Italian Made Madison Briefcase - Too awkward to use as a purse?

ladyash

O.G.
Jun 5, 2010
I need opinions from anyone that might own this bag. It's one of the older pebbled Italian bags and is gorgeous but pricey...I'm wondering if anyone has one that could post mod shots or let me know how it would look as an every day purse as opposed to a briefcase?
They have dimensions posted as 14x11x3 and I'm in love with the bag just unsure if it would look strange if I use it as an every day purse. It's too pricey to just take a chance on so can anyone help me out?

^ That's what I was thinking! I wasn't sure if they got the measurements wrong though but I'm going to keep watching it and hope it stays in my price range *fingers crossed*

Where are you getting the dimensions off of? 14 inches sounds really small for a briefcase; my old Coach briefcase was 16 inches. I would double check the size. Also because it's a briefcase it's likely going to be more stiff, so unlike a purse that might have some slouch to it, it's going to show every inch of its size. That said, a brief is great if you need one for work, I used to have a matching wristlet that went inside and that's what I used for going out after work and on weekends. Hope that helps!

Where are you getting the dimensions off of? 14 inches sounds really small for a briefcase; my old Coach briefcase was 16 inches. I would double check the size. Also because it's a briefcase it's likely going to be more stiff, so unlike a purse that might have some slouch to it, it's going to show every inch of its size. That said, a brief is great if you need one for work, I used to have a matching wristlet that went inside and that's what I used for going out after work and on weekends. Hope that helps!

The measurements are what the ebay seller has listed on the auction page...

Darn guess that eliminates that option :sad: They just have it listed as a madison briefcase.

I think it really depends on the style of the bag and the size. The slim satchels are identical to the briefcases in shape but they work as purses because they are smaller. I saw a Madison briefcase listed that looked just like a large version of Gracie and I think that would work as a purse too. The measurements you have are pretty small for a briefcase.

I think it really depends on the style of the bag and the size. The slim satchels are identical to the briefcases in shape but they work as purses because they are smaller. I saw a Madison briefcase listed that looked just like a large version of Gracie and I think that would work as a purse too. The measurements you have are pretty small for a briefcase.

Coach did a few smaller "ladies" briefcases like the Colebrooke Case which was also only 14 inches wide. Here's their catalog photo and description of the Drake Briefbag, style 4420. BTW, 14x10 or 11 is what Coach gives as the measurements for a lot of their larger handbags, like the Kristin Spectator Hobos, and the same size as many of the larger Lesportsac, Kipling and Vera Bradley bags, so as long as those don't feel too big there shouldn't be a problem carrying it. Almost all my everyday bags are in that exact size range, although I may be a bit "fluffier" than many of our posters :graucho:

Attachments

• 4420_Drake Briefbag.jpg
    4420_Drake Briefbag.jpg
    206.2 KB · Views: 319
Last edited:
Reactions: Ava_13579
See, Coach says you can carry it as a handbag!

Oh, definitely! The only thing to remember is that it's on the narrow side so if someone wants to carry a small laptop or tablet or e-reader along with a phone, wallet, keys, cosmetic case and other assorted neccessities, it's not going to have a lot of volume front-to-back to fit a bunch of thicker items. And of course it doesn't have the multiple inside pockets like the newer styles have. But I think it would make a great purse.

Reactions: Ava_13579
Darn guess that eliminates that option :sad: They just have it listed as a madison briefcase.

Coach did a few smaller "ladies" briefcases like the Colebrooke Case which was also only 14 inches wide. Here's their catalog photo and description of the Drake Briefbag, style 4420. BTW, 14x10 or 11 is what Coach gives as the measurements for a lot of their larger handbags, like the Kristin Spectator Hobos, and the same size as many of the larger Lesportsac, Kipling and Vera Bradley bags, so as long as those don't feel too big there shouldn't be a problem carrying it. Almost all my everyday bags are in that exact size range, although I may be a bit "fluffier" than many of our posters :graucho:

Gosh, that is pretty, Hyacinth! I love my Italian bags but most of them are too small to be practical for regular use. I would definitely carry that drake briefbag as a purse!

Oh, definitely! The only thing to remember is that it's on the narrow side so if someone wants to carry a small laptop or tablet or e-reader along with a phone, wallet, keys, cosmetic case and other assorted neccessities, it's not going to have a lot of volume front-to-back to fit a bunch of thicker items. And of course it doesn't have the multiple inside pockets like the newer styles have. But I think it would make a great purse.

Okay I'm convinced that I need the bag in my life! I'm planning on using it as a purse so just the usual phone, wallet, keys etc. I was using my station bag religiously until the strap broke and I had to send it in for repairs :sad: So I am hoping I can win this auction and have a nice new italian made purse to use until my station bag comes back.