It's Finally Here! My Rive Gauche

lionlaw

Jul 13, 2007
It took forever to travel from Ca, but my rive gauche finally arrived today. The texture is soft to the touch which surprised me. The look is more glittery inside my house (but I have low lighting). I don't think I have seen a texture like this before in a bag. It definitely doesn't look like roofing material to me. Not sure how I would describe it.

rive002.jpg

rive008.jpg

Now outside it looks totally different, more subdued texture:

rive016.jpg

rive014.jpg

So what do we think?

Last edited:
My apologies for the roofing material comparison! Part of it would be whether you like the way the bag feels. I didn't like the rough texture. It's not so much a metallic bag in person. The way it compares to the gold, bronze and anthracite volcano finishes is that those are metallic and this one is patent. This finish was made to have the "volcano" look but a black patent version. There's a distinct difference between the black patent volcano finish and the others in the texture. In the black patent version, the coating is a lot thicker than on the metallics.

Thanks everyone!

The leather is not metallic. The shimmer/glitter in low lighting is from the glossy patent bits. Outside or in stronger lighting though, it just looks textured.

The bag itself is soft. Should it be hard? I don't know if this has been passed around a lot (although it was sold new and looks new) but the texture is not hard at all. It is a soft crinkled patent type feel, but a little bumpy. I dig it.

I got it for 800 total so it was a steal compared to the retail price.

Omg I love your bag! Congratulations on this beauty! Now I want one :drool:

There's one on mytheresa and bluefly, but has anyone seen this bag on sale at Saks or Off Fifth? Lionlaw, where did you get yours for such a great price?! Again, I am so jealous!

Omg I love your bag! Congratulations on this beauty! Now I want one :drool:

There's one on mytheresa and bluefly, but has anyone seen this bag on sale at Saks or Off Fifth? Lionlaw, where did you get yours for such a great price?! Again, I am so jealous!

thanks! I got it from Saks. I haven't seen it at any Saks off fifths around here.

I saw two of the same black volcano RG at Off Fifth Great Mall Milpitas, CA last weekend, but the price is still steep at $1499. Even with the extra 30% off it is still over 1K.

My apologies for the roofing material comparison! Part of it would be whether you like the way the bag feels. I didn't like the rough texture. It's not so much a metallic bag in person. The way it compares to the gold, bronze and anthracite volcano finishes is that those are metallic and this one is patent. This finish was made to have the "volcano" look but a black patent version. There's a distinct difference between the black patent volcano finish and the others in the texture. In the black patent version, the coating is a lot thicker than on the metallics.

No worries;) The finish is actually soft to the touch on my bag- just bumpy.

Where does the Volcano name come from? There is nothing on the tags calling it volcano (they say Agneau Fleur Corrigee Laminee) and it doesn't look like the metallic volcano bags I see in the reference library? Does YSL just call anything textured volcano?