J Brand Fabric - Will it shrink in the dryer?

Dec 15, 2012
I recently purchased a pair of J Brand 620 Mid-Rise Super Skinny leggings/jeans and I wonder if the material will shrink in the washer/dryer process?

This is my first pair of J brand jeans so I'm not familiar with how it reacts to daily wear. I tried on two sizes, and the smaller one is a tiny bit tight, whereas one size up is quite loose in comparison. Should I wait for the smaller one to stretch with wear or should I keep the one larger for it to shrink in the wash?

If there's two sizes you're in between, I always go for the bigger size... I don't like the shrinking effect after the dryer. And for this reason, some of my jeans, I only half dry, then hang to dry so that they don't shrink too much.

I would go for the smaller size. I hate when my jeans are too loose, it just ruins my whole outfit. I have not experienced any shrinkage in my jeans. I've always viewed my J Brand jeans as a more "going out" jean, I rarely rare them during the day to class and what not. But they do make butt(err, lack of one) look good!

Just wondering though, but have you ever tried Hudson jeans? I just started wearing them this past year and they are amazing! They make a great skinny mid rise too.

Sorry to hijack this tread but since most of you have j brand jeans could ya'll pop over to authenticate this thread. I have a pair of j brand japanese twill jeans and no one has come to lend a hand. Pretty please! TIA

I have the same jeans and I took the smaller size because the SA assured me they would be perfect, nope. I wear them but not very often and I only wash them when I must. I bought a pair of AG Stilt's that the SA told me would bag and I love them, wear them all the time. The funny thing is the pair I wear all the time are 28's and when I got them home I realized I have a pair of 29's I hardly wear cuz they are tight. I swear the jean companies try to drive us crazy. I have way too many jeans and now I only buy ones that are comfortable in the store. Buy the one's you feel good in.

I have few pairs of J Brand, haven't had any shrinking problem yet. Most of the time i just follow the care instruction that attached on the jeans, and let them either low heat dry and air dry.

I would go for the small one. I found most of the fabric for skinny from J Brand are stretchable. As long as it fits your waist and hip, that should be fine.

Last edited:
I've had no problems with shrinking - and they don't stretch out too much. but if they are loose to begin with - they will never fit 'tight'. depends on how you like to wear your jeans. I find the 620's are so insanely tight though. I can see my sock lines in them.

Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences!

So the smaller size hugs my legs pretty snugly and are tight when I squat and sit down. They are a bit tight across the waist, but that will stretch out hopefully? The larger size is just very loose on the legs and not the look I'm aiming for.

i don't usually tumble dry my jeans...i always think the heat would ruin the elastics in the fabric.
just get the size that flatters you....i am a 26...i can't fit into 25 and 27 is too loose...so it should be easy..no?

i don't usually tumble dry my jeans...i always think the heat would ruin the elastics in the fabric.
just get the size that flatters you....i am a 26...i can't fit into 25 and 27 is too loose...so it should be easy..no?
27 is comfortable, but loose jeans isn't the look I want. 26 is tight across the tummy, which is uncomfortable when I sit and am drinking too much water. :S

27 is comfortable, but loose jeans isn't the look I want. 26 is tight across the tummy, which is uncomfortable when I sit and am drinking too much water. :S
Why don't you try a different style (or brand)? If they are uncomfortably tight in the waistband they are not likely to stretch out enough there to be comfortable. And the larger size sounds too baggy. This may just not be a good fit for you.

And I hate when SAs tell customers to buy the super tight pair of jeans "because they will stretch out so much!" I saw an SA telling a girl to buy a pair of way too tight WHITE jeans--not a good look. Yes, jeans tend to stretch with wear. Does that mean you should buy an impossibly tight pair to begin with? No.
And juneping is correct, you should avoid drying your jeans (and any clothing with spandex in them) because they will lose elasticity and wear out faster.