It finally happened, my first INR as a selller

In the other thread some people said that the seller might be doing her best, regardless of whether or not the OP thought that was good enough. Now the OP knows that she herself is doing her best as a seller, and she's upset because her buyer doesn't think that's good enough.

I don't think it's out of line to point out that oftentimes expectations for what a buyer's and seller's responsibilities are don't match up, and it's usually best to give someone the benefit of the doubt - as was the case with the seller in the last thread, and as is the case with the OP-as-seller in this thread.

I agree. It is not out of line at all to point out that expectations might not match up. And I am all for giving the benefit of the doubt. And all of this can be done in a helpful manner without jumping down sometimes throat.

And as an aside, I am solidly behind the OP in her first thread for being concerned that she had sent $1700 to a seller and had heard nothing and then false promises about a tracking number. If it was $17 or even $170 that would have been o.k. but not $1700. No matter how much the buyer is protected, it is reasonable to be concerned. But here I am rehashing the old thread which we are all trying (obviously unsuccessfully) not to do.

IMO, these two situations are apples and oranges and I think trying to link them to put the OP in her place is very unfair.

I agree. It is not out of line at all to point out that expectations might not match up. And I am all for giving the benefit of the doubt. And all of this can be done in a helpful manner without jumping down sometimes throat.

And as an aside, I am solidly behind the OP in her first thread for being concerned that she had sent $1700 to a seller and had heard nothing and then false promises about a tracking number. If it was $17 or even $170 that would have been o.k. but not $1700. No matter how much the buyer is protected, it is reasonable to be concerned. But here I am rehashing the old thread which we are all trying (obviously unsuccessfully) not to do.

IMO, these two situations are apples and oranges and I think trying to link them to put the OP in her place is very unfair.

The OP did have reason to be concerned. Her seller did not provide pertinent
information on a very expensive item which she promised to do.

Communication is so often stressed on this forum both for the seller as well
as a buyer. It should be acknowledged that the seller fell short in her
communication. Nothing more nothing less...

IMO, the OP has been unfairly criticized & agree as well that these two situations
are like apples & oranges..

In the other thread some people said that the seller might be doing her best, regardless of whether or not the OP thought that was good enough. Now the OP knows that she herself is doing her best as a seller, and she's upset because her buyer doesn't think that's good enough.
:goodpost:

I did say they were similar, not the same.

I agree $1700 is a bit of money,however the seller was known for poor communication but for a good product. In addition, the buyer was protected. It is fine to be concerned. But, as an experienced EBayer, she knew it would be OK.

This buyer had the same right to be concerned. Any time we send money to a stranger, there is a possibility of a bad experience. In both cases, the buyers were concerned and the sellers provided the items as promised.

So, OK, apples and oranges. Both are fruit but taste and feel differently.

I imagine the OP is relieved that both of her experiences, be it the apple or the orange, turned out fine. Most EBay transactions do. We just tend to hear about the bad ones.

I agree $1700 is a bit of money,however the seller was known for poor communication but for a good product. In addition, the buyer was protected. It is fine to be concerned. But, as an experienced EBayer, she knew it would be OK.

This buyer had the same right to be concerned. Any time we send money to a stranger, there is a possibility of a bad experience. In both cases, the buyers were concerned and the sellers provided the items as promised.

I imagine the OP is relieved that both of her experiences, be it the apple or the orange, turned out fine. Most EBay transactions do. We just tend to hear about the bad ones.

:goodpost:

I don't think it's out of line to point out that oftentimes expectations for what a buyer's and seller's responsibilities are don't match up, and it's usually best to give someone the benefit of the doubt - as was the case with the seller in the last thread, and as is the case with the OP-as-seller in this thread.

Well said.

That is not what "apples and oranges" means but it is a nice way of turning it around. :smile:

I think we are all within a bushel of agreeing on this. And only on the third page.

BeenBurned;26178661 [COLOR="Blue" said:
The buyers who know to choose "other" if they want to discuss something with a seller are those who read tpf, the ebay boards or other blog sites where it's discussed.[/COLOR]

Again, don't blame the buyer for the case being opened. BLAME EBAY!
:true:
I only learned this here. So I could see myself trying to contact a seller about an item that is taking long time to arrive and choosing 'item not received' as the subject of the message without any intention of opening a case against the seller.

Last edited:
This is a resource forum. I am sorry your personal circumstances places you in a position where sarcasm and judgement are the ways in which you handle situations and/or opinions you do not agree with.

BTW, I DO understand why people were jumping on my original post. Just because I don't agree with you, doesn't mean I don't have the intellectual horsepower to understand it.

Good post! Much more rounded and reasonable approach compared to some!

:true:
I only learned this here. So I could see myself trying to contact a seller about an item that is taking long time to arrive and choosing 'item not received' as the subject of the message without any intention of opening a case against the seller.

When I contact a seller whom I have purchased something from after an auction has ended, I go to the auction page and hit "contact seller". It takes me right to message and I don't have to choose a reason why I am contacting them? Is there another way to contact the seller that opens a dispute? I recently opened a dispute but that was a whole different process.....

When I contact a seller whom I have purchased something from after an auction has ended, I go to the auction page and hit "contact seller". It takes me right to message and I don't have to choose a reason why I am contacting them? Is there another way to contact the seller that opens a dispute? I recently opened a dispute but that was a whole different process.....
:thinking: While I've been buying on ebay for about 10 years, I'm still not an expert buyer.

If I choose to 'contact the seller', I am immediately asked to "Select a topic". So if I hit the first topic on the list, which is "I haven't received my item yet", am I opening a dispute/INR? This was my understanding after reading this thread.

Pardon my ignorance. :smile:

:thinking: While I've been buying on ebay for about 10 years, I'm still not an expert buyer.

If I choose to 'contact the seller', I am immediately asked to "Select a topic". So if I hit the first topic on the list, which is "I haven't received my item yet", am I opening a dispute/INR? This was my understanding after reading this thread.

Yes.

Am I missing something here, because I swear when I click on ask seller a question ( before or after an auction has ended) it does not take me to a page where I have to choose " I haven't received my item"? It opens an email to the seller.....
0b4d19b904cfe7d8c4bfdb09bc5776bc_zpsb6cbc1fa.jpg

Am I missing something here, because I swear when I click on ask seller a question ( before or after an auction has ended) it does not take me to a page where I have to choose " I haven't received my item"? It opens an email to the seller.....
0b4d19b904cfe7d8c4bfdb09bc5776bc_zpsb6cbc1fa.jpg
You're seeing something different than I'm seeing;

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-02-09 at 4.26.43 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-02-09 at 4.26.43 PM.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 164