itchy scalp and dry breaking hair - HELP!

sgw135

BrightenEveryJourney
Sep 24, 2009
NYC
so this started back in august - i thought maybe i overused my iron or i just needed to change my shampoo/conditioner. well ive cut back on my iron (which is T3 and very good), i changed from john freida to redken all soft and ive cut about 7 inches off my hair.

and my scalp is still itchy and my hair still tangles, knots and breaks every single day.

do you have any products you could recommend?

I was thinking of the DCL dermatologic cosmetic laboratories Strengthening Shampoo and Conditioner.

thanks for the help!!!

e_nmn_m

Jan 4, 2006
Massage 2 tablespoons of olive oil into your scalp and let it sit for 20 minutes. Shampoo as usual.

May 13, 2010
Down in TX
Have you been doing any (or too many) protein treatments? I know when I overload on protein, my fine hair becomes a rat's nest and breaks like crazy.

Jesssh

Jan 20, 2012
Do you drink a lot of water? Drinking more water helped my skin and scalp a lot.

kristin.xo

♥
Nov 8, 2007
Canada
so this started back in august - i thought maybe i overused my iron or i just needed to change my shampoo/conditioner. well ive cut back on my iron (which is T3 and very good), i changed from john freida to redken all soft and ive cut about 7 inches off my hair.

and my scalp is still itchy and my hair still tangles, knots and breaks every single day.

do you have any products you could recommend?

I was thinking of the DCL dermatologic cosmetic laboratories Strengthening Shampoo and Conditioner.

thanks for the help!!!
I feel for you. I've been having this exact problem for nearly a year now! It's horrible. I've tried so many different products and they all fail to help at all.

I've found a routine that's working well for me so far and has cleared it up quite a bit. About 20 minutes before I wash my hair, I massage some jojoba oil into my scalp (I think this is the key!). Then, I shampoo my hair with Alaffia Neem & Shea Scalp Recovery Shampoo and Conditioner. It's really nice and soothing, and can be used daily. It's a pretty small bottle, so I like to alternate with Andalou Naturals Full Volume and Biotin Shampoo. I've also stopped blow drying my hair and just letting it air dry. I plan on trying Dado Sens ExtroDerm Shampoo next, if I can find it anywhere around here. I've had great success with their skincare for my eczema. I really hope you find something that works for you! :smile:

Aug 15, 2012
Vancouver, BC
perfectingmycloset.com
I had eczema on my scalp for many many years and nothing helped but I tried body shop's Ginger shampoo and within days noticed a big difference and my scalp healed too. Still get minor flaking but it's not itchy anymore and my hair is healthy too.

juneping

couch potato-ing
O.G.
Jun 11, 2007
NYC
you can add few drops of argon oil or jojoba oil into your conditioner during your hair wash routine.

Lotus Blossom

Dec 18, 2012
I find taking zinc tablets always helps with skin troubles and Redken Scalf Relief Soothing Balance shampoo helps my delicate scalp.

loves

O.G.
Sep 19, 2008
This winter I got this too! Thought I had lice! Fortunately no. Nizoral shampoo really helped stop the itch but it is drying. So I leave it off the ends of my hair.

As for my dry ends, I just deep condition them. I drop a few drops of bio oil into my conditioner. It feels lighter than olive oil.

twoblue

Mar 4, 2012
I second the Body Shop's Ginger Shampoo. I had a dry scalp and noticed significantly less flaking within a couple uses. I still use it in the winter when my scalp acts up.

hipnycmom

O.G.
Feb 13, 2007
I have eczema and occasionally my scalp will dry out and resist all kinds of treatments. The one I found that works the best is Kerastase's dandruff shampoo. It's pricey but works really well for me. Flakes are gone within 3 uses, and best of all, it doesn't make my scalp feel dry or tight. I also love their hair masks and conditioners but my other 2 favorite products are the 1) Elixir Ultime, which can be applied pre or post-shampoo or during styling to add softness and prevent tangles; and 2) Ciment Thermique - a heat-activated protectant which adds volume to my hair and has really done a lot to prevent/decrease hair loss. I hope this helps!

Kerastase products are available at specific salons, but I don't have any close to me so I buy them from kerastase online.