I've been sold a fake, please help

Jan 20, 2012
Australia
Hello ladies,

Shamefully, I've been duped and sold a fake Stella McCartney sweater. It was not through eBay but the transaction did go through PayPal. I've launched a dispute, to which the seller has responded that they did not mislead me at all. I know it is a fake as it is horrible quality and the label says Made in China when the genuine item would have been made in Italy.

I've escalated it to a claim but this is my first encounter with this sort of thing so I am hoping you can give me some advice! I'm very disappointed in myself for being scammed and would really like to be able to get my money back!

IrisCole

O.G.
Dec 28, 2007
Michigan
www.nikitajade.etsy.com
Hello ladies,

Shamefully, I've been duped and sold a fake Stella McCartney sweater. It was not through eBay but the transaction did go through PayPal. I've launched a dispute, to which the seller has responded that they did not mislead me at all. I know it is a fake as it is horrible quality and the label says Made in China when the genuine item would have been made in Italy.

I've escalated it to a claim but this is my first encounter with this sort of thing so I am hoping you can give me some advice! I'm very disappointed in myself for being scammed and would really like to be able to get my money back!
You should have the item authenticated somewhere (at the very least you could try posting here in the Authentication forum for clothes) to be sure it's actually counterfeit; there are A LOT of designer garments that are now made in Asia, and quality can very quite a bit depending on the season, line, and item.

uadjit

D.Va
Jul 21, 2011
Somewhere that's green
Hello ladies,

I'm pretty sure that some of Stella McCartney's clothes are made in China. The Target ones certainly were and my daughter had some of her children's line clothing that was made in China. I agree that you should have it looked at in the authentication forum and/or the fashion forum on eBay.

Apr 15, 2007
I think it is important OP for you to be as sure as you can be & posting on the forum will
confirm your suspicions one way or another.

It is possible that this particular sweater could have been done in China??

Did it come from Target or from her rtw collection?

Jan 20, 2012
Australia
You should have the item authenticated somewhere (at the very least you could try posting here in the Authentication forum for clothes) to be sure it's actually counterfeit; there are A LOT of designer garments that are now made in Asia, and quality can very quite a bit depending on the season, line, and item.
The particular item should have been made in Italy, the product details are still available on some luxury retail sites and they note the country of manufacture. The seller is also not denying that it is fake and trying to claim that because they sold me the item pictured they are not at fault.
I will seek to have it properly authenticated though, thanks for the advice ladies!

uadjit

D.Va
Jul 21, 2011
Somewhere that's green
The particular item should have been made in Italy, the product details are still available on some luxury retail sites and they note the country of manufacture. The seller is also not denying that it is fake and trying to claim that because they sold me the item pictured they are not at fault.
I will seek to have it properly authenticated though, thanks for the advice ladies!
Your seller is full of BS. If they said the item was "Stella McCartney" brand anywhere then they misrepresented the item and you'll get your money back one way or the other. If you're close to your 45 day deadline for filing a claim I would do so, otherwise I'd wait for an authentication first.

Good luck.

Jan 20, 2012
Australia
Your seller is full of BS. If they said the item was "Stella McCartney" brand anywhere then they misrepresented the item and you'll get your money back one way or the other. If you're close to your 45 day deadline for filing a claim I would do so, otherwise I'd wait for an authentication first.

Good luck.
Thank you!

Jan 20, 2012
Australia
Thank you for your help ladies! Thankfully the PayPal claim has just been resolved without the need for authentication. I think it happened so quickly because I sent a politely threatening email to the seller using the best of my law school language and cc'ing in "my solicitor" (my boyfriend, who happens to be a solicitor...), which seems to have made them change their mind on the refund.
So relieved!

ahhgoo

Shopaholic
O.G.
Oct 30, 2010
Canada
That's good news! Need to keep that in mind re "solicitor" if I stupidly ever got scammed again. Unfortunately had learned an expensive lesson.