Jamie Lynn Spears' daughter Maddie in critical condition

I feel for the poor child and hope she recovers but how foolish are her parents to allow an 8 year old on such a dangerous vehicle and then to take her, a child, hunting? I seriously don't get understand some parents, but maybe this is a Louisiana thing/pastime?

If you live in the country like Kentucky, Tennessee, Louisiana, Alabama, etc. it is normal to see. I'm from Kentucky and normally saw that growing up. I personally never participated in it but was in the same grade with quite a few kids that participated in ATV/motorbike competitions at ages as young as 5/as well as just riding them for fun because they had big backyards or farms. Also knew quite a few kids who started hunting/participated in hunting competitions at pretty early ages as well. I mean my parents never thought it was safe to do because a kid could easily get hurt but all parents aren't the same.

Last edited:
If you live in the country like Kentucky, Tennessee, Louisiana, Alabama, etc. it is normal to see. I'm from Kentucky and normally saw that growing up. I personally never participated in it but was in the same grade with quite a few kids that participated in ATV/motorbike competitions at ages as young as 5/as well as just riding them for fun because they had big backyards or farms. Also knew quite a few kids who started hunting/participated in hunting competitions at pretty early ages as well. I mean my parents never thought it was safe to do because a kid could easily get hurt but all parents aren't the same.

I grew up in rural West Virginia... and yes, it's very common to see.

I hope she makes a full recovery.

I am from NYC and would not get on one of those if my life depended on it But I immediately didn't think it was a big deal for her to be riding an ATV or hunting. I just assumed that was the way of life where she lives.

Reactions: lulilu
I don't think the ATVs are the problem. I think the problem lies with people who go too fast or take too sharp a turn.

My cousin's father in law has a cattle farm and he wanted to take my aunt and me on an ATV tour of the property. My aunt went with my cousin and I went with his father in law. He went extra slowly because his grandson (P) wanted to come with us.

I was holding into to P with one arm and the ATV with the other.

At some point we met up with my cousin. P wanted to ride with his dad.

The ATV I was on could go a bit faster now that P was with his dad and I could hold on with both hands but it was still at a safe speed and no sharp turns.

I'm so sad for this poor little girl. Hope she makes a full recovery. Being unconscious under water for several minutes sounds like it was pretty bad.

I realize that different states have different recreational activities they do with their children and at different ages. I think what makes me question this situation is that the daughter was underwater and unconscious for several minutes before being pulled out. Was anyone around her when she had the accident? Maybe people were with her and it took time to find her? The faster someone could get her out of the water and breathing again, the better chance she has to be saved. . I pray she recovers completely.

Regardless of what happened leading up to this tragic event, she is a child and my heart breaks for her and the entire Spears family. I don't have any human babies but I have my fur baby and I would be beyond devastated if anything were to happen to her. Especially if it could have been prevented. Could this have been prevented? Probably but it has already happened. Let's pray and keep this little baby in our hearts [emoji173] she is only 8, she has a lot of life left to live...

Reactions: lanasyogamama
I realize that different states have different recreational activities they do with their children and at different ages. I think what makes me question this situation is that the daughter was underwater and unconscious for several minutes before being pulled out. Was anyone around her when she had the accident? Maybe people were with her and it took time to find her? The faster someone could get her out of the water and breathing again, the better chance she has to be saved. . I pray she recovers completely.

The article indicated she was in a pond so the water was probably too murky to see through clearly and that's why it took time to find her.