Is Tiffany silver a good "investment"?

Dec 24, 2012
[ Hi,
I'm interested in this Tiffany sterling silver cuff. I think it is very nice. I have no experience with sterling silver or Tiffany jewelry in general so I was not sure if this is "worth it". How is the resale value of Tiffany silver compared to gold or platinum? I am not buying to sell, but I like to have that option in case one day I needed to. Any tips would be greatly appreciated

Attachments

• IMG_1520.jpg
    IMG_1520.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 3,713
Unless you are buying a limited edition piece or something rare, I'd never buy Tiffany as an investment. If you were to resell you could get anything from 30% to 70% of the price you paid (depending on a range of factors, I'm being very generally there).

It's a gorgeous cuff, if you like it get it!! But definitely don't get it if you want to buy it as an investment.

Jewelry is never a good "investment" in the true sense. I love jewelry and I buy it for the pure pleasure of wearing it. That said, my recommendation is if you buy jewelry, I would suggest only buying branded pieces such as Tiffany, Cartier, Mikimoto, VCA.

Without a brand, jewelry is almost worth nothing if you try and resell it. A branded piece will hold its value a lot more. Yes, you pay more for a branded piece like Tiffany, but it is well worth it to know you have a special piece of jewelry and also for resale.

For silver pieces, I only buy Tiffany. I sold some old pieces which I no longer wear and there is always a buyer.

The cuff you posted is lovely. If you like bold cuffs, may I suggest the Bone Cuff? It is an iconic Tiffany piece.

I would definitely go with Tiffany. Oh, and keep the box, pouch, receipt, etc in case you wish to sell or pass it to a friend in the future who admires it.

Good luck!

I don't think too much about the resale value when I buy Tiffany pieces but as other posters have mentioned, they do have a better resale value compared to non branded jewelry. It has been more than 10 years since I purchased my first TIffany piece and I have added many pieces since. I do wear certain pieces often, some daily and some of them only get worn a couple of times a year. The ones which get worn a lot are to me, money well spent.

The cuff you like is beautiful. I only own a few Tiffay silver pieces but my favorite silver piece is my bone cuff.

Thank you all for replying. When I said investment I didn't mean actual investment like real estates or stock. I meant something valuable that is durable, last for a long time and can get me some money if I get bored with it or need the money someday.

Jewelry is never a good "investment" in the true sense. I love jewelry and I buy it for the pure pleasure of wearing it. That said, my recommendation is if you buy jewelry, I would suggest only buying branded pieces such as Tiffany, Cartier, Mikimoto, VCA.

Without a brand, jewelry is almost worth nothing if you try and resell it. A branded piece will hold its value a lot more. Yes, you pay more for a branded piece like Tiffany, but it is well worth it to know you have a special piece of jewelry and also for resale.

For silver pieces, I only buy Tiffany. I sold some old pieces which I no longer wear and there is always a buyer.

The cuff you posted is lovely. If you like bold cuffs, may I suggest the Bone Cuff? It is an iconic Tiffany piece.

I would definitely go with Tiffany. Oh, and keep the box, pouch, receipt, etc in case you wish to sell or pass it to a friend in the future who admires it.

Good luck!
Thank you for replying. Why is jewelry worth little without a brand? Isn't it at least worth the gold or diamond that it is made of? One might not get what one paid for quickly considering that you are charged for the craftsmanship and other things, but if you wear it and enjoy it...can you get money from it one day? I'm curious...what do you think?

Silver generally hovers at around $15-30 an ounce. Gold, last time I checked, was at $1,300-ish. And that's for 24k, rather than 18k, which is only 75% gold, and 14k is just shy of 60%. If you sell metals for their weight alone, expect to receive a small fraction of what you paid. Brand names change that, raising the value based on how desirable the brand is.

Reactions: verychic555
Thank you for replying. Why is jewelry worth little without a brand? Isn't it at least worth the gold or diamond that it is made of? One might not get what one paid for quickly considering that you are charged for the craftsmanship and other things, but if you wear it and enjoy it...can you get money from it one day? I'm curious...what do you think?

Hi! It is exactly as what outwest said. Without a brand, the value is just the raw materials. With a brand, there is a market for those who are willing to pay for branded items. The best example is clothing or handbags. I love Chanel handbags and shoes but I know I am paying for the brand. You can get a beautiful leather handbag, even custom made in Italy, and it would cost far less than a Chanel handbag. But if you try and resell they bag, you will get almost nothing for it.

For me, jewelry must always be a branded piece. Without a brand, especially for silver, you can go super cheap... Taxco silver cheap...$20.00 cuff cheap.

Good luck to you!

Even for Tiffany/branded silver, unless it is a major piece, rare or antique, or has significant provenance, don't expect to get more than 15-20% of the price back (if that) if you try to resell through a dealer. Remember that a dealer is likely to mark the piece up at least 100% more than what they paid you when they price it for sale. The vast majority of jewelry is a very poor "investment" and I use that word cautiously. Most any jewelry - even branded pieces - other than those that fall into the categories I enumerated above loses a substantial amount of its retail value the minute you walk out the door with it. If you sell privately to another individual, you may be able to recoup closer to what was paid. Oh, and some vintage Taxco pieces (and even some contemporary ones) can go for huge sums of money.

Thank you guys for your precious tips. I always thought of jewelry as wearable money for the future. Not really a true investment, but something I can get money out of. Maybe it is different depending on your country, but where I am from, women buy jewelry and wear it for years knowing they have something valuable. Some sell their jewelry when they face financial difficulties. When I finished high school and did well, my dad bought me a gold necklace from a local market. I still have the receipt and know how much he paid. Fast forward 20 years, and considering the price of gold back home and the weight by gram of the necklace, that necklace is worth in theory more than three times the original price. But it took that many years to get there. It seems that here in the US things are different. I can see where your advice is coming from.

Last edited:
Reactions: kkfiregirl
I love tiffanys and have a bunch of silver pieces from them. Personally I wouldn't spend more than $600 on a piece of silver jewellery from tiffany because at that price point you are better off getting something in gold. Silver shows wear much faster and tarnishes much more quickly so for that reason I wouldn't spend too much on a silver piece.

Is a good investment for me because I wear my Tiffany every single day. On top of that I receive great customer service while doing the shopping for bday and anniversary.

And even if I sell them in the future only getting 50% back, I still think it is ok because I literally wear it day and night, 24/7 for a few years...

The US generally has a lower standard for jewelry than many other parts of the world such as India; mass-produced "mall" jewelry is often just 14k or even 10k, and "high end" is 18k. So our re-sell values are less than countries where more beautiful 20-24k jewelry is the norm.

I love tiffanys and have a bunch of silver pieces from them. Personally I wouldn't spend more than $600 on a piece of silver jewellery from tiffany because at that price point you are better off getting something in gold. Silver shows wear much faster and tarnishes much more quickly so for that reason I wouldn't spend too much on a silver piece.
Totally agree. I have the silver mesh earrings with a teeny diamond in them and wondered why I ever bought them and should have went w a gold piece. I would buy silver to enjoy every day but not spend too much. I also think I would venture into gold once I hit $600 plus.