It's been a while and no shipment...time to get nervous?

Loquita

May 16, 2008
Hi everyone,

I would truly appreciate your advice regarding the following issue: on March 4 I won a handbag on *bay UK. Prior to bidding on the bag, I contacted the seller and asked if she would be willing to ship to the U.S., and if so, for what price. The seller quickly responded with a reasonable shipping offer and agreed to ship internationally. She was extremely pleasant and answered my questions promptly prior to the sale - and I should add that while she has very few feedbacks, they are all positive.

Once the auction ended, I requested an invoice and paid immediately that same day. On the invoice, I included a note asking the seller to please contact me with tracking info. once the handbag shipped. After about 5 days passed with no word, I contacted the seller again and politely requested an update on shipping status and tracking info. Silence. Today I sent another message to the seller letting her know that I am concerned and would like an answer from her ASAP.

I am an experienced *bayer, and this situation seems fishy to me - according to *bay rules, I can open up a case with them once 7 days have passed since payment with no shipment. I have passed that mark, but am not sure if it would be best to open a case just yet (but I will certainly do so if you advise me to do this).

I do appreciate your wisdom on this one - thanks so much! :flowers:

You can open a case after 7 days on an international transaction ?
I would give it 2 weeks then start worrying a bit, i sent a bag over to the states recently and it took 2 weeks for some reason, it seems it got stuck in New York for ages !
I understand you're worried that you haven't heard from the seller, perhaps pull up their contact info and give them a call ?

Hi LO
I agree over seas takes a while and something could be going on with the seller. However if it were me I would file an INR. Worst thing that could happen is the bag shows up and you have to pay again. I think others will say to wait, but with no responses that would bother me.

I wouldn't worry yet. Give it two weeks, because things can get stuck in customs even if there is not a problem.
Also, I did not know that you could track packages internationally through the postal service. I thought that you could not track it once it left the country. ?

Are you sure the package had tracking on it? I would wait longer for international shipping since you never know how long it will take. The seller not answering you is unacceptable though and I understand that's enough to have you worried.

I absolutely think it can take 2 weeks to get a package through customs. I don't think you can even track it except for by the customs number. Unless it was shipped express or something like that. The only thing I would worry about is why the seller won't respond.

Thanks for your responses, everyone!

What has me worried is the whole lack of communication above all - I have purchased items from the UK *bayers before (and always have had a wonderful experience by the way) and I know that tracking goes in fits and starts.

That said, I have always received a tracking number for larger-ticket items from the UK, and been advised as to when they were shipped.

As others have said, I would wait for two weeks. I've purchased items from UK before and shipping time were 1 to 4(!) weeks. If the shipping fee was reasonable, the seller might have shipped by the regular first class with no tracking. And that could be a reason for not replying to you. Also since the seller is relatively new to ebay, she might not have realized that shipping with tracking is MUST on any eBay transaction in order to get seller's protection.

As others have said, I would wait for two weeks. I've purchased items from UK before and shipping time were 1 to 4(!) weeks. If the shipping fee was reasonable, the seller might have shipped by the regular first class with no tracking. And that could be a reason for not replying to you. Also since the seller is relatively new to ebay, she might not have realized that shipping with tracking is MUST on any eBay transaction in order to get seller's protection.

I agree, but all this should be communicated to the byer (ie. LO). If it isn't she is just asking for an INR.

agree that you should wait a little longer as it is an international transaction.

however, do not like that you "seller" has not answered or provided any

shipping info.. that would be of concern to me.. why not e-mail her again

and ask...

I wouldn't worry yet. Give it two weeks, because things can get stuck in customs even if there is not a problem.
Also, I did not know that you could track packages internationally through the postal service. I thought that you could not track it once it left the country. ?
I would hope that she sent it via international signed for or Airsure, both of which can be tracked on the receiving countries postal site, although international signed for says you can only track till it leaves the UK.

As others have said, I would wait a little bit longer as well. Also, if she's new to eBay, she may not check her messages often if she doesn't currently have anything else for sale.

As others have said, I would wait a little bit longer as well. Also, if she's new to eBay, she may not check her messages often if she doesn't currently have anything else for sale.
I would be a little concerned w/ the lack of response, not so much that the item hasn't arrived. It's very simple even mark an item as shipped in ebay/paypal so it'll update your buyer. I had a seller once who waited until I contacted her to mail the item, and then sent it parcel post. I don't know if it's a specific setting I have chosen, but all my ebay messages also show up in my email so I *know* when I get a message.

Thanks for your responses, everyone! :heart:

I have good news to report - the seller finally responded to me today, and let me know that she shipped the item out last Monday. She explained that she has been abroad lately, and that once she returned she would contact me with tracking/shipping info.

It seems clear that she is very new to *bay, so I am hoping against hope that she shipped the handbag (which cost around $500 total) with insurance. :sweatdrop:

I will keep you all posted - and again, thanks for your wisdom!

Thanks for your responses, everyone! :heart:

I have good news to report - the seller finally responded to me today, and let me know that she shipped the item out last Monday. She explained that she has been abroad lately, and that once she returned she would contact me with tracking/shipping info.

It seems clear that she is very new to *bay, so I am hoping against hope that she shipped the handbag (which cost around $500 total) with insurance. :sweatdrop:

I will keep you all posted - and again, thanks for your wisdom!

That is great news LO. Glad the seller finally turned up.