issue with Borough hardware

Jun 9, 2011
Hi there: I posted this in the Borough bag forum, but I'm afraid it'll get lost, and I'd really love some input/feedback on this issue. Thank you so much!

I have a question for borough owners, particularly "first generation" buyers of the medium alpine moss w/silver hardware: How IS the hardware holding up on your bag? Because I've used my borough literally a handful/bunch of times - maybe 10? - and I've been storing it (stuffed) in the dustbag in my closet for the past couple of months. I took her out tonight to check on it/admire it, as it's been awhile. The shape is still beautiful but I'm very dismayed to see LOTS of tiny black flecks on the "Coach" silver zipper pulls, as well as on one of the hooks from the longer black strap. It looks as though the hardware is actually tarnishing. I've tried taking pics, but my camera phone is awful and does not focus well enough to capture details, but trust me, they ARE there. I don't mean to scare people with this post but I do want to know if anyone is experiencing this, too. The bag is still attractive enough for use, and probably wouldn't even be noticeable to a less picky owner, but I'm a bit irritated, given the price of the bag and the fact that I treat my bags like they're children! Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Hi there: I posted this in the Borough bag forum, but I'm afraid it'll get lost, and I'd really love some input/feedback on this issue. Thank you so much!

I have a question for borough owners, particularly "first generation" buyers of the medium alpine moss w/silver hardware: How IS the hardware holding up on your bag? Because I've used my borough literally a handful/bunch of times - maybe 10? - and I've been storing it (stuffed) in the dustbag in my closet for the past couple of months. I took her out tonight to check on it/admire it, as it's been awhile. The shape is still beautiful but I'm very dismayed to see LOTS of tiny black flecks on the "Coach" silver zipper pulls, as well as on one of the hooks from the longer black strap. It looks as though the hardware is actually tarnishing. I've tried taking pics, but my camera phone is awful and does not focus well enough to capture details, but trust me, they ARE there. I don't mean to scare people with this post but I do want to know if anyone is experiencing this, too. The bag is still attractive enough for use, and probably wouldn't even be noticeable to a less picky owner, but I'm a bit irritated, given the price of the bag and the fact that I treat my bags like they're children! Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
I'd take it in, for that kind of money, that's ridiculous!

Thank you all for your responses. I think I will. I'm pretty upset. I buy Coach all the time from my SAs at this particular boutique, and I'm nervous that they'll think I'm being ultra picky, but I know that there's one girl there who will listen on the phone and understand if I bring it in. I'll call right now, actually.

Thanks for understanding!! I'll let you know what happens.

Oh my...I'm sorry to hear that. Definitely take that one in to the store and make them replace it. Given the price and the fact that Coach has not even allowed PCE discounting on these bags yet, I don't think you're being picky at all. I just recently bought 2 Boroughs (both with gold hardware), but I will definitely be watching them now.

Thanks again for your support, folks. I just brought my borough in and they checked it out. They were surprised, actually, saying that they hadn't had an issue like this before. But they're sending it back to JAX with a description of the problem. They were very nice and accomodating, as always...but I noticed on the repair duplicate slip they gave me, it says for the "REASON" (above an accurate description of the problem/"repairs requested"): "client objection." :sad:
I've known these SAs for years - YEARS - and
they're all really sweet and sincere, so I didn't say anything about it. It would have been awkward and uncomfortable. But now I'm sitting here in my car thinking, the slip really should NOT say "Client objection" but something along the lines of "product malfunction"!
:sad: I guess now I just wait. For how long, I don't know. :sad: Luckily, they located some other alpine moss mediums in JAX, so they can hopefully replace it if they can't "repair" it. But this definitely makes me think twice about wanting the vachetta borough (if it arrives in Jax again), and certainly makes me worry about my reputation as a customer with a reason like that on the repair receipt.
Interesting that a couple of you noticed this issue at the outlets - I saw those posts and mentioned it to them in the store. Again, they were just surprised.
:sad: I'm bumming out.

A few years back when I had one of the inner multi-function pockets' stitching come out of one of my bags, I took into the store for repair. The store manager looked at it, agreed that was unacceptable on a bag only a couple months old, and since the bag was still currently being offered, she immediately replaced my defective bag for a new one. Since this bag is still being offered, it's a little disappointing they didn't offer to replace it.

Hopefully you get satisfactory resolution to the problem.

Hi there: I think they probably would have replaced it, but their store had long since sold out of the alpine moss color (and the black and oxblood, too).
Sigh. I'm annoyed about the whole thing but there's nothing else I can do about it for now.
I've decided that I won't be buying the vachetta borough if it becomes available. I don't want to run the risk of this happening again.
In fact, I need to take a break from bags in general, lol. Hopefully I'll get my alpine moss back good as new and I'll be done with Coach for awhile.

I find it discouraging that they would put client objection to what is obviously a quality problem on their part. I am fearful it could be a problem of not using hardware that is treated properly or simply low quality hardware. Perhaps a cost cutting measure. I purchased the oxblood and gave it to my daughter so I am concerned it is a problem of the first generation bags. It seems to me Coach should have replaced your bag. Please let us know what happens.

Last edited:
I agree with you, Izzy. And I will keep all of you folks updated.

The more I think about it, the more aggravated I get, because I agree that they should have just sent off to Jax for a new one. :sad: And the "client objection" thing really ticks me off.

The thing is, as sweet as they all were, I couldn't help but get the feeling that they thought I was making a big deal over nothing. Maybe that's just my own paranoia, as they have always been incredible in terms of customer service. I emphasized that this problem has NEVER happened before with ANY of my Coach hardware - silver or gold - and that I was just as perplexed as they were. The bag was also in amazing condition, since as I mention, I keep my bags in impeccable shape. (So it wasn't like I was beating my bag up or grinding the hardware against a brick wall or anything. Lol.)

Sigh...sigh...sigh. The receipt says to wait 4-6 weeks before anything happens. Maybe I'll hear from them sooner than that. Chanel's repair service takes MONTHS, I hear, which I think it freaking ridiculous. But I do want my Borough bag back! - in superior condition.

Anyway, thank for letting me vent again. I'll keep y'all posted. :smile:

Last edited: