Item pick up? Will i lose seller protection?

Twilight78

O.G.
Feb 3, 2008
I'm sorry if this was covered elsewhere but I'm in the middle of this transaction and I need help right away. I just sold a pair of booths on Ebay, the buyer has 210 positive feedbacks and there was constant activity up to yesterday on their account. The transaction was smooth, reasonable best offer, they payed right away. Problem is, the buyer is now telling me she's coming to NY tomorrow (from Florida) and would like to come and pick up the booths at my place. I'm not inclined to say yes because I usually need proof of delivery to get the money released into my account, but i'm also wondering, will I lose seller protection if I can't prove delivery? She's asking me to do this through the Ebay message system, so there is a record, but I'm not sure it's enough. Thank you so much in advance!

If she want to pick it up in person, ask her to pay you cash. If she doesn't want to pay you cash, don't do it because you won't be cover by paypal if some thing happens.

If she want to pick it up in person, ask her to pay you cash. If she doesn't want to pay you cash, don't do it because you won't be cover by paypal if some thing happens.

Thanks for your answer, I'd rather not meet a stranger in person, had it been a less expensive item I would have just left it with the doorman. I'd also be afraid of counterfit money.
She's saying I could also send it to her nyc address, I told her if she added her nyc address to her paypal account I'd be happy to send it there, does anybody know if she can do that after the payment is completed?

Mmmmm, I'm not sure if we crossed messaged, if she doesn't speak English well or if I didn't explain myself correctly, but she just sent me an email (outside Ebay message system), with her New York address in it. I sent her another message asking her to add that address to her Paypal account. Oh boy, I hope this is not the beginning of a headache.

I'm sorry if this was covered elsewhere but I'm in the middle of this transaction and I need help right away. I just sold a pair of booths on Ebay, the buyer has 210 positive feedbacks and there was constant activity up to yesterday on their account. The transaction was smooth, reasonable best offer, they payed right away. Problem is, the buyer is now telling me she's coming to NY tomorrow (from Florida) and would like to come and pick up the booths at my place. I'm not inclined to say yes because I usually need proof of delivery to get the money released into my account, but i'm also wondering, will I lose seller protection if I can't prove delivery? She's asking me to do this through the Ebay message system, so there is a record, but I'm not sure it's enough. Thank you so much in advance!
What is a pair of booths???????:nuts:

What is a pair of booths???????:nuts:

Boots! Lol, I'm an idiot! Anyway, I managed to chat with a prestigious Ebay customer service representative who told me that if I make the buyer sign the paypal invoice when he picks up the boots, I'm going to be covered. I printed out our chat, just in case. Let's see how it goes.

Last edited:
I must have missed it earlier, but you say he? Meet them at a restaurant or otjer public plcae. I would strongly avoid meeting at your home. If the account was hijacked you might not be meeting the person with 210 positive feedback.

Get cash, have them sign and don't go strait home. Maybe bring a firend. Go shopping or maybe to your local police office just to say hi. Sorry, I trust most people but something sounds strange. Check the address out in NY. See if they will give you a local contact number and check that out as well.

You can also fall back on the terms you listed with and offer to cancel if that is not acceptable. Go with your 'gut' feeling.

If your buyer has already paid and paypal is telling you that they can sign the

invoice as merchandise being received, perhaps ask for some id just to make

sure and maybe meet in a public place with a friend it could be okay.

If you are apprehensive in anyway, just let this person know that you will

ship it rather than have them pick it up.

I myself picked items up several times... Paying through paypal. People who did not want to do it seemed suspicious to me always (why make a person pay for delivery when they can pick up?). It should be no problem, do not upset your buyer!
Once the seller delivered her shoes to me herself, driving past, and left the shoes in my absense (of course no proof of delivery) I left her positive feedback... she had her money paid by me in advance... what is the problem?
If you are not a greedy dealer, who overcharges people for a living, you should not be shy to meet near your home (outside the front door, for example).
Never had problems! No problem with snad, etc.:graucho:

I must have missed it earlier, but you say he? Meet them at a restaurant or otjer public plcae. I would strongly avoid meeting at your home. If the account was hijacked you might not be meeting the person with 210 positive feedback.

Get cash, have them sign and don't go strait home. Maybe bring a firend. Go shopping or maybe to your local police office just to say hi. Sorry, I trust most people but something sounds strange. Check the address out in NY. See if they will give you a local contact number and check that out as well.

You can also fall back on the terms you listed with and offer to cancel if that is not acceptable. Go with your 'gut' feeling.

I didn't realize it was a he at first, he has a very uncommon name, I assumed I was dealing with a woman because it's women boots I was selling. The only reason why I'm not thinking the account was hijacked is that he received positive feedback yesterday. I thought usually hijacked accounts have been inactive for a while. But maybe I'm wrong.

If your buyer has already paid and paypal is telling you that they can sign the

invoice as merchandise being received, perhaps ask for some id just to make

sure and maybe meet in a public place with a friend it could be okay.

If you are apprehensive in anyway, just let this person know that you will

ship it rather than have them pick it up.

Yes, that's what paypal told me, I'm still apprehensive about meeting the buyer in person just because he's a man, so I arranged for him to pick up the boots from the doorman, who's going to make him sign the Paypal invoice for me.

I myself picked items up several times... Paying through paypal. People who did not want to do it seemed suspicious to me always (why make a person pay for delivery when they can pick up?). It should be no problem, do not upset your buyer!
Once the seller delivered her shoes to me herself, driving past, and left the shoes in my absense (of course no proof of delivery) I left her positive feedback... she had her money paid by me in advance... what is the problem?
If you are not a greedy dealer, who overcharges people for a living, you should not be shy to meet near your home (outside the front door, for example).
Never had problems! No problem with snad, etc.:graucho:

Well, I was offering free shipping, so he wasn't going to lose any money.
Anyway, I agreed to local pick up, he hasn't come yet, but I told him that the boots were with the doorman and he could come at his earliest convenience.