Food Japanese food experts!

sweetlove

O.G.
Mar 9, 2006
Hi, I really love sushi and those noodles that they serve in sushi resturants, but everytime I try to recreate it at home (I love hours away from the closest sushiplace, so I've tried to do it by myself some times) it ends up tasting like cr*p:sick:

I use sushi rice when I'm making sushi, and I follow the instructions on the package, but it always ends up tasting like "water" or just really weird, so it ends up getting really disgusting pretty much everytime.

I also really love the noodles I get at sushi resturants - the ones with vegetables and beef or some other meat, but I can't seem to understand what to make them with to get that same "salty" taste that they have in the resturants, so can anybody please help me and tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Do you have an oriental grocery store near you? many of the products can be found there - like sauces, etc. I tried different ones to get the taste I wanted but since the names are not "brand" i can't tell you them. hopefully, others can give you specific ones.

I make "sticky rice" - very easy. it comes out just like in the restaurant. not wet at all. the rice itself is actually called sticky rice and the sauce is made with rice vinegar and sugar.
hope this is a little helpful :smile:

Thanks!:flowers: I've usually bought the igredients in the "exotic" part of the supermarked, but the oriental grocery store probably has a better selection and people who can explain better what to do.. I'm definately going there this week :smile:
I tried to make the sticky rice with sugar once, but it came out waaaaay to sweet (although I followed the instructions on the package), so I'm starting to think I'm just hopeless, lol.

Try your local Asian grocery store, to make sushi rice, you need:
-Japanese short-grain rice
-Japanese sushi vinegar
POINT: Use a wood spoon, mix the vinegar with the rice while its hot!

About ramen (noodle)soup, you need:
-Dashi (a japanese stock made from dried bonito or dried kelp or a mixture of the two depending on the flavour desired)
-Sea salt
-Soy sauce
-Mirin (a mixture of a variant of sake with sugar)

To make shoyu (soy sauce) ramen stock
: I usually stir 1&1/2 teaspoons of dashi into 600 ml of cold water and bring to the boil, and then 3 tablespoons soy sauce and 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon mirin, and a pinch of freshly ground black pepper.

You can get an electrical rice cooker from Costco for about $25. This way you'll get perfect rice every time. I use powder form of sushi mixture. It comes in a small envelope and all you have to do is sprinkle over the cooked rice. What kind of noodle are you interested in? Fried(Yakisoba) or soup based(Udon or Ramen)?

Cool! I've been wanting a rice cooker for quite some time now, so this is an excellent oportunity to get one. I actually like pretty much all kinds of noodles, so I'm mostly interested in both, although bb10ue gave a good description of ramen above, so it's fried that I don't master the art of cooking. I'm so hopeless, lol
:flowers: