I've Finally Found a Easy, Cheap Solution to My Fob Storage Problem!

katev

"The Bag Whisperer!"
O.G.
Dec 18, 2009
I have been buying Coach fobs and charms for years and storing them haphazardly, inside their little cloth drawstring coach bags, in a small dresser drawer that holds scarves and other small items.

As my fob (and scarf!) collections have grown that drawer has turned into a big mess! And every time I want to pick out a fob to wear with a bag, I have to dig out all the little cloth bags, spread them out on the bed, and open them one at a time to find the right fob - and then put them all away again.

It has never been a very efficient system but my recent binges of buying discount fobs at Nordstrom Rack have finally convinced me that I need to find a better fob storage method, but I wanted something simple, easy, and not too expensive - because I've already spent too much money on fobs!

So yesterday I bought the supplies and today I moved my fobs to their new home; I will show you my solution the next message. :smile:

I have seen attractive and innovative methods used by other TPFers in the past to display and store fobs, so when you see my solution you will say "That's it, that's what you came up with?!"

Yes, I bought a box! Not ground-breaking, but it works for me. Yesterday at the Tuesday Morning store they had pretty décor boxes and containers and I selected a nice box with a floral motif for $9. It is a good size but not too big and it has an easy magnetic flap closure.

I put my fobs inside little baggies and moved them into the pretty box, then I made a spot on a closet shelf for the box. I have a lot more room in my scarf drawer now, and it will be much easier to find fobs, and best of all - there is room in the box for more fobs! :yahoo:

Here are some pics and I am thrilled with my low-tech solution!

Attachments

• FobBox004.jpg
    FobBox004.jpg
    242.4 KB · Views: 402
  • FobBox005.jpg
    FobBox005.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 420
  • FobBox009.jpg
    FobBox009.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 436
  • FobBox007.jpg
    FobBox007.jpg
    241 KB · Views: 445
I have seen attractive and innovative methods used by other TPFers in the past to display and store fobs, so when you see my solution you will say "That's it, that's what you came up with?!"

Yes, I bought a box! Not ground-breaking, but it works for me. Yesterday at the Tuesday Morning store they had pretty décor boxes and containers and I selected a nice box with a floral motif for $9. It is a good size but not too big and it has an easy magnetic flap closure.

I put my fobs inside little baggies and moved them into the pretty box, then I made a spot on a closet shelf for the box. I have a lot more room in my scarf drawer now, and it will be much easier to find fobs, and best of all - there is room in the box for more fobs! :yahoo:

Great idea! Sometimes you can get those type of boxes at Tj Maxx or Marshalls.

I'm thinking of stealing your idea but maybe using those photo boxes they sell at Michaels and sorting them by type like all metal, all leather, hardware color, or something along that line.

Thank you for sharing and giving me ideas!

Reactions: katev

I've always loved that sentiment on your new key fobs box! And it's so pretty to boot. Beautiful collection--looks just like treasure!

Cute box! I have some stored like that, and have to dig through to find what I want. Most of mine are hung on a curtain bar so they are easy to see, and many others are in clear divided boxes like the kind used to sort beads. I can look through the lid to see what's inside without opening.

Necessity is the Mother of Invention! Good for you -- I admire your desire for organization!

And what a fine excuse to justify buying even MORE fobs...very clever! :giggle:

Cute box! I have some stored like that, and have to dig through to find what I want. Most of mine are hung on a curtain bar so they are easy to see, and many others are in clear divided boxes like the kind used to sort beads. I can look through the lid to see what's inside without opening.

So where is the curtain bar located?

I do that with my jewelry. You wouldn't believe how much time that saves me. It's probably a sin to put designer jewelry in a 99 cent store plastic hardware case but...meh.

IMG_1494817983.933967.jpg

Wow, that's ummm, a LOT of fobs!! No wonder you needed a solution and yours is clever indeed. Good for you!

Thanks. Yes, it is an awful large number of fobs. I probably should have counted them but I was afraid!

I've always loved that sentiment on your new key fobs box! And it's so pretty to boot. Beautiful collection--looks just like treasure!

Thanks, they had lots of pretty boxes and containers with nice sayings but that one just matched my mood, it has been a beautiful Spring weekend, finally!

Reactions: musiclover

So where is the curtain bar located?

Thanks, sounds interesting, do you slip the fob rings onto the curtain bar?

Great idea! Sometimes you can get those type of boxes at Tj Maxx or Marshalls. I'm thinking of stealing your idea but maybe using those photo boxes they sell at Michaels and sorting them by type like all metal, all leather, hardware color, or something along that line. Thank you for sharing and giving me ideas!

Good idea! I thought about rough sorting them when I was placing them in the box, but they are pretty easy to sift through now that they are all in one place and I can see them!