Japan Goyard

Kitsune711

Apr 18, 2017
Hello everyone! I will be in Japan for nearly a month and I have been interested in getting myself a Goyard Artois or a PM St. Louis. Question is, do I splurge and get the St. Louis or just enjoy the Artois? Oh and I didn’t even think of colors. I think I’d get green? I didn’t even think to ask, is it difficult to get any of these styles and should I prepare to come home bagless? I wouldn’t be too upset if I didn’t get one but it’s be cool as a souvenir.

Should I have the concierge book me an appointment while I’m in Japan? My Japanese isn’t very strong, enough that I could have a minor conversation but nothing spectacular.

Also too, as a long time lurker, has the quality of the bags gotten better? I saw a lot of people had glue/cracking issues as well as “weak” canvas material issues.

Thank you!

I can't speak to Japan specifically, but I purchased both the Artois MM and St. Louis PM last fall. I have not had any issues despite a lot of use. I slightly prefer the Artois due to the zipper top and slimmer profile, so I voted for Artois PM. When I made my purchase there was a much broader selection of St. Louis colors and the Artois MM was only available in black.

Look forward to hearing more about your experience and what you get!

Where in Japan are you going? St. Louis is easier to find than Artois but colors are hit or miss. Last I went they had the all black and orange in stock in St. Louis but no Artois PM available.

Reactions: Kitsune711
Where in Japan are you going? St. Louis is easier to find than Artois but colors are hit or miss. Last I went they had the all black and orange in stock in St. Louis but no Artois PM available.
Im going to Kyoto, Osaka and Tokyo.
Ughhh, those are the colors I’m not a fan off I want the burgundy or the green the most.

I bought my first Goyard last November in Japan, at the Goyard Isetan Tokyo store. You don’t need to make an appointment - I had contacted the Takashiymaya Goyard Tokyo store in advance, and they got back to me saying you could just come in. I visited the Isetan store twice, and bought the bag I wanted on the second visit. Don’t worry about your English - particularly in department stores the staff have a high level of English (this is really common in Japan). They had an impressive level of stock, and given you’re going to a few cities, you’ll likely be able to find the bag you’re after. And in terms of tax refund, as Goyard stores are in department stores, your purchase will include tax, but then you go to the department stores tax counter to get your refund. It is really easy. I wish you a wonderful trip!

Reactions: c18027
From my experience last month in Takashimaya Osaka, they had very limited stocks [st louis PM only in blue and orange, artois only in white, etc.], and you don't have to make appointment.
When I went there on my first visit, the SA wasn't really good in english and the stocks weren't good.
Howerver, I met a wonderful SA on my second visit next day. She offered me mini anjou which just came that morning.
So I think if you have spare time, you can check the stores once in a while just in case they have new shipment coming.

Reactions: c18027
Does anyone know if the mini anjou is readily available in tokyo?
You should definitely check all stores if you can! I went to the Shinjuku location first and they didn’t have any stock but when I went to the Nihonbashi location a couple of days later I got lucky because they had just received one the night before :’)

My wife and I will be heading to Japan in August and I have only heard good things about the experiences people have had at stores. Can anyone else chime in on their experiences at any store in Japan (Kyoto/Osaka etc.)?

Didn’t ask for any exclusives but found the Goyard in Nihonbashi to have a decent amount of stock compared to the one in Shinjuku. Was mostly looking at St. Louis and Artois. The Shinjuku had zero stock of either but the Nihonbashi had a few colors of the St. Louis and I think the navy in Artois. Went at the end of May.

Reactions: katg519