary bag/brand. At least the most common ones, monogram etc. Hermes and Chanel are now the lux bags for the rich people high in society and they are getting rid off LV's. That's how I've understood it :smile: And Japanese are big spenders on these items so they have bought lots and lots of LV's so that's why there are so many. If someone has another angle, please share!

I have read some news articles about this. What I understand, in Japan Louis Vuitton isn't a luxury handbag brand anymore. It is now to be considered as a "middle class" secratary bag/brand. At least the most common ones, monogram etc. Hermes and Chanel are now the lux bags for the rich people high in society and they are getting rid off LV's. That's how I've understood it :smile: !

That's not accurate: the news article was about China, not Japan. My previous post explains the prevalence of used LV in the Japanese luxury market.

Easy. Japan simply is one of the largest markets for LV, has been for decades. A very large segment of global LV buyers. This is coupled with the fact that the Japanese turn over their luxury items to the resale market at a very brisk rate, in order to buy new current items.

Ah thanks! that makes sense. I remembered Google is my friend, so I did a little research and was reminded home storage space can be in limited supply in Japan, so rather than "collecting" luxury items, Japanese will often need to get rid of their stuff to make room for new. I also read a very interesting book by a Japanese woman, Marie Kondo, about decluttering. I think getting rid of stuff not used is common there, and not so much in the US.

japan was the first asian country were LV opened a flagship store after noticing how many japanese tourist would go to france and buy LV, a jellyv said, the turnover of luxury items is high so there is a need for a secondary market and those japanese ebay sellers are clever to get into the international market plus japan is known for having very strict policies regarding selling and shipping of fake items

I have bought from few sellers from Japan and had the items authenticated here and on a Louis Vuitton store or by authentication service. Only one strike so far and ebay handeled it very well. Because it was only just under 70$ ebay refunded me fully and adviced to destroy the item, because it wasn't worth sending back. I am very carefull buying in internet anywhere. But I have made good founds from japan! elady, ginza-japan, rba_japan, ertc-japan179, kurotoa, brandoff. The fake came from love_peace-tokyo (authenticated on a Louis Vuitton store).

How do you have it authenticated at the LV store?

How do you have it authenticated at the LV store?

I've heard and read that the SA's in USA will not authenticate anything on store. But in europe they do. And I quite trust them. Many people here do it all the time. I know it is not what they are trained to do, but I usually use my own SA and I know he's very good at what he does and I think he even has somekind of education making/repairing/handeling leather and things like that. I do use real authentication services quite much but it is always different to really see and most importantly feel the product in your hands. If I can, I do both.

And you can only get a verbal opinnion of the items authenticity. Never in written. In europe, you can even send email to the store with pictures about authenticity, but they always call back and tell their opinnion. And the third option around here is to physically send the item to the store (you pay all shipping of course) and they will look at it there and call you with their opinnion and then send back. I've heard few people doing that too. I think it is really good service.

I've been to Japan several times.
Louis Vuitton is like a typical handbag over there .
If Coach & Michael Kors &Tory are popular over here , then in Japan it was LV and Chanel,Hermes.

They work hard for their money and luxury brands are one of their weaknesses .
Resell / Resale market in Japan is very high , but buyers are mostly coming from USA , Europe , South American and other parts of ASIA

I've heard and read that the SA's in USA will not authenticate anything on store. But in europe they do. And I quite trust them. Many people here do it all the time. I know it is not what they are trained to do, but I usually use my own SA and I know he's very good at what he does and I think he even has somekind of education making/repairing/handeling leather and things like that. I do use real authentication services quite much but it is always different to really see and most importantly feel the product in your hands. If I can, I do both.

And you can only get a verbal opinnion of the items authenticity. Never in written. In europe, you can even send email to the store with pictures about authenticity, but they always call back and tell their opinnion. And the third option around here is to physically send the item to the store (you pay all shipping of course) and they will look at it there and call you with their opinnion and then send back. I've heard few people doing that too. I think it is really good service.

Which part of Europe are you in as none of the UK stores will entertain you sending photos in for an authentication?

It cannot be stressed enough that sales associates are just that. There to sell. Whilst some of them have been there a long time and know enough to authenticate, many do not and carte-blanche statements about being able to trust stores in this regard is very misleading. I have had LV authenticate an item I personally bought in store as a fake. It was many, many years ago in the height of multicolore madness (2003) when items were selling for double their retail value on ebay. I bought an item in one store, took it to another store to ask for an authentication saying I'd bought it on ebay and it was declared fake.

So, as with most things in life, buyer beware.

Can any of you ladies recommend a Japanese seller that you trust? I have always bought from US sellers but the Japanese sellers have much better prices. Thanks!
I just bought a bag from Japan and am awaiting her arrival. I went by feedback and photos. I'm trying to figure out how and where to get it authenticated as it's my first LV bag. I do notice Japanese sellers are the bulk of the classic bags on ebay it seems. I love the classic monogram look.

I just bought a bag from Japan and am awaiting her arrival. I went by feedback and photos. I'm trying to figure out how and where to get it authenticated as it's my first LV bag. I do notice Japanese sellers are the bulk of the classic bags on ebay it seems. I love the classic monogram look.

Search the forum for authentication services - there are plenty of recommendations.