Is Togo leather getting thinner.....

Ms Birkin

O.G.
Jun 21, 2008
Or is it just my imagination?

Last Summer, I received my first Togo Birkin (on a M) and I love it. However Ive just received my second Togo Birkin last month (again a M) but the leather feels much thinner.

Are Hermes gradually reducing the thickness of the leathers? I know that there will always be some variance between skins as no two are the same, but when you feel these two bags there is a definate difference

I think it's natural variance in the leather. As well as there can be large and small graining differences. I've got two Ulysse notebooks and they are completely different in thickness as well as graining!

I think it's natural variance in the leather. As well as there can be large and small graining differences. I've got two Ulysse notebooks and they are completely different in thickness as well as graining!

Thanks Knapsu, I thought I was going mad, the more I loked at them the more noticeable it became

I have noticed it too.. My H stamp Togo Birkin feels thicker and it doesn't show the batwings as much as my M stamp Togo Birkin which has 'batwinged' after a few uses.

I have a togo Birkin visibly softer than my clemance one (sooo soft it can't not stand alone). Many people mistakenly think my clemance is togo since it holds the shape really well and it's not floppy. But it is clemamce! My another clemance Birkin falls if I let it sit by itself, SUPER soft!

I noticed the same thing too, my Jan2010 M stamp Togo birkin is softer/lighter/thinner than my June2009 M stamp Togo birkin.

It's softer but not slouchy, still holds its shape, it bat-wings easily; I don't mind since it's lighter in weight.

I noticed the same thing too, my Jan2010 M stamp Togo birkin is softer/lighter/thinner than my June2009 M stamp Togo birkin.

It's softer but not slouchy, still holds its shape, it bat-wings easily; I don't mind since it's lighter in weight.

The funny thing was I had actually ordered Clemence and when the Togo arrived I thought "oh well at least it wont be as slouchy as my Clemence" We will wait and see.....

it is natural over the years i have seen so many variations of one skin type unbelievable but also charming in my opinion i cherish mother nature and love that each bag you can see smell and see what it is is and that it is not overprocessed etc.

i think you will love it and do not compare you take it for what is is and appreciate its own beauty

I have noticed it too.. My H stamp Togo Birkin feels thicker and it doesn't show the batwings as much as my M stamp Togo Birkin which has 'batwinged' after a few uses.

I have an I stamp togo birkin, and an M stamp one. The I is far thicker and certainly heavier. When I picked up the M bag in Paris and lifted it, the first words out of my mouth were--"it is light". A big difference.

it is natural over the years i have seen so many variations of one skin type unbelievable but also charming in my opinion i cherish mother nature and love that each bag you can see smell and see what it is is and that it is not overprocessed etc.

i think you will love it and do not compare you take it for what is is and appreciate its own beauty

Please don't get me wrong I love both bags, I actually like the fact that these bags are handmade and therefore each one individual and slightly different. It was more curiousity than anything else regarding the thickness of the leather

I also haven't found it to have anything to do with older vs. newer Togo, but there is definitely a substantial variation between individual skins. I have a Clemence which is less slouchy than some of my Togos, and Togos that vary greatly between them. But it doesn't seem to have anything to do with their age - the skins just seem to be very individual, which actually makes perfect sense.

Or is it just my imagination?

Last Summer, I received my first Togo Birkin (on a M) and I love it. However Ive just received my second Togo Birkin last month (again a M) but the leather feels much thinner.

Are Hermes gradually reducing the thickness of the leathers? I know that there will always be some variance between skins as no two are the same, but when you feel these two bags there is a definate difference

It sure wouldn't surprize me, Ms Birkin. Have you tried to buy a white blouse lately??? They keep getting thinner and thinner....not good. ;)

I believe this is true..

my J stamp blue jean is thicker n tougher

my M stamp orange togo is slighter thinner than J stamp
my M stamp rouge garrance is definately noticeably thinner and has noticeable slouch....thinner to the feel too..

i hope my N stamp which is coming isnt going to be like this..i like it thick and standing upright..

all my birkins are togo..

My Fjord (L stamp) is the best, thick sturdy leather, still standing even though I use it as my workhorse bag and it is the lighter fjord which helps greatly (doesn't weigh a ton before you put anything in it)

I have a togo Birkin visibly softer than my clemance one (sooo soft it can't not stand alone). Many people mistakenly think my clemance is togo since it holds the shape really well and it's not floppy. But it is clemamce! My another clemance Birkin falls if I let it sit by itself, SUPER soft!

I have the opposite, not too floppy, but when I got my togo Birkin in 2007 I brought it in to show my regular SA (got it from another boutique), he thought it was Clemence from the grain and look of the leather.