Is your Hermes bag always noticed? (Or would it be if you had one?)

If you live in/frequent Oakland County (Bloomfield Hills, West Bloomfield, Farmington Hills, Birmingham, Troy), Ann Arbor or Grosse Pointe, people will know Hermes. I've never seen anyone carry one in person but people there are pretty up to date on fashion. Outside of those cities it will be hit or miss, with most people not noticing your Hermes. You say you live in a college town. I find people in college towns to be more cosmopolitan so some people will definitely notice, including some of your colleagues and clients. It's very rare even in the wealthiest parts of Michigan to see a birkin so your clients may be put off by it.... But then again if you show homes in those wealthy areas people may associate your Hermes with success and who doesn't want to be around success?

I think the more upscale your clientile is, the more of a nonissue it would be (if they do recognize it). At the middle to upper-middle of the market, people may be jealous.

coco-nut said:
When you are carrying your Hermes bag, how many people realize it's a very expensive, hard-to-get bag? Or a well-crafted, well-designed bag?

I don't have an Hermes yet, and I wonder how I'll be perceived once I carry one. I guess I am one of the few PF'ers who doesn't immediately notice someone else's bag - but then I rarely look at what other people are carrying.

I was shocked to find out last week that a potential (rich) client of mine was completely impressed with the Kate Spade I was carrying (ha! I bought it at NM's Last Call for a song.) Apparently she talked about it for a week and I know this because we share a housekeeper. Between that little bag and my Hermes scarf she thought I was stylish as could be.

So I am wondering...if I carry a $7,000 bag to listing interviews, will anyone notice and what will they think? Will they think it's fake? Will they just think it's high quality? Will they think I'm overpaid? I am a residential Realtor in a midwestern college town with a metro area of about 200,000 people. I've never seen anyone here carry an Hermes bag, but then, I probably just never noticed.

dianagrace said:
I live in Atlanta and I think the majority of people I pass everyday wouldn't have a clue either.

Actually I think more people WOULD recognize it in Atlanta. The day I got my bag, I was getting lots of stares, knowing nods and smiles from other ladies.

Minnie said:
IMO the Judith Leiber bags are pretty for special occasions , formal events. A birkin and a judith leiber bag are two different species of bags! Cant compare.

Yes, they are different bags, but my point was just that I COULD in fact think of a less expensive purse that might be more attractive in some ways.

Today being Easter, I was at church this morning and there were a lot of other people visiting family attending - and I did notice after the service that several people, toting nice bags of their own, checking out my Hermes!! It feels kind of nice actually - if in fact they are appreciating good taste...

coco-nut said:
I've never seen anyone here carry an Hermes bag, but then, I probably just never noticed.

I have to admit that I am very aware of peole's bags, but that's because of my obvious interest (hello, purse forum) :shame: . and i love it when i spot an hermes.

shoes319 said:
Today being Easter, I was at church this morning and there were a lot of other people visiting family attending - and I did notice after the service that several people, toting nice bags of their own, checking out my Hermes!! It feels kind of nice actually - if in fact they are appreciating good taste...

Good taste, yes. I love how Hermes is so understated. It doesn't scream money, it exudes class.

HiHeels said:
I have to admit that I am very aware of peole's bags, but that's because of my obvious interest (hello, purse forum) :shame: . and i love it when i spot an hermes.

I spot bags so much that whenever someone walks by w/ an LV my little sister will ALWAYS ask: "Charissa...is that one real or fake?"

She's 14, so cute!! :P

clanalois said:
Good taste, yes. I love how Hermes is so understated. It doesn't scream money, it exudes class.

hmmm, i think hermes bags aren't flashy, so they don't scream for attention for the most part (pink crocodile birkin might be the exception :nuts: ) but i do think that they whisper money very very loudly, given that if they are recognized as hermes, they are then also recognized for costing in the 4-5 figures. :smile:

clanalois said:

Definitely. And I like how someone else said it WHISPERS money when people realize its an Hermes bag.

Someone once told me that flash is trash. I think that was harsh, but I know what they were trying to say. Hermes is anything but flashy and that's one reason I LOVE it.

HiHeels said:
hmmm, i think hermes bags aren't flashy, so they don't scream for attention for the most part (pink crocodile birkin might be the exception :nuts: ) but i do think that they whisper money very very loudly, given that if they are recognized as hermes, they are then also recognized for costing in the 4-5 figures. :smile:

I like your comment better than mine -- "whispers money very very loudly." :lol:

clanalois said:
I like your comment better than mine -- "whispers money very very loudly." :lol:

LOL, so true! I was shopping in Santa Monica this past weekend and saw a lovely older couple strolling along, but the first thing I noticed was the gorgeous orange birkin the lady was holding (and her Diane Von Furstenberg wrap dress:love: ). I believe it was a smaller size of the Birkin, possibly a 25? I don't know because I had not seen one IRL before that day. OMG, my heart almost stopped and I almost stopped in my tracks, but that would have looked very strange if I did that:lol:

amkur said:
LOL, so true! I was shopping in Santa Monica this past weekend and saw a lovely older couple strolling along, but the first thing I noticed was the gorgeous orange birkin the lady was holding (and her Diane Von Furstenberg wrap dress:love: ). I believe it was a smaller size of the Birkin, possibly a 25? I don't know because I had not seen one IRL before that day. OMG, my heart almost stopped and I almost stopped in my tracks, but that would have looked very strange if I did that:lol:

lol, I see hermes bags frequently, and I still do a double take when I spot one. :amuse: i hesitate to ask... but how old was the "older couple"? (please don't say in their 30s, please don't say in their 30s :amazed: :lol: )