is tv a waste of time

Every person is going to have a different opinion on this. Some people like educational TV while others prefer entertainment. So it's in the eye of the beholder. Personally I don't care for TV. Outside of movies, I don't really watch it. Well.. except for Project Runway and Monk.

i also disagree with this that TV is waste of time.
TV provides a lot of information about whole world. When we tired a lot there are some TV shows which entertain the person. When i came back from my office i always like to Watch Rescue Me Episode. After watching this episode i feel relax.

I don't watch much tv because I would rather read. I really love quiet. (I have 3 kids) But there a few shows that I like. I watch AI with my family and the nice people on this forum have gotten me into True Blood. Other than that, I like movies.

I'm completely for whatever helps you to relax.

Scripted TV is batting WAY, WAY higher in terms of quality than movies are these days...

Its rare to get anything in theatres with the breadth and scope and complex subtlety of The Sopranos, Rome, Deadwood, Battlestar Galactica, Friday Night Lights, Mad Men.... All the sophistication has left the big screen for tv. Many of these writers are true artists and deserve more praise than they get.