IVF Embryo Adoption and Donation

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. 40% off dresses, jumpsuits and sandals at Nordstrom. Sale ends Thursday at 9am EST. Click or tap to shop the sale!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. I don't know how I feel or what to do with my remaining embryos. I had my 16 month old son through IVF, and have 10 frozen embryos. I am not jumping to do anything right this second. A post from a local mom group though has me thinking. The day after my son was born my husband was like I can't imagine not ever having this and suggested donating some of our embryos. I just don't think I can, but maybe there is a perspective or insight that I just haven't thought of.

2. I think it is a wonderful thing to do but also confess to feeling the same - I just couldn't do it. We have a nearly 11 month old DD through IVF and still have one embryo (blastocyst) frozen. At this point in time I have no plans to get pregnant again but just can't bear the idea of having the embryo destroyed or donated. It may sound silly to some but 'it' already feels like my child, even though I know realistically that it may never become one either because we choose not to use it or a subsequent IVF cycle doesn't work.

3. Congratulations btw on your son - IVF is tough but so worth it. Are you planning to use any of the frozen embryos in the future?

4. Have you through about donating them to science? It's a big help to science and help find cures for various ailments. Just another way to give back to the science which allows us to have kids when we can't. I also have a child via ivf and donor egg as I was told I could never conceive. Science has given us this wonderful gift. I have thought of donating mine to science but we are still on the fence about a second baby.

5. Donating your eggs/ embryos is the most generous gesture a person can ever take. Of course, you have worries and considerations too. But think about how you can change the lives of those who cannot have children. You give them the gift of life! It's a selfless act. That's incredible. Simply incredible.

In all seriousness, people who undergo IVF to conceive, families who are waiting in queue to buy them have both the financial as well as love resources to give to this unborn child. It's a win-win situation for the child and his/her new family. Why not?

At the end of the day, life is about living and giving.

6. Congrats on your son. When you give your embryos, you're giving joy to a family like yours

7. I don't have any advice. Just writing to say that I don't envy your decision as it will be a tough one to make I'm sure. Good news is you can probably hold off on making it for a bit until you've decided that your family is complete.