Is Trolling Illegal ?

Socialite

Fashionista
Aug 9, 2006
Hi everyone, I have some members (Trolls) on a forum I moderate and they ask if Trolling is Illegal ??. Can anyone give me some info...it would be much appreciated so I can forward it to them.

Actually, there is that law about being a nuisance on the internet.
And in case of extreme trolls, a site can always put somebody's name in the TOS stating that they aren't welcome on the site, blah blah. I've seen it done, heh. Of course the cost of persuing any legal action against the guy wouldn't have been worth it once we sniffed out his new account, but yeah.

edit: Create an e-annoyance, go to jail | Perspectives | CNET News.com
Trolling is annoying so it fits the bill in my mind, at least :biggrin:

Actually, there is that law about being a nuisance on the internet.
And in case of extreme trolls, a site can always put somebody's name in the TOS stating that they aren't welcome on the site, blah blah. I've seen it done, heh. Of course the cost of persuing any legal action against the guy wouldn't have been worth it once we sniffed out his new account, but yeah.

edit: Create an e-annoyance, go to jail | Perspectives | CNET News.com
Trolling is annoying so it fits the bill in my mind, at least :biggrin:

Thankyou so much, you saved my life :love: :flowers: God bless you ! (I hope your christian :greengrin:smile:

lol well they are making the forum a mess so I deleted the post and said that if they carried on in the future and it got really bad then maybe Admin could take legal action. Now they are saying that this is a lie and you can do as you please on the internet and no legal action can be taken. :smile: how annoying lol

how annoying lol
How lovely. I could never understand why on earth, of all the things in the world, somebody would choose trolling as a pasttime. I've got oddles of stories from my old forum. There was this one wack job that honestly had to be mentally ill... he had to have made 30 accounts at least, quasi-stalked people (requesting boob pics!!) and threatened to kill and sue and oh the list goes on.

The best rule of thumb:

troll.gif

They WILL go away when they are ignored. They're just looking for a reaction. When they don't get it, they leave.

The subject in general is very touchy due to freedom of speech and such. But Just today its been settled. Trolling IS in fact illegal. It has been moved to Verbal abuse/Harassment and Bullying Claus.

Some teens in Oregon are currently on Trial for excessively Trolling people on forums. ( Not the same person, but multiple people )

Due to the extreme rise in online activity the government is starting to regulate and restrict some online usage and are now enforcing 'civil' matters online. Though no " standard " internet trolling rules exist. Excessive harassing messages and persistent trolling is punishable by law. Though i think the punishments will be very vague due to no real in place standards of what trolling really is.

So if you want to help the Admin. Inform him of this and instruct him to retrieve the IP's of the users. Screen shots of the harassing messages and inform the police.

Given most of the trolls use stupid insults that are racial or sexual, ( which i dont feel i really need to clarify ) is considered Sexual Harassment. As we know today is a serious crime and is enforced daily.

My personal feelings on this topic:

AMAZING. PLEASE through these idiots in jail. General Logic is that if they have the time to troll. They are harming the society, which we through people in jail for regularly. This whole thing needs to get worked out soon. I am getting very tired of Playing a game and dealing with the trolls. Most games i play i just instantly mute all players. Even in forums there are always one or two idiots that i am surprised that can even read, trolling my members.

As a multiple forum owner. I have implemented into my T.O.S about trolling and have stated the fullest extent of the law will be taken against those whole troll. I suggest everyone implement something of that sort into theirs.