It's Official - Paula Abdul will NOT Return to American Idol!

iluvmybags

& My Motos & Shoes!
O.G.
Sep 13, 2006
http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/b13...m_medium=rssfeeds&utm_campaign=rss_topstories

Paula Abdul: "I've Decided Not to Return to Idol"

Today 10:15 PM PDT by Natalie Finn
Paula Abdul's American Idol journey has ended.

Less than a week after E! News confirmed that Kara DioGuardi will be returning to the judges' table, Abdul wrote on Twitter Tuesday that she will not be back for the show's ninth season.

"With sadness in my heart, I've decided not to return to #IDOL. I'll miss nurturing all the new talent, but most of all...being a part of a show that I helped from day1become an international phenomenon," read two tweets posted shortly after 7:30 p.m.

Fox confirmed the news shortly afterward.

"What I want to say most, is how much I appreciate the undying support and enormous love that you have showered upon me," Abdul continued. "It truly has been breathtaking, especially over the past month.

"I do without any doubt have the BEST fans in the entire world and I love you all."

"Paula Abdul has been an important part of the American Idol family over the last eight seasons and we are saddened that she has decided not to return to the show," Fox and producer FremantleMedia North America said in a statement. "While Paula will not be continuing with us, she's a tremendous talent and we wish her the best."

Abdul's rep didn't immediately return a request for comment, but her manager, David Sonenberg, was rather blunt recently when asked about Abdul's prospects in the wake of the $45 million deal inked by Ryan Seacrest and the even more mindboggling sum reportedly being negotiated by Simon Cowell.

Sonenberg told the Los Angeles Times a couple weeks ago that producers hadn't even approached Abdul with a number, a lack of action he called "kind of unconscionable and certainly rude and disrespectful."

Reps for Fremantle, 19 and Fox had remained quiet amid the rumblings that Abdul was getting ready to walk (or being given her walking papers).

An Idol source tells E! News that the invested parties made Abdul what they considered to be a "fair offer," but that she turned them down. And "Kara made her expendable," the source said.

Seacrest twittered his reaction upon hearing the news tonight.

"About to go to sleep when I started seeing my blackberry blow up. I have read what u have read and I am shocked and saddened about paula," he wrote.

"Idol and the cast have grown with each other over the last 8 seasons..I can't imagine the panel without puala. She's a star @ a great friend," he added, followed by, "Spoke to randy..hope to speak with paula privately overnight."

On the set of So You Think You Can Dance, former Idol executive producer Nigel Lythgoe quipped, "I didn't know twitters were official statements, but if they are I'm going to be very careful what I twitter from now on."

But in all seriousness, "Of course I'm sad about it," he told E! News following tonight's taping for part one of SYTYCD's season finale. "I think it's a loss for both of them. It isn't just a question of a loss for Fox. I think Paula was an important part of American Idol.

"I've always said the show is more important than any individual and it's dependent upon the talent that comes on it, the young singing talent. The chemistry of Randy, Paula and Simon is going to be historic. When you talk about television programs, whatever happens now, they will be the three judges that everybody else has got to come up to that standard."

Well, we believe that until they literally remove that fourth chair from the table, anything's possible—especially if the news of Abdul's doneness promotes a strong enough reaction from fans who prefer her compliment-laden brand of criticism.

Because, without Abdul, how are any of the contestants going to know where their magic is?

—Additional reporting by Natalie Abrams and Ken Baker

(Originally published Aug. 4, 2009, at 7:43 p.m. PT)

Last edited:
This bums me out. Paula rarely had any relevant comments or feedback to give the contestants, and half of the time, I couldn't understand a blubbering word she said. However, she was also sweet and kind, and she provided half of the show's entertainment. The show will not be the same without her.

http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/b137768_idols_idols_react_paula_abduls_departure.html?utm_source=eonline&utm_medium=rssfeeds&utm_campaign=rss_topstories

Idol's Idols React to Paula Abdul's Departure
Today 9:13 AM PDT by Breanne L. Heldman

Shock seems to be the word on most peoples' lips as they react to Paula Abdul's announcement that she won't be returning to American Idol for a ninth season.

"I was shocked," Ryan Seacrest said on his radio show this morning. "I'm just bummed because we've worked together for so many years."

Like everyone else, the Idol host wasn't privy to the information until Abdul posted her departure on Twitter. He was eating dinner when word hit the Net.

"I got on the phone to track down whoever I could before I went to sleep and I was told, 'Yeah, it's sad but true. She's leaving,' " he said. "This week, Randy, Simon, Kara and I are in Denver at the end of the week so I'm sure I'll have more to tell you."

And, just in case you are jumping to the same conclusion as many, Seacrest assures fans that, as far as he knows, this is "not a publicity stunt."

He isn't the only Idol star saddened by the loss. Kris Allen, Danny Gokey and others have already shared their grief with the Twitterverse…

"We love you," season-eight winner Allen writes. "Glad I was able to be a part of your last season on the show. You showed us so much love."

"I'm really sad 2 see Paula Abdul not coming back 2 Idol," Gokey says. "She was the judge with the biggest heart! She really will be missed :sad:"

The whole thing has many people feeling :sad:.

"OK, I'm so bummed Paula is not returning to Idol," Candace Cameron Bure wrote last night. "It just won't be the same without her :sad:."

Some stars cannot hide their hope that the fans will rally and change the "Opposites Attract" singer's mind.

"SAVE PAULA! SAVE PAULA! SAVE PAULA!!! Tweet this to all your friends if you want to SAVE PAULA on American Idol," E!'s own Guiliana Rancic writes emphatically. "Maybe Fox will listen!!!"

You never know...

:lol: How shocked can Ryan be? He owns the thing, and the negotiations (and attendant reports, rumors, etc) have been going on for months now.

And has it ever been explained exactly why Kara DioGuardi was chosen as the 4th judge?

I don't mean in terms of her actual qualifications to judge a talent contest, I mean in popular perception, for all I know, her accomplishments may be huge, but she is just not that well-known in the Wal-Mart parking lot - or the suburban cul de sac or the college dorm room, you get the idea...

Aw, she didn't get the money she wanted. Poor thing. I find it.. something.. can't think of the word.. but this woman is so drugged up! Did anybody watch her reality show? Sure she's a sweet genuine person and has been a staple for American Idol, but it's crazy to me how much she is celebrated, but her obvious overuse of medication is ignored.

:lol: How shocked can Ryan be? He owns the thing, and the negotiations (and attendant reports, rumors, etc) have been going on for months now.

Actually, negotiations have been on-going between AI and Ryan and AI & Kara for months now - Simon's locked in until May 2010 and so is Randy. They never approached Paula w/a new offer.

I get that Paula's comments could sometimes be silly and even ridiculous at times, however, the contestants have always said the same thing - that she was always the most nurturing and caring judge. Taking time out to attend rehearsals, presenting all the contestants with gifts at the beginning (and end) of each season. If a contestant failed to give a good performance, she would almost always try to find SOMETHING positive to say. With Paula gone, that "calming influence" is gone and all you have are three judges who can sometimes be cruel and heartless with their comments.

I can't believe the producers of AI are so gung-ho about Kara. The overwhelming popular opinion was that she was useless this past this season and either tried to hard to sound like Simon or was just plain cruel. And from what's been written, Simon's not that big of a fan either.

He's only locked in til the end of next season & he's already made comments that he's tiring of the show and getting bored. I wonder if this will have any impact on his own decision on whether or not to renew next year when his ocntract is up, or maybe this is the beginning of the end for AI

I think they're made a BIG mistake - I have a feeling early ratings will be high out of curiosity as to how the show will be w/o Paula, but that ratings will drop off significantly after the first week or two

HUGE mistake. not only is paula entertaining (especially with simon), but sometimes her comments can be spot-on and surprisingly knowledgable and astute (like when she compared adam's version of "ring of fire" to "kashmir"). i for one will really miss her.

It was on TMZ that they offered her like $2 or $3 Million I forget and she wanted $10???? WOW talk about greed!! She is not worth that much at all. You can call her nurturing etc but if that is what these kids let them bring in Mrs Brady or Alice for only 1/32 of the $$.

I really loathe these celebs that think they are all that. This show is about the kids not these stupid judges or Seacrest. In fact him and his "thisssssssssss" makes me flip the channel.