it's not for everyone

I have to say that I'm pretty relaxed with my bags: I try to avoid putting them down on the floor, but if it can't be avoided, I do ( except for public rest rooms, of course!) I always carry them on my moped!

Not necessarily. I think it's all in one's mind.

true, you need to have a certain attitude along with the money to replace an item like this if the damage is extensive, but if you have the inclination to use a bag in this manner but not the money to replace it, you might adjust your attitude. so money can be a factor.

Not necessarily. I think it's all in one's mind.

Well I just speak from personal experience. The purchases that I make that are within a financial comfort zone for me are easier to be comfortable with and really use. When I've bought something expensive sometimes its a little hard for me to just wear it around. I like to know that I could easily afford to replace something, even if it wouldn't be easy to replace.

I also think - and this is just my opinion - that sometimes people can't enjoy their purchases because they've spent too much money for their situation or comfort level - and then it seems, at least to me, that the purse or shoes or whatver ends up wearing the person.

For me, its more a matter of hygeine ...yes the bags are expensive, I mean, really expensive, but once you've spent the money, you might as well relax and USE the bag. The issue of cleanliness however is a whole other thing - you carry the bag with your hands - you pick it up - you touch it, often necessarily by the bottom - you put your hands on your eyes, your face, your food - therefore, I dont want the bag to touch the sidewalk or the floor where, ten steps ago, there were shoes with dog poop on them. Or someones chewed bubble gum.

For me, its more a matter of hygeine ...yes the bags are expensive, I mean, really expensive, but once you've spent the money, you might as well relax and USE the bag. The issue of cleanliness however is a whole other thing - you carry the bag with your hands - you pick it up - you touch it, often necessarily by the bottom - you put your hands on your eyes, your face, your food - therefore, I dont want the bag to touch the sidewalk or the floor where, ten steps ago, there were shoes with dog poop on them. Or someones chewed bubble gum.

oh but that's slippery slope that leads to neurosis. i see ppl put their feet up on train seats. that's so rude, but it won't stop me from sitting on a seat where a shoe that might have once ever walked through dog poop have been. my mom washes every inch of her car and we mock her a bit for it, but she's thinking like this. i don't eat until i've washed my hands, and i never touch my eyes or face unless i've washed my hands.
but i'm not going to worry too much about coming into contact with the outside world. otherwise i'd never be able to ride another elevator without pressing the button with my elbow. i do admit that before i wash my hands in a public restroom, i get a piece of papertowel ahead of time and use that paper towel to open the door when i leave (if it's a handle instead of a push door), so that my newly washed hands don't come in contact with a knob used by people with possibly less hygienic habits, but beyond that, lol, i'm pretty functional.:yes:

oh but that's slippery slope that leads to neurosis. i see ppl put their feet up on train seats. that's so rude, but it won't stop me from sitting on a seat where a shoe that might have once ever walked through dog poop have been. my mom washes every inch of her car and we mock her a bit for it, but she's thinking like this. i don't eat until i've washed my hands, and i never touch my eyes or face unless i've washed my hands.
but i'm not going to worry too much about coming into contact with the outside world. otherwise i'd never be able to ride another elevator without pressing the button with my elbow. i do admit that before i wash my hands in a public restroom, i get a piece of papertowel ahead of time and use that paper towel to open the door when i leave (if it's a handle instead of a push door), so that my newly washed hands don't come in contact with a knob used by people with possibly less hygienic habits, but beyond that, lol, i'm pretty functional.:yes:

Hehehe!! That's exactly what I do!!!

I also think - and this is just my opinion - that sometimes people can't enjoy their purchases because they've spent too much money for their situation or comfort level - and then it seems, at least to me, that the purse or shoes or whatver ends up wearing the person.

But that soon wears off. At the beginning you are so much in awe that you dress up to match your newly acquired bag, but before long you take your bag to the office, carrying your sandwich, umbrella and free metro newspaper. And Hey! it fits a litre of milk and a bottle of olive oil! Good purchase...:P

I once saw a Birkin on the floor of a public restroom at Barnes & Noble and it really made me feel kind of icky.
For me, it's more a question of hygiene than being precious about one's bag, and while I am not neurotic about it, I prefer not to place my bags (any bag no matter how cheap, not just Hermes) on the floor for this reason.
I've also gotten gum stuck on my shoes (Tod's pebbly shoes are the worst) many times and it really grosses me out every time.
I was at Hermes the other day and showed Claude some corner wear on a togo Kelly and he said this is totally normal, just bring it in when I think it's the season that I won't use it as much (this happens to be a year-round Kelly but I will use it less in the winter) and they will totally take care of it. I am not worried about general wear and tear as I know it can always be improved. But I have to say I don't like the floor.

I hate putting my bags on the floor too, but have found myself in situations where there is no alternative. It is hard to relax when you've spent a lot of money and time on a possession, but it all has to be put in perspective so that you can enjoy your possessions and not be enslaved by them.

lh that bolide is gorgeous!!! Great thread...I do feel some just in general take better care of their bags, and others are more comforatble using them as they would...I try to be good lol!! But I do believe in using them...and I love how the bags look loved after being used and enjoyed!

I always love seeing CBK, thank you for the picture. It reminds me also of my favorite photo of Kate Moss. I love that her bag is just sitting there on the sidewalk. You can tell she uses it too because the corners show some wear. I use to be really paranoid about my Kelly when I first got it. It was the most money I had ever spent on a handbag. I would never put it on the floor, always in the chair next to me. I would put it in it's sleeper to place it under the seat on the plane. The first time I noticed slight wear on the corners I panicked. Then my SA told me to wear it, love it and not worry about it. Now, I just carry it and enjoy it. No special bag on the plane, no special seat in the restaurant. I don't put it down in dirt, water or the restroom but it has been on the floor of a restaurant, in the plastic bin at the airport, on the hook under the mirror at the hair salon, on the bleachers at a little league ball game, in the shopping cart at the grocery store. It is starting to show some wear and I love it. It can always go to the spa.

attachment.php
Ladies, your comments and these pics remind me of the story of how the Birkin came to be in the first place! I imagine this sort of treatment is what he had in mind. I am trying to work up to that attitude, but I am also ridiculously careful with my brand new bags--those first scratches on my Barenia Picotin:wtf:--after awhile I ease up. After reading the comments and looking at the pics, I think maybe I'll relax with my bags a little sooner. Thanks HiHeels!! Love your threads!!!:yes: