It's a question of hardware . . .

Jul 11, 2008
Since I've recently fallen in love with argile - I've noticed that the hardware, particularly with grizzly gillie combination is referred to as champagne gold. Is this permabrass but by another name or is it a new, paler shade to complement the neutrals? Is there anyone one fortunate enough to own both for a comparison shot? And to complete this compound question, is the gold for scarf rings permabrass?

My SM told me that champagne gold is in effect permabrass. It is a cheaper option for H as opposed to gold HW, hence why they are starting to use it more. I wanted a Constance in Argile but it only came in champagne gold & I'm not keen. I hope this helps and I'm sorry I can't help with comparison photos.

Hi! Yes, this champagne gold is permabrass though they don't seem to like calling it that!:smile: I still prefer the warmer original gold hardware though. I will post comparison shots if I can find my camera. The tones are quite different from one another, but my SA insists the "champagne gold" looks more like real gold jewelry. For me, it is taking me some time to adjust to this new gold... what can I say... maybe I just like it "brassy"...Ha!:P

is the gold for scarf rings permabrass?
I think it depends on the ring tbh. Mine vary in colour and I would say that some are gold plated and some must be permabrass. I can check properly tomorrow if you want as I should imagine that the gold plated ones must have that undecipherable stamp on them that you can only see with 20:20 vision and a magnifying glass! I can try for a comparison shot too, but I am photographically challenged.

My SM told me that champagne gold is in effect permabrass. It is a cheaper option for H as opposed to gold HW, hence why they are starting to use it more. I wanted a Constance in Argile but it only came in champagne gold & I'm not keen. I hope this helps and I'm sorry I can't help with comparison photos.

Thank you Ms Birkin I did wonder! Sorry that you combination has not been offered, and hope that you might be permitted to SO it - as argile is such a lovely shade and a in Constance would be a classic combination. Good luck!

Hi! Yes, this champagne gold is permabrass though they don't seem to like calling it that!:smile: I still prefer the warmer original gold hardware though. I will post comparison shots if I can find my camera. The tones are quite different from one another, but my SA insists the "champagne gold" looks more like real gold jewelry. For me, it is taking me some time to adjust to this new gold... what can I say... maybe I just like it "brassy"...Ha!:P

This made me smile too! The power of spin where base metal is re-branded as gold! However, as a die hard palladium hardware fan, this might be a stepping stone for a warm-hued bag where I can't quite see myself leaping straight to gold.

I think it depends on the ring tbh. Mine vary in colour and I would say that some are gold plated and some must be permabrass. I can check properly tomorrow if you want as I should imagine that the gold plated ones must have that undecipherable stamp on them that you can only see with 20:20 vision and a magnifying glass! I can try for a comparison shot too, but I am photographically challenged.

Thanks so much cvw1004 I would really appreciate it if you could.:flowers:

View attachment 2076107

View attachment 2076108

I don't know if this will help but here is my Argile Birkin with gold hardware and the Egee clutch with Permabrass.

Great comparison shots periogirl - thank you for posting these. I can only surmise that if a large quantity of hardware is present, they plump for the paler perma - I mean champagne gold. I have to say the effect is very pleasing.

Btw congratulations on your two beautiful purchases. (The sight of these have only increased my new found obsession!)

Great comparison shots periogirl - thank you for posting these. I can only surmise that if a large quantity of hardware is present, they plump for the paler perma - I mean champagne gold. I have to say the effect is very pleasing.

Btw congratulations on your two beautiful purchases. (The sight of these have only increased my new found obsession!)

Happy to help out, thanks I am very blessed to be offered these 2 items. Argile is a colour I really like, can you tell? :biggrin:
Best of luck with your Constance, it's going to be a stunner!

Happy to help out, thanks I am very blessed to be offered these 2 items. Argile is a colour I really like, can you tell? :biggrin:
Best of luck with your Constance, it's going to be a stunner!

Yes I can tell, and I agree it is lovely.

I had looked at Gris t, and parchemin and had second thoughts about the colours of the resin, but this paler colour on the argile resolves this for me.

Out of interest, does the champagne heat stamp differ from the gold?

Btw it's Ms Birkin who was hoping for a gold clasp for her constance, but I agree I think the combination would look lovely either way.

Yes I can tell, and I agree it is lovely.

I had looked at Gris t, and parchemin and had second thoughts about the colours of the resin, but this paler colour on the argile resolves this for me.

Out of interest, does the champagne heat stamp differ from the gold?

Btw it's Ms Birkin who was hoping for a gold clasp for her constance, but I agree I think the combination would look lovely either way.

I suppose the stamp would differ, have to go and check. Sorry to confuse you with Ms Birkin.

here's my comparison of PHW (L), Permabrass HW (middle) and GHW (R)
not the best pic but i hope it helps!
i do love permabrass as it seems easier to mix metals
6B0939EC-99AA-4093-B71E-4972E573602D-10230-000007B95759D984_zpsa2e2474c.jpg

Scarf ring pics: The wooden one with the sun is the gold plated one - last pic shows the square thingy. This is also the oldest one, of course I have always assumed it is the sun, but if it is a star it could be from 1999 - Year of the Stars & Mythology? All the others are definately post 2005. Personally I prefer the Permabrass as it is less yellow and I like whiter metals. HTH

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 683
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 667
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 675
  • Stamp.jpg
    Stamp.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 680
here's my comparison of PHW (L), Permabrass HW (middle) and GHW (R)
not the best pic but i hope it helps!
i do love permabrass as it seems easier to mix metals
6B0939EC-99AA-4093-B71E-4972E573602D-10230-000007B95759D984_zpsa2e2474c.jpg

Thanks so much for posting your comparison shot - lovely medor, is that argile too? It's clearer now why H chose the cooler gold to accompany argile. It was interesting seeing it sitting what I guess to be parchemin with gold - the leather appears more yellow than I'd imagined so richer gold is a logical hardware choice. (The croc CDC is pretty appealing too!)

Scarf ring pics: The wooden one with the sun is the gold plated one - last pic shows the square thingy. This is also the oldest one, of course I have always assumed it is the sun, but if it is a star it could be from 1999 - Year of the Stars & Mythology? All the others are definately post 2005. Personally I prefer the Permabrass as it is less yellow and I like whiter metals. HTH

Thank you cvw1004 for your scarf ring shots. It's funny but we are sisters on the first four (excluding the wooden one) only in phw. The side-by-side shot really does show with real clarity the intensity of the yellow. So although it might be considered a less prestigious material, I can really see that aesthetically the 'champagne' makes sense.