Item not as described, return question

sona

Dec 24, 2008
I was lusting over a sabrina and have been looking for one casually on ebay. The other day I found a black one and I wanted to check out the microsoft cash back thingie. So I hit add to cart and by mistake clicked on Commit to pay!! I did not even know ebay had such a thing!! Anyway It said Congrats you bought this item!! I thought to myself that I wanted one anyway and could not go worng with a black Sabrina so i just paid.

I got the bag in the mail today and it is heavily scratched up. I mean all over the bag there are scratches and its missing one hang tag. GAH!! I mailed the seller and she said if the item is not as described I can return and will be refunded money minus shipping and restocking fee of 15% !! I paid $369 plus $15 in shipping. She will return $313 plus i have to pay for returning the bag to her!!! Is it fair to charge for restocking if the item is significantly not as decribed!!!

IMO, a restocking fee should not apply if an item is significantly not as described (SNAD). If she doesn't agree and the bag is truly SNAD, you can try filing a claim with Paypal.

Thanks northern dancer. I sent her an email to that effect. Requesting that I should not pay restocking fee. I hope she responds favorably.

I wrote to her about the restocking fee and she is very sweet, here is what she wrote back...

I understand you, and please understand me too. Transaction is finished and I paid those 15% to ebay and paypal together. When you return the item, means really no transactions were finished, but fees are paid. Also, if customer doesn't agree with the return policy, he/she has a choice not to buy.

Well, I can refund you for the item cost in full, ONLY, if after I get the bag back in its original condition, and will request from you to cancel the transaction through ebay, and you will agree to that email. That means, if you agree to it, ebay will refund my selling fees for this item.

How do i cancel the transaction through ebay? Is this safe?

Hmmmm, it's a slippery slope. She does mention that it has no tags and that it was a store model and has signs of wear. At this point, the condition is so subjective. What's majorly scratched to you may be moderately scuffed to her. Can you take it to a leather repair place and get them to buff it up for you? It may be worth it if you got this for a good price (I don't know how much these go for). I'm not siding with her at all, but she did disclose that it had faults.

Well the bag is 498 retail. So 369 plus 15 in shipping would be a good price for a bag that is not used for too long and definitely not scratched up. Yeah I understand that its subjective , but if i was selling this bag I would mention that it has discolorations as well. Discolored leather looks like there is white mould on the bag at places. Overall the bag looks really old and I would have priced the bag much lower just for that. Well, the seller has been nice enough to understand and i really appreciate that she will accept a return.

Is the method she mentioned for a return safe. She said she will send me an email through ebay to cancel the sale that way she will be refunded the fees she paid ebay for the sale and not charge me restocking fee. I understand now why she charges a restocking fee for returns.

You will receive an email from ebay to cancel transaction. Because that is what you are doing. You want to return the bag, so you agree and she gets her ebays fees back. No big deal. She's happy and your happy, because you don't have to keep a scratched up bag! If you are going to spend that much on a Sabrina on Ebay just spend a few more bucks and go get yourself a brand new one!

Last edited:
I wrote to her about the restocking fee and she is very sweet, here is what she wrote back...

I understand you, and please understand me too. Transaction is finished and I paid those 15% to ebay and paypal together. When you return the item, means really no transactions were finished, but fees are paid. Also, if customer doesn't agree with the return policy, he/she has a choice not to buy.

Well, I can refund you for the item cost in full, ONLY, if after I get the bag back in its original condition, and will request from you to cancel the transaction through ebay, and you will agree to that email. That means, if you agree to it, ebay will refund my selling fees for this item.

How do i cancel the transaction through ebay? Is this safe?

Yes, this is safe. Once the seller receives the bag in the same condition, she will send a notification to ebay that you have mutually agreed to cancel the transaction. All you have to do when you get your notification from ebay is specify that you agree. This way, she gets her seller fees returned. Nobody gets a strike. This is quite normal when an item is returned. For your protection, when you return the bag, make sure you get tracking and signature confirmation.

Last edited:
Thank you for all the advice. I did return the item and I received an email from the seller to cancel transaction. I agreed. This was couple hours ago. How long will it take to get my refund? There is no record of the cancellation in my pay pal account. Thanks!!

As soon as the seller processes the refund, you should see the money back in your account. If you don't see it by tomorrow, I would send her an email asking her when she intends to process the refund.