Is trashiness "in " right now or something?

There's a segment that's rude/trashy in every society. Read up on Dicken's England and you'll find the same thing. Or Nero's empire and the Romans. Many past cultures have followed cycles that can be spotted in our communities as well, where the boundaries of acceptable behavior occasionally expand to include fairly extreme actions. But sometimes, this kind of open, public crassness is tied to a socio-economic group, rather than a group that's defined by age. Still, the rude will always be with us - except for the few that grow out of it.

So yeah, just find some new people to hang out with.

Maybe over time you are meeting different people than you were previously. Sometimes the clientele of places shifts and you get different demographic groups patronizing a places. "Trashy" is one of those demographic groups who shifts their favorite locales (they aren't a socio-economic demographic, they are a "lifestyle habit" demographic, meaning they come from all walks of life in my terminology). I suspect that they are in the hunt for newer, greener pastures to relieve themselves on and fresh faces to offend like some sort of cloud of locusts or something.

:lol:

DH & I had a discussion about this. While that I think that the OP's experience was particularly extreme, I do think that people are kind of peaking on the "trashy/offensive behavior" meter. Each generation pushes the limits of the next, which is fine and expected. However, the limits can only go so far before you start hitting some harder/more offensive limits (e.g. egging someone on to commit suicide). A lot of offensive behavior is glorified on reality shows, which removes some of the social stigma. Less social stigma usually leads to said behavior appearing more in everyday situations.

It's unfortunate that with the internet, social networking, cell phones with video and picture capabilities, cable television, and many parents not being home when their kids are, they are exposed to a LOT more "mature" and trashy things because no one is there to filter it. Even when parents are home, they cannot always monitor what their kids find online. This is what is influencing kids these days. It seems like the lousy role models and people getting in trouble, celebs having DUI arrests, singers performing onstage in underwear shown on tv, all this is covered more in the news than good role models, and even glamorized. I think you are absolutely right.

I don't think it's everyone, but with the spread of technology, these formerly smaller groups that have always functioned as offensive, are reaching a wider number of people.

I can understand the frustration. I sat out on my porch the other day and watched a mixed group of teenagers strolling along the street. One girl spit and the others laughed. I thought it was disgusting and know that when I was a teen, this behavior would have been the LAST thing a girl wanted to do in front of boys.
While I agree with some posts that are urging you not to take this behavior as a symbol of what our society has become, it does happen a lot lately and makes one think that SOMETHING is moving extremely quickly downhill. It seems like women are expected to behave more like the stereotypical male. I don't think they realize that most men still want a woman to behave like a lady.

There is actually a GREAT book that speaks to this topic. It's called Unhooked: How Young Women Pursue Sex, Delay Love, and Lose At Both by Laura Sessions Stepp. I think the OP would enjoy the read. Here's a link to the author's site: http://www.laurastepp.com/

Last edited:
You are all right.

While obviously, opinions about this or that behavior have never been exactly the same throughout any society, in the past few decades, there have been some significant changes in a number of societies, including the US.

But understand that mine is the perspective of someone who will turn 58 in August.

If I were in my 20s, or even my 30s, I'd be one of the ones emphatically asserting that there had NOT been any huge changes in society between my high school days and the present - and I'd be right!

What is intriguing is this: We can all agree, I think, that one of the biggest changes any of us has seen in our lifetimes, even if we are in our early 20s - is technology.

Now wouldn't you think that the technology of cell phones and internet, that can turn even one instance of trashy behavior - or just a really unfortunate teen fashion choice - into a permanent, indelible record that will be available for viewing by one's grandchildren, and their grandchildren, not to mention potential employers, would make people less likely to engage - at least publicly - in things like pulling up of shirts? (Throw me something, Mister!).

In the public displays of affection common in Olden Times, mucous membranes were not visible to observers.

Yet we do see a definite increase in life imitating art (reality shows are art, whether you like them or not) that runs right alongside the popularity of Tila Tequila and Bret Michaels, and the doings of all those contestants hoping to win their love!

And guess what! One of the main reasons we are seeing that increase is because of all that technology!

In Olden Times, what happened at Mardi Gras stayed at Mardi Gras.

Today, it's up on youtube within the hour - and sent out to the contacts list of any number of people who had their cell phones up and clicking when it happened!

The same goes, of course, for Spring Break, and prom, and graduation night, and New Years Eve, and well, Tuesday.

Yet people keep on imitating reality show hamsters anyway!

So maybe somebody can explain me THAT!

I look forward to hearing your theories!