Japan & Hong Kong in late February

1. The Nordstrom Anniversary Sale 2019 is now open to the public! Please support TPF by using this link before shopping the sale.
    We're also giving away five more $200 gift cards during the duration of the NAS! Find out more...
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. Hi All,

SO and I are going to Hong Kong for 2 weeks, and joining a Japan tour group from there for 1 of the 2 weeks. We'll be flying in to Hong Kong, spending a day in Macau, then leave for our 7 day tour of Japan, then coming back to Hong Kong for a few more days before leaving.

The Japan tour takes us to 5 cities: Otaru, Hakodate, Morioka, Sendai and Tokyo. Since it's guided, our time is most likely limited. Does anyone have any suggestions on hidden gems in those areas? Food/shopping... etc. For sure, we are visiting a musical box museum, I was also wondering if anyone has ever heard of being able to buy an apple tree there, where they send you apples once it harvests...

Suggestions for Hong Kong is also greatly appreciates. =D

Thanks sooo much!!!!

2. If you have a free meal and you like Shanghainese food, I recommend Xiao Nang Guo (little southern country). The food is ridiculously good there. Also, mangosteens are really cheap there. I stuff myself on them when I'm there!

While in you're in Macau, make sure you try Dun Nai (steamed custard milk). It's fantastic. I'm not a fan of ginger so I always order it plain.

Hope you have a great trip!!

3. Hi there:

When in tokyo :
    buy Kit kat chocs soy sauce, ginger ale, red bean flavors (you can buy these at convenient stores or airport)
    buy burberry blue label only sold in japan i think
    eat at a do-it-yourself okonomiyaki place
    go to akihabara and visit a maid cafe
    go to miraikan to see asimo (robot)
    go to harajuku to see cosuplayers (people, mostly teens displaying their costume mostly gothic lolita style)
    go to shibuya 109 and see beautiful and fashionable sales associates and visit cecil mcbee and liz lisa
    have your nails done (they do nail art to the next level)

When in hong kong:
    go to fa yuen market : just like ladies market but more targeted for teens but cheaper. buy cute shoes and clothes
    ride boat from hong kong island to kowloon, nice expereince
    i only do shopping in hong kong, not much to see IMO

4. In Hong Kong take the ferry to Kowloon and go into the Harbour Mall. Get a bowl of noodles and do some luxury shopping. The ferry is half of the fun.

Go to the peak at night for the city view. I liked riding the subway and just getting on/off randomly.

Take a taxi to Stanley market. This is little shopping kiosks from fruit to jewelry. Great spot for people watching. We love the immaculately groomed dogs ( we have wild/wooly golden doodle) There is a beach with a large Buddha statue along the way. On the ride back from Stanley we like to go over the dam.

Enjoy your trip.

5. #5 Jan 28, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
    I am not from northern Japan so I am not 100% sure about this but it may be quite cold there (cities you are visiting except for Tokyo) in late Feb. I used to work as a tour guide from Tokyo and took some tourists(Japanese) to the northern area but there weren't so many tours to the north in Feb due to the weather. Stay warm!! Seafood is divine around there.

6. thank you everyone!

I'm going to have to look up a lot of those suggestions! they sound so foreign to me. hahahaha.

and yes I think in the northern part of Japan, it's going to be realllyyy cold! Being in California, I hope I'll be able to handle it.

I'm just having a real hard time looking up that thing about buying an apple tree. I would like to get that as a gift for someone, but just wondering how much it would be.

I will keep you guys all updated and post picture of the beautiful snowy scenery when I get back. =)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice