Item not received but eBay ruled against me

lila12

O.G.
Sep 9, 2008
I am both a buyer and a seller on eBay. For this question, I am the buyer. I bought a small (~$20 item) from a very large seller with tens of thousands of 100% feedback. The item never arrived, but USPS marked it delivered. I am sure it was delivered somewhere, but not to me!

I contacted the buyer and who advised me to contact the post office - I did and they cannot locate it. I also opened a case and the buyer asked eBay to rule and they ruled against me. eBay told me I up a creek unless I can get documentation from the USPS they lost the package. I paid via credit card, so I stopped payment, but will PayPal just take the money out of items I sell?

Fortunately, it's a small loss, but it really makes me second guess ever buying anything on eBay moving fwd. I have had packages I sent lost as a seller several times, and in each case, I refunded the buyer as I know USPS is not always reliable. I was surprised to learn this isn't standard and was actually scolded by eBay when I mentioned this yesterday. Should I be handling this any differently as either a buyer or seller?

I am both a buyer and a seller on eBay. For this question, I am the buyer. I bought a small (~$20 item) from a very large seller with tens of thousands of 100% feedback. The item never arrived, but USPS marked it delivered. I am sure it was delivered somewhere, but not to me!

I contacted the buyer and who advised me to contact the post office - I did and they cannot locate it. I also opened a case and the buyer asked eBay to rule and they ruled against me. eBay told me I up a creek unless I can get documentation from the USPS they lost the package. I paid via credit card, so I stopped payment, but will PayPal just take the money out of items I sell?

Fortunately, it's a small loss, but it really makes me second guess ever buying anything on eBay moving fwd.
For items <$750, as long as tracking shows delivery, the seller is protected and the buyer will lose a case.

Check with neighbors, other family members and even your own mailman to ask whether he remembers delivering it.

Personally, I wouldn't have done a chargeback dispute on a $20 item. I would have saved that type of dispute for a large loss.
I have had packages I sent lost as a seller several times, and in each case, I refunded the buyer as I know USPS is not always reliable. I was surprised to learn this isn't standard and was actually scolded by eBay when I mentioned this yesterday. Should I be handling this any differently as either a buyer or seller?
If you had tracking that showed delivery, you wouldn't have needed to reimburse the buyer. If there wasn't tracking or if tracking stopped short of delivery, you would have lost a case and would have had to refund the buyers.

Reactions: whateve
I've had to call the USPS when the same thing happened to me. Two items were marked delivered when they were not. We have a lock box at our Townhomes and we get keys for larger items in our box but I had no key that day. They tracked down the mail carrier. Not sure what happened, I never received a call back from the USPS but they were delivered 2 days later.

This happened to me a few months ago. We also have all mailboxes grouped in one location so even though USPS told me they had the GPS coordinates, that could have meant any of 20-120 mailboxes (depending on whether each column of 20 has its own GPS coordinate).

When I tried to follow up with USPS to see where my package really went I got a VERY nasty call from out local PO, essentially accusing me of lying and theft (because since their employee said the package was delivered, it was). They will most definitely not admit misdelivery.