Jane Birkin's Birkin Could be YOURS

papertiger

MOD
Authenticator
O.G.
May 23, 2009
Jane Birkin's Black Togo Birkin 35 rg is up for auction at the Stella X Smart Works charity auction at Christies

You have 24 days left to bag an icon :biggrin:

Also available is Barbra Taylor Bradford's vintage 1992 Tri-colour Box Kelly, lovely example from the era.

Screenshot 2020-08-21 at 14.59.53.png

Jane Birkin's Black Togo Birkin 35 rg is up for auction at the Stella X Smart Works charity auction at Christies

You have 24 days left to bag an icon :biggrin:

Also available is Barbra Taylor Bradford's vintage 1992 Tri-colour Box Kelly, lovely example from the era.

View attachment 4824585
I wonder how many Birkins Jane Birkin has received throughout the years? Can she just call Hermès or walk in to any Hermès and ask for whatever Birkin bag she wants? For some silly reason I'm really curious about this :biggrin: Maybe it's the fantasy of being able to that myself. I can dream :P

I wonder how many Birkins Jane Birkin has received throughout the years? Can she just call Hermès or walk in to any Hermès and ask for whatever Birkin bag she wants? For some silly reason I'm really curious about this :biggrin: Maybe it's the fantasy of being able to that myself. I can dream :P

I think it's just like a bag for life deal. One gets so battered and used and then she's ready for a new one. I think they are always black and 35, not sure if they always have the same colour hw though. This is obviously from this year.

Black Birkins are decidedly not my thing, but this is pretty cool. The only 'issue' is that this bag seems pretty new -- instead of the battered old bag with stickers that I have seen Jane Birkin carry in photos. Still, it's for charity, so pretty cool.

I know what you mean, she hadn't had the opportunity to use this one very much this year. She may have thought most people like more pristine examples too.

Somebody thought so, now, up to £12K

Reactions: tlamdang08
I read that she’s stopped using them as aged 70 she found them too heavy - which is why (and please correct me if I’m wrong )- she moved from her original 40cm to wearing 35’s.
personally I would love to have been able to buy one of her used Birkins they looked so cool. I suspect in this case this must be one that she was given ( she must get a certain quota every couple of years for use of her name) by Hermès at the point she decided the bags were now too heavy and not for her.
I also read she had asked Hermès not to call the exotic B’s ‘Birkins’ because as an animal lover she didn’t agree with using a skin that wasn’t a byproduct

Reactions: tlamdang08
Didn’t she stop carrying them to make a point about Hermes using exotics? Have I dreamt this?

In any event, someone was asking the other day which size Birkin she carried, so I guess now we know. Although I kind of cannot picture her in rose gold...

I'm sure Christies put the papers of provenance along with the bag.

JB hasn't bought her own B for many years. Makes no difference to the provenance whether the bag was used extensively by her for years or 5 mins. Owning Birkin's Birkin still has to be one of the most covetable possessions on the planet in terms of investment and status op.

Didn’t she stop carrying them to make a point about Hermes using exotics? Have I dreamt this?

In any event, someone was asking the other day which size Birkin she carried, so I guess now we know. Although I kind of cannot picture her in rose gold...
I was the one asking the size.
I believe the 1st and early ones were 40’s then she moved to 35’s as she got older.
whether she used this or not I still wish I could buy this because it was donated by her and also because It’s donating the money to a fantastic charity so it’s really a win-win.
rose gold isn’t my hardware of choice either but for Janes Birkin id make an exception:smile::smile:

The bid at the moment (as I'm writing) is £20K - but with 8-ish days to go.

I'm glad someone is taking this piece seriously. It's a good piece of pop and fashion history.

I'm hoping a museum buys it, that way many people will get to see it and read about its history with it in front of them. Either that, or Hermes buys it back for their pop-up exhibitions.