Is vachetta really that hard to take care of?

I don't currently own an LV but am so close to getting one. Everyone complains about how hard it is to keep the vachetta trim on mono LVs clean...but is it really that annoying? I think that I generally take good care of my bags, and I would never put it in on the floor or just throw it around. But at the same time, I wouldn't want to have to worry about it all the time.

I appreciate all comments and experiences...especially with breaking in a new mono bag.

I'm interested in the Cabas Piano, btw. So, there's that big vachetta piece slapped on the bottom!!

It definitely takes effort to keep clean when you've got a big hunk of it in one area like the Cabas Piano, and that's one of the reasons why I went with the Babylone tote instead. I also like the zip top for security.

With bags like the Speedy, it isn't nearly as much of an issue.

Exactly. That's why I'm not into the cabas piano anymore. I would be way too paranoid! I'm looking into a batignolles horizontal because the bottom is mostly mono canvas.

I was contemplating posting a very similar thread myself. Thanks for sharing a like-mind and beating me to it.

I have been interested in the Cabas Mezzo for a LONG time, but I can't bring myself to purchase it because I'm so afraid of the vachetta. If I buy the bag I would be using it to tote things around, and I'm afraid that I would not be able to be particularly delicate with it. I love the style and the size of the bag though; I really want one. I know the damier line has some great larger sized tote bags in it, but as hard as I try, I can't warm up to the damier. I much prefer the monogram. I have looked at both Batignolles and unfortunately neither of them are large enough for my needs.

Would it be worth taking the risk with the Mezzo? I would be using it on a regular basis, and I would hate to see it get ruined quickly. Precautionary measures of course would be taken, but I'm worried that use, and the elements, will take their toll on the bag.

I would love to hear from anyone who has tried the Shining Monkey products. If I can find something to coat my bag with that will protect it from staining, I would put the money down for a Cabas Mezzo in a second.

Shining Monkey users or Cabas Mezzo owners: thoughts would be GREATLY appreciated.

angstofgumby,

Great minds think alike!

I feel EXACTLY the same way you do. I may just go ahead and take the plunge though, especially since eLuxury's free shipping ends tonight. Sometimes I think I'm worrying too much about the "what ifs" that if I "what if" it to death, I'll never get the bag.

Plus, like what a few people have mentioned, you can always get LV to replace the vachetta for about $100 if it gets really dirty. Right, gals? Correct me if I'm wrong on the replacement fee.

You have made some excellent points, BrownPaperBag. I've been thinking about the Cabas Mezzo for so long that I just need to go ahead and purchase it already.

I would love confirmation on the vachetta replacement as well.

Also, does anyone know if eLuxury charges sales tax to residents who live in a state where there is a LV store? I'm in NY, and if I can get away with not having to pay sales tax by ordering through eLuxury, I would prefer to purchase from them.

i'm really looking into get the cabas piano and the vachetta on the bottom is a big concern of mine. but i don't ever put my bags on the floor so hopefully i won't have any problems. i've seen many used cabas, mezzos, and altos, and a lot of them have pretty clean bottoms for bags that are 4 and 5 years old.

Yup, you can the vachetta replaced. If you are looking for a bag that you don't have to worry about getting dirty then you should consider getting a different LV. How about a poppincourt haut or batignolles?

angstofgumby said:
I was contemplating posting a very similar thread myself. Thanks for sharing a like-mind and beating me to it.

I have been interested in the Cabas Mezzo for a LONG time, but I can't bring myself to purchase it because I'm so afraid of the vachetta. If I buy the bag I would be using it to tote things around, and I'm afraid that I would not be able to be particularly delicate with it. I love the style and the size of the bag though; I really want one. I know the damier line has some great larger sized tote bags in it, but as hard as I try, I can't warm up to the damier. I much prefer the monogram. I have looked at both Batignolles and unfortunately neither of them are large enough for my needs.

Would it be worth taking the risk with the Mezzo? I would be using it on a regular basis, and I would hate to see it get ruined quickly. Precautionary measures of course would be taken, but I'm worried that use, and the elements, will take their toll on the bag.

I would love to hear from anyone who has tried the Shining Monkey products. If I can find something to coat my bag with that will protect it from staining, I would put the money down for a Cabas Mezzo in a second.

Shining Monkey users or Cabas Mezzo owners: thoughts would be GREATLY appreciated.

You should go to the store and try both bags, the MEzzo and the BH and put your stuff into it. I found that the Mezzo and Piano do not hold that much because of the rigid shape. I have the Bat H. and it holds a TON.
You cant tell unless you put your stuff into it.

Selena

pursegalsf said:
Yup, you can the vachetta replaced. If you are looking for a bag that you don't have to worry about getting dirty then you should consider getting a different LV. How about a poppincourt haut or batignolles?

I thought about both of those bags, but I like the clean lines of the cabas piano. I don't care for the extra details, like the buckles.

It would've been perfect if they had a similar bag in damier.

Thanks for the sales tax info, Sanguar.

Selena, I have tried both Batignolles bags, several bags from the damier line and also the Cabas Mezzo. Unfortunately the Batignolles (horizontal and vertical) are too small. And I can't warm up to the damier bags. So that leaves me with the Mezzo. I love the shape and the look of the Mezzo, my only concern is the vachetta. I'm really worried that I might get the bottom of the bag too dirty and ruin it through repeated use. Any Mezzo owners here who can reassure me?