Issues with glazing on wallet coming off?

ncch

O.G.
Feb 18, 2012
Hi everyone,

Im fairly new to the brand and wanted to know everyones experiences with wallets here.

I need a new wallet and always loved the ysl logo so im thinking about buying it.

But i do have a question about the quality of these items.

My friend has the black card case and within 2 months of using it, the corners were peeling and the white from the layer under the black leather was showing. And it was not pretty. My friend is not the type that throws things around so i know it is not because she was not careful with it.

So before i get my wallet, i just want to know is the glazing coming off / leather peeling issues that are common? I would have to think twice if i can expect my new wallet to be peeling within 2 months..

Please let me know your experiences and how your wallets are holding up.

Thanks!20190113_155822.jpg20190113_155800.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

775EBFE4-769B-456C-8C9F-F4BA3B040D4B.jpeg B24E1421-AA8E-4044-9911-5C10FDA92E03.jpeg 148BFEFE-CEB2-4B6A-8A4D-6471CFA3D8EC.jpeg Hi there!
I had my YSL wallet for just over a year. The side glazing didn’t hold up very well. Looking at it afar you couldn’t really tell as the layer underneath was the same colour. But looking closely you could see that the first layer on the glazing was coming off. Personally I don’t think the quality was quite there. There isn’t a YSL shop in my city. I will take it to David Jones where i purchased it from but I highly doubt that they would be able to send it for repair for me. As much as I like the designs of YSL products, based on my experience with this wallet I personally wouldn’t purchase any YSL products anymore. I’ve attached pics. Hope this helps!

Thanks for replying! Really helpful post and appreciate the pictures. Youve been using daily for about a year?

Yours is not as bad as my friends - hers for some reason is peeling to something white underneath. Really strange why the quality is so lacking for ysl. These products are real leather right?

Thanks for replying! Really helpful post and appreciate the pictures. Youve been using daily for about a year?

Yours is not as bad as my friends - hers for some reason is peeling to something white underneath. Really strange why the quality is so lacking for ysl. These products are real leather right?

Hey there,
Yes I used it every day. I’m quite a careful person and generally don’t just throw things around, so I’m quite surprised with the wear/tear myself after a year. I took it into David Jones just then and they said that it’s “normal wear and tear” so they couldn’t do anything for me. I was expecting that anyway as I knew that YSL doesn’t really have a repair programme like LV in New Zealand. Yes the wallet is real leather. While I was at DJ there were other purses made of the same material but larger and therefore for expensive. Imagine if I had spent thousands on a purse only to see the glazing damaged after a year... Even my coach (cheaper) wallet and bag, LV wallet, held up for at least 2 years before showing any signs of wear. My 4 year old LV bags going strong also. I don’t think I want to tempt fate on bigger YSL items.... FYI I purchased the LV wallet first as a “test” also before I bought the bags (Speedy/Neverfull).

Reactions: Samanthalvoe
I have a couple sac de jour wallets and loulou zip that are wearing well.

I think the coated options are more prone to issues given many have similar issues with their WOCs made of those materials.

I also am opposed to those slip card holders after a Chanel one I had years ago fell apart.

I have two Saint Laurent SLGs - one Fragments Zip Pouch in Washed Pink and one Small Monogram Envelope Wallet in Black Mixed Matelasse Leather. For the zip pouch, the glazing at the corners chipped off within months even though I'm quite a careful user. The leather interior also started peeling, I suppose it is due to friction from having coins rub the interior (but what else do we expect from a coin component??).

The monogram wallet has held up well, no glazing issues, no chipping and no dents even though I had accidentally squashed it a few times in my bag. Perhaps the quality is inconsistent?

Is the ysl logo turning into a gold color in the bottom? Why is that happening. Ysl has some issues... now not only is the glazing an issue its the logo too.

View attachment 4305772 View attachment 4305773 View attachment 4305774 Hi there!
I had my YSL wallet for just over a year. The side glazing didn’t hold up very well. Looking at it afar you couldn’t really tell as the layer underneath was the same colour. But looking closely you could see that the first layer on the glazing was coming off. Personally I don’t think the quality was quite there. There isn’t a YSL shop in my city. I will take it to David Jones where i purchased it from but I highly doubt that they would be able to send it for repair for me. As much as I like the designs of YSL products, based on my experience with this wallet I personally wouldn’t purchase any YSL products anymore. I’ve attached pics. Hope this helps!
I just had returned my same wallet in black last 5th July due to corner peeling and faded gold plating. Got it for a little over a year. They took it back and just now they called that its ready for pick up. Suddenly, they said they will charge. They haven't mentioned the cost tho. This wasn't explained to me before returning. :sad: Ugh...

I just had returned my same wallet in black last 5th July due to corner peeling and faded gold plating. Got it for a little over a year. They took it back and just now they called that its ready for pick up. Suddenly, they said they will charge. They haven't mentioned the cost tho. This wasn't explained to me before returning. :sad: Ugh...
Could you please keep us updated on this? :smile: Thanks

Hi guys, just bought the sunset but the piping appears to be lifting, is this normal? Would appreciate any comments, cheers!

View attachment 4939352
I've seen this a lot on several luxury brand bags. It is just the resin lifting slightly off the side of the bag. It won't get worse, especially given the rigid structure of the bag at this point (it won't bend at this edge). Just leave it the way it is.

Reactions: emilytin11
I've seen this a lot on several luxury brand bags. It is just the resin lifting slightly off the side of the bag. It won't get worse, especially given the rigid structure of the bag at this point (it won't bend at this edge). Just leave it the way it is.

thank you that's a relief to hear! although I'm worried through wear and tear it will lift even more and eventually expose the whole edge? Given it's brand new I will go in store and see what they say but I believe this is the last one they have in this colour :sad: