Is your Hermes bag always noticed? (Or would it be if you had one?)

I agree with Noriko, I live in Milan and here people are fashion addicted, so most of them notice my Birkin, and I get many compliments also from strangers in the streets:smile:

Hi everyone. I'm new to the forum but I wanted to weigh in on this discussion. I just bought a beautiful brown Kelly for my birthday two weeks ago and I have definitely gotten some looks. Its interesting though because as some of you said, the Kelly's tend to fly under the radar. You have to be in a fashion conscious area for people to pick up on what you are carrying. I bought mine from the Hermes store in Atlanta and I got great service from salespeople in other upscale stores who would have previously ignored me. :smile:

I think it depends on location. When I was in London, I saw a few birkins and kellys, but when I was in Boston I saw none. In Jakarta here, there are lotsa ladies wearing birkins or kellys, especially in upscale malls and all that. I received a few stares when I was in London as I was walking around, and ppl here in Jakarta def know what a birkin is. I always wear my birkins open with the flap tucked down, this is meant only for easier access and not to show the Hermes stamp. It is a PITA to wear birkins with the flaps closed properly..

I hope my new kelly flies under the radar. I bought it because I love hermes but I do NOT want my family and friends to know what I paid for it. They would think I was a total idiot for spending more than $100 on a bag:sad:

PGN said:
I hope my new kelly flies under the radar. I bought it because I love hermes but I do NOT want my family and friends to know what I paid for it. They would think I was a total idiot for spending more than $100 on a bag:sad:

I'll be in the same boat as you if/when I ever get a kelly. I think most people around me do not own anything hermes, but would nevertheless be able to identify a birkin or kelly, but they might also assume it was fake. I would be fine with that since I would be buying it for myself. I think the kelly stands out more then the birkin actually, since the birkin is a tote and many people carry totes. A kelly is so distinctive, and at least with the current styles, it's not remotely trendy.

wow, had to join the forum just to join in this discussion!! i remember a few years ago i sent my bag to NY to get it refurbished - and when i was sending it via the local ups outlet, i asked to insure it - for $6k.. and you should have SEEN the looks i got :weird: this one lady reached over and says "OH.MY.GOD.! you spent THAT much money on a stupid purse?.. of course it's your money.." and the girl who was taking my order says "well, why would you want it to be packaged, it's just a purse" :weird: and since then i've always been a bit self conscious about carrying my birkin.. though it doesn't seem like anyone here recognizes it at all - and as a result, never notice any difference in service, in compliments, etc.. and i have to say, i almost prefer it that way.

TheArtofAcquisition said:
I wonder...is a Birkin really that much more beautiful than a 2K purse? Or is it the status that we buy (obviously!). What I like about the Birkin is that it is timeless. But it is a lot of money for timeless!

Good question. Honestly, even though I want a Birkin, I think the Kelly is a much prettier bag. I think that perhaps it IS a status thing with the Birkin. And sales didn't really take off like they have in recent years until that episode of SATC. Even though there are some beautiful exotic skins for birkins, just looking at it without all the hoopla, I don't know if people would still feel the same about it. I have seen some 2k purses that actually ARE more beautiful than the birkin...especially Judith Leiber purses.

I agree with someone who said she wants to keep her family from finding out the real amount she paid for her bags. I always take like 1000 off when I told my parents how much my Hermes bags are, LOL..

My Mom is beginning to get the picture of me loving these bags so much. She knows I'm addicted to these bags, she knows that my LV bags are not supposed to be exposed to sunlight :shame: :shame: coz I dont want the vachetta do darken too soon, and now she knows I'm beginning to get addicted to Hermes bags and all she can do is scratch her head and gimme the "whatever" look on her face..:cry:

And no, my parents dont buy me these bags. They do bought me several, but the Hermes bags i paid for myself by selling my old bags and my savings..

I live in NZ, i guess most ppl dont know what BIRKIN is... I used my birkin sometimes, some of my friend knew it is a BIrkin but they dont know the retail price. some other ppl have no cue what bag it is.. just a normal leather bag in their pt of view.

But in HK, it is a completely different story. Usually if you use a birkin, the sales will treat u much better ! I used my birkin today at sydney and i think less than 10 ppl able to identify it.

Most people I know probably wouldn't realize what I was carrying. My sister would recognize it because she wants a Birkin (but is never going to get one because she is about to marry the cheapest man in the universe) but the rest of my family and my friends probably wouldn't have a clue. I live in Atlanta and I think the majority of people I pass everyday wouldn't have a clue either.

Last weekend when I was at Hermes the SA told me the wonderful thing about Hermes is no one will know it is Hermes unless they know Hermes. She is absolutely right.

In NYC people NOTICE! always. They might not say anything but you certainly get the grill down, SA's know it, fellow shoppers at bergdorf know it and even the businessmen walking up and down the streets of Manhattan know it. All of my friends and family friends know about Hermes bags. It depends on your souroundings and the city you live in.

nathansgirl1908 said:
Good question. Honestly, even though I want a Birkin, I think the Kelly is a much prettier bag. I think that perhaps it IS a status thing with the Birkin. And sales didn't really take off like they have in recent years until that episode of SATC. Even though there are some beautiful exotic skins for birkins, just looking at it without all the hoopla, I don't know if people would still feel the same about it. I have seen some 2k purses that actually ARE more beautiful than the birkin...especially Judith Leiber purses.

IMO the Judith Leiber bags are pretty for special occasions , formal events. A birkin and a judith leiber bag are two different species of bags! Cant compare.