IT bag bubble NYTimes article

This quote is ridiculous:

“Some people still carry the Muse,” she said of another YSL style. “They think the Muse is hot, because they’re kind of behind.” Lauren Goodman, fashion director of Donimo Magazine.

So once a bag isn't in it becomes ugly?? That's so silly.

no reason to be offended here. she never said that it was ugly, she just said that there are people buying it simply because they think its a hot item (aka "it" bag) and that fashion moves so fast that there is no such thing as keeping up; by default you are behind. i think the part the author(s) of this article are not taking into consideration is the people buying these bags because they believe they're classic and beautiful. When you buy a bag for that reason, and not simply because its the "it" bag, you'll never go out of style :tup:

Is This It for the It Bag?

By ERIC WILSON
EVERYONE’S talking about the bubble, and when it will burst.
There is too much inventory. Prices are absurdly high. And analysts are predicting a slowdown in a market that may have already passed its peak of irrational growth, in 2004. Even as prices have increased exponentially over the last three years, with buyers trying to get in on the ground floor of premier properties — the Paddington, the Muse, the Giant City — so, too, have reports of dwindling consumer confidence and a looming credit crisis that could potentially wipe out the value of Uptowns and Downtowns alike.
Some people are concerned that a combination of volatile interest rates and the weakened dollar will ultimately cripple the market.
Status handbags, you see, are a lot like housing. After the rise of the $1,000 purse, fashion’s equivalent of the $1 million studio, there inevitably comes talk of a backlash. Are we now living in a handbag bubble?
“The new condo market today is comparable to the It bag,” said Stephanie Phair, the vice president for merchandising for Portero, an online auction house that specializes in the resale of luxury goods. “Every bag has a name. At least in New York, you see the same thing with all those condo buildings going up with valets, pools, dog parks and fancy names. At some point, people are going to decide that, in fact, what they’d like is to go back to the tried and tested, the classic prewar or the apartment on lower Fifth Avenue.”
“The appeal of the It bag,” Mr. Phair said, “has started to wane.”
Yet this is a moment when every bag seems to have, in addition to a price tag that could be confused with a ZIP code, a name that conjures up images of a wealthy enclave or a cast member of “Gossip Girl.” Heloise, Mathilde and Beata are bags by Chloé; Mariah, Camila and Elsa come from Marc Jacobs; the Uptown, the Downtown and the Muse are designs from Yves Saint Laurent, not buildings by André Balazs.
An entire genre of slouchy handbags, described as “hobos,” may even strike some readers as unintentionally funny, if not slightly offensive, with their earnest descriptions and indiscreet prices — the Dolce & Gabbana Miss Perfect hobo, $795; the Celine Bittersweet hobo, $1,700; the Prada nappa gauffre Antic hobo, $1,750 (a crazy gopher hobo?) — for bags meant to look as if they once belonged to tramps.
“Designers are just testing the laws of economics by pricing handbags higher and higher until people stop buying them,” said Lauren Goodman, the fashion director of Domino magazine. “They are so expensive, and drive you to buy a new one every season, which is kind of a horrifying thought.”
Ms. Goodman is aware of the hot bags of the moment: the Prada leather styles that repeat the ombré patterns of the fall collection; the Marc Jacobs oversize clutch, carried by several editors during the spring collections; the YSL Downtown bag, which is shaped like a Chinese takeout container with a handle. “Some people still carry the Muse,” she said of another YSL style. “They think the Muse is hot, because they’re kind of behind.”
But how does one afford to stay ahead?
At the rate that designers are introducing new styles, that no longer seems possible, which has led to a shift in perceptions about status bags.
“That whole phenomenon has changed,” said Julie Gilhart, the fashion director of Barneys New York. “Our customers seem to be looking for something more interesting. They don’t want to spend money on something everyone else has.”
They don’t want a one-season bag.
At the least, there is anecdotal evidence that the fastest-growing segment of the fashion industry, also considered its most lucrative because of its high profit margins, may not be immune to market exhaustion.
Coach, the leading American handbag company, reported last month that its profit growth may slow this holiday season, setting off jitters among investors who view the brand as the entry-level threshold for luxury goods and an indicator for the broader health of the market. One could not avoid the sense of dread reflected in a Women’s Wear Daily headline this week: “A Chilly Wind Blows: Retailers Are on Edge About Holiday Season.”
Handbag sales in the $7 billion United States market are expected to increase by 15 percent this year, according to the stock research firm Telsey Advisory Group. This is considered a disappointment, because the growth is about half as strong as the category’s 28 percent gain in 2004.
“That $5,000 Marc Jacobs bag is so yesterday’s news,” said Elizabeth Kiester, the chief creative director of LeSportsac, which is developing a line of bags with Stella McCartney that will sell for under $350, beginning in February. “The luxury market is so over the top now that it is demented. I call them limo bags. I don’t have a limo.”
It is probably a stretch to equate the slowing growth of handbag sales to It bag fatigue, but the statistics cited in Dana Thomas’s book, “Deluxe: How Luxury Lost Its Luster,” indicate that the American population is currently over-accessorized. Ms. Thomas cites a survey that showed by 2004, the average American woman was buying more than four handbags a year.
Ms. Phair, of Portero, said there is not a strong resale market for fashion bags of the moment. “It’s not that we wouldn’t touch a Vuitton Murakami, but now it would be purchased by someone with a collector’s perspective, who loves Louis Vuitton and wants to own pieces from every season,” she said.
In some circles, status bags have already become a punch line. A label called Slow and Steady Wins the Race recently produced a series of $100 handbags that recreated the shapes of iconic designs using inexpensive canvas — “a visual hyperbolic expression about contemporary fashion’s attention and obsession with designer handbags,” says its Web site.
The latest versions are hybrids: the Hermesbirkin-Dior (a saddlebag with Birkin-style handles), the Balenciaga-Chanel (where hardware meets quilting) and the Chanel-Asfour-Gucci (a circular quilted bag with a red-and-green stripe).
One is tempted, then, to declare an end to the It bag, but, then again, there were a lot of bags at the spring collections that seem destined for stardom: the Richard Prince bags at Vuitton, the Duffy at Marc Jacobs, the cute wavy-striped bags at Prada. Ken Downing, the fashion director at Neiman Marcus, is amused that there is even a question of a handbag bubble.
“We certainly believe our customer is a fashion enthusiast, and our customers love handbags,” he said.
At Neiman, the average bag sells for about $1,200, but Mr. Downing said there is no price resistance for a pièce de résistance. A special edition of 25 Chanel bags, made in crocodile for the retailer’s 100th anniversary last month, sold out in a snap. The price of each bag was $25,000.

I never really purchase a bag based on it being "in", i only buy a bag if a like it for what it is and because I plan on wearing it for more then just a season so I don't really factor this in when I make a purchase. I found the article interesting because I had not realized how much the market has grown in the last few years, its really amazing!

Nothing will take my pleasure out of buying designer handbags! I never cared and I never will because I enjoy carrying them and for me that is all that matters

Interesting article, although I'm sure there will some unhappy Muse carriers!
I also don't carry bags just because they are in, but then my budget doesn't allow me to anyway. The nearest thing I have to trendy is my Coach purse, which was $68 on clearance at the outlet!

I don't buy "It" bags, but not for any reason other than I don't personally like them or can't afford them. I try to stick to classics, but again, I think it's just a question of taste.

I probably do own a couple of bags that may be considered "trendy" -- my metallic white Botkier Trigger for instance (which was only $500 when I bought it). But you know what, I love that bag and I don't give a sh*t if someone thinks it's out of style.

I'll admit that if you choose to buy a trendy handbag you are taking a risk, but that is why it's important to listen to your own instincts and buy it if YOU like it.

“Some people still carry the Muse,” she said of another YSL style. “They think the Muse is hot, because they’re kind of behind.” Lauren Goodman, fashion director of Donimo Magazine.

I was just coming here to post the same thing:yes:. Just because someone is carrying a bag that is no longer considered an "it bag" doesn't mean they are behind, it could possibly be that they choose not to keep up with trends...

I do think that this article is pointing out an interesting trend--there are several designers introducing price increases to see how much people will pay for their brand. From my understanding, these price increases aren't due to the increased cost/materials for creating a high quality product; they're a way of weeding out other buyers so that only a certain group can purchase their brand and retain what they think is the integrity of the brand (IMHO).

I've carried Coach bags for about 15 years and continue to love them, and I love my LV, too. At heart, though, I'm a bargain hunter and like getting a great bag at a great price; I also love discovering some other designers that are competitively priced like Cole Haan. For me, it's all about the design of the bag, not whose name is on it.

I also feel myself revolting a little bit when it comes to these price increases. I feel that they can be (not in all cases but some) an insult to those who are loyal to their brand. If you don't respect your clientele, they'll find someone else. Maybe not today, but someday.

I can afford to drop a lot more on a bag than I do, but I'd rather put that money in an investment and use the dividends to buy a great designer bag ON SALE!:P

:yes:

Who is this woman? What kind of journalist uses the word 'hot' and talks about people being 'kind of behind'?! :lol:

If you genuinely liked something last year, how could you possibly be over it so quickly? :shrugs:

It's ridiculous! Who wants to look as though they have the attention span of a gnat, or fashion ADD, anyway?

Where does personal style come into play, if it's all just a mad rush to the next thing and the next thing and...? :wacko: Being stylish means being totally in touch with the trends, but not being governed by them and gradually accruing a cherry-picked wardrobe of pieces, which you then mix and match perfectly; not just buying more and more random 'stuff' every season and dumping anything over 6 months old (just to find it, or something strikingly similar, is back 'in' the following season!).

That's not style - that's desperation! :upsidedown:

Not to mention the immense cost to the environment of fast fashion... :s

If the IT bag craze is over, which I think it probably is (and I can't say I'll miss it, personally!), it is at least partly due to insane attitudes like this idiot's.

Even if they can afford it, who on earth, in their right mind, wants to spend $1,000+ on something that will be considered passé in 6 months? :shrugs:

I'm sorry, but even if she was talking sense (which she, clearly, isn't!); I simply can't take a grown woman, who uses the word 'hot' in that context, seriously, anyway! :lol:

no reason to be offended here. she never said that it was ugly, she just said that there are people buying it simply because they think its a hot item (aka "it" bag) and that fashion moves so fast that there is no such thing as keeping up; by default you are behind. i think the part the author(s) of this article are not taking into consideration is the people buying these bags because they believe they're classic and beautiful. When you buy a bag for that reason, and not simply because its the "it" bag, you'll never go out of style :tup:

ITA. If the Muse (or any other bag) fits your personal style then it's automatically a classic, IMO.

I have an oversized choc YSL Muse that I still *love* even though the bag-as-trend item has 'jumped the shark'. It fits my style.

OTOH I look like a total FV w/ an Hermes Kelly, for instance, but my mom can carry it off beautifully. I could do a slouchy used Birkin/HAC but not the Kelly. Again just my opinion that the overall head to toe look and 'vibe'/final effect is what is striking. Not just the bag alone.

I'm kinda glad the the overfocus on one element is waning.