Japanese hair straightening

I had this done about 3 years ago and I loved it!!! My hair was slightly wavy but very frizzy at the ends. I color and highlight so I went with the Bio-Ionic system which is made specifically for treated hair. My hair ended up looking fantastic and seemed to be in better condition after the procedure. I had a friend who had virgin hair and she went with the RuskStr8 and was thrilled. As soon as my hair grows out I will definitely get it done again. I went from spending over an hour drying and straightening my hair down to about 10 minutes tops and it looked better!!

I've done something called "Smoothing"
it's better that bonding because it wont damage ur hair, but make it smoother and straighten it..and it could last for about 6-8months..

Hey, PinkPudding, where do you get this done in SF? How much do they charge? I'm interested in trying this procedure, but what are the possible problems associated with it? For example, if I color my hair (which I do frequently because I am a color junky), could may hair break off?

it's preferred that it has to be done with "virgin" hair. i've gotten it done twice. the first time, i had color treated hair and it was done here in NJ. it was the worst experience ever. my hair, sure, it came out super straight, but my hair was damaged!!! it was breaking and falling off...

i went to the Philippines the next summer and had it redone and they treated it. i loved my hair. i colored it like twice after that and no damage!!

i had it done again last year. it's still straight now. i had it relaxed the other day just to freshen it up too.

to sum it up, i suggest having the treatment done! =)

Is it true, though, that you hair must be "virgin" (no bleach or dye)?
No, it is not true that you have to have virgin hair although it will be easier. My hair is colored and highlighted(no bleach - just hi lift) The highlighted pieces need to be protected and the time the solution is on has to be carefully watched. If most of your color is done with bleach, I think you will have a hard time finding someone who would take the chance on doing it..... your hair will just break too easily.

i had it done many years ago by a very reliable hairstylist. but the whole process just created a wreack out of my hair. i have only slightly wavy hair and i did it bcoss i wanted the perfectly straight and glossy look.

it came out looking nice, straight and glossy. but after a while, my hair went very dry and brittle and i developed split ends. (could be bcause i color my hair) I'd NEVER had split ends before that. it took me 2+ years to get rid of the split ends.
the more terrible thing was that it got all sticky and clumpy after a while. it was like this thick mess that i couldn't comb of untangle.

i let it all grow out and never did it again.

I love it! It's the best and the only thing I ever do to my hair. I get it done pretty much once every year or a year and a half. I always try to get it done when I go to Asia, because it's slightly cheaper there. ;)

Matrix has an alternative to the Japanese and thermal reconditioning that gives very similar results for a much cheaper price. I used it on my son-and it uses the flat iron during processing also for that ultra straight look, and takes a few hours to do. His results were amazing, silky smooth fresh out of the shower. Then he dyed his hair black and it brooke off, so he has short hair now. But he had his hair straightened other ways and his hair would never be completely straight. This way it was.

i actually get my hair japanese straightened ever four months just for the past two years, the product the stylist uses is called Rusk Str8. It's fantastic. My hair has never been so nice!

I have done this 3 times and love it! The first time lasted 7 months, the second time 9 months and the third remains to be seen. I live in Orange County and I found someone who does it + haircut for $250, which in this area is a steal (or so I'm told). It does look really odd when growing out though, LOL! I highly recommend it, but as the PP said, make sure you go to someone who is recommended. I found my lady through a friend.

Yes, it's very very important to find a good stylist for this, because the more attention the stylist gives your hair during the process, the longer the final result will last. My stylist in Shanghai, whom I go to everytime I visit there, is a perfectionist. Everytime I went for a straightening, he's spent 7 HOURS on my hair. It was as if he made sure each strand of my hair was straightened! As a result, I only need to get it done once a year. :smile:

I get it done and love it! It used to take me over an hour to do my hair straight or curly. Now it's no more than 20 minutes. Plus I don't have to worry about humidity or rain curling my hair up! My husband loves it because I'm no longer neurotic about my hair.

I go to a Korean salon to have it done (they call it a Japanese Perm) and they use Liscio. My first treatment took 8+ hours ($250 not including tip), my 2nd took about 5 hrs ($180 not including tip) because they only did my roots. The next time will be about 8+ again b/c they'll be doing my whole head. (Unfortunately my hair grows pretty fast, so I have to go every 5-6 months.)

I have done this perm in korean barber shop on 32 str, 6 avenue in Manhattan. That time my hairs was short, charged 300$. And lasts over 8 months. Great feeling, my hairs was super straight, more shiny, and saved my time, every morning.