Is this YSL bag trendy or classic?

Dec 24, 2012
Hi,
I am interested in the YSL Cassandra top handle bag in a either vintage white (not bright white), warm taupe or camel (I think it is called latte). I am leaning towards the vintage white color. My question is this bag trendy or classic? The shape is classic and chic but is the color trendy and will go out of style in a few seasons? Or is it also classic? This will be my very first YSL bag. I know white bags are big now, but I want something classic and will not look dated a few seasons from now. Do you guys recommend the taupe or camel instead? Please let me know. Thanks!C2E1F5CA-82C3-44F5-90C4-4B47BE3EDDA8.pngE3D967E7-2154-487A-8FE7-1D71322FEBC5.png021E3F9D-ABA6-4574-8328-6464C395CF7F.png

Hi,
I am interested in the YSL Cassandra top handle bag in a either vintage white (not bright white), warm taupe or camel (I think it is called latte). I am leaning towards the vintage white color. My question is this bag trendy or classic? The shape is classic and chic but is the color trendy and will go out of style in a few seasons? Or is it also classic? This will be my very first YSL bag. I know white bags are big now, but I want something classic and will not look dated a few seasons from now. Do you guys recommend the taupe or camel instead? Please let me know. Thanks!View attachment 4786325View attachment 4786326View attachment 4786327
That bag is super cute! I love the way it looks too and also thought of getting it in a nude. I went to Nordstrom to look at it and the dept manager talked me out of it. The way the bag opens and closes is very prone to wear and scratching of the hardware and the bag itself because of how you have to close it. Also, he said that even from moving the bag back and forth in their display sets they see a lot of wear and tear on them. I would go in and see it in person. Hopefully I didn’t discourage you but I thought I’d share because it is a gorgeous bag.

Reactions: C.Ly and 880
That bag is super cute! I love the way it looks too and also thought of getting it in a nude. I went to Nordstrom to look at it and the dept manager talked me out of it. The way the bag opens and closes is very prone to wear and scratching of the hardware and the bag itself because of how you have to close it. Also, he said that even from moving the bag back and forth in their display sets they see a lot of wear and tear on them. I would go in and see it in person. Hopefully I didn’t discourage you but I thought I’d share because it is a gorgeous bag.
Thank you for your feedback. Actually I did go and see it in person and I tried it on (the white one). It was in the grained leather which is quite durable. It also comes in smooth leather which is very prone to scratches. I also tried opening it but I personally didn’t feel that the hardware would scratch because I have short nails. I don’t know. Someone later told me about a different issue which is faulty mechanism that opens and closes the bag which could happen with regular use. I am not very concerned with that either because I don’t want it for daily use all year round. I appreciate all your advice. It is interesting the potential things that you may not notice about a bag
I just thought wow what a chic bag that could go with everything

Reactions: C.Ly and 880
Thank you for your feedback. Actually I did go and see it in person and I tried it on (the white one). It was in the grained leather which is quite durable. It also comes in smooth leather which is very prone to scratches. I also tried opening it but I personally didn’t feel that the hardware would scratch because I have short nails. I don’t know. Someone later told me about a different issue which is faulty mechanism that opens and closes the bag which could happen with regular use. I am not very concerned with that either because I don’t want it for daily use all year round. I appreciate all your advice. It is interesting the potential things that you may not notice about a bag
I just thought wow what a chic bag that could go with everything
That’s great you had a chance to touch the bag and try it on. I had to go to two different locations at Nordstrom and they said they weren’t letting people touch the product due to the current situation. So I had to watch him struggle with the clasp and talk me out of it. I hope you get it if you can! It’s a gorgeous bag and I love the 2nd one. If you get it, please post pics so I can live vicariously through you!

I am trying to decide between the same two colors. Absolutely love the bag! Defuse classic. Did you make the purchase? If so what’s color and size did you end up getting?

@verychic555 Did you end up getting a Cassandra? I’ve been drooling over this style since I saw it a few years ago. I think it’s totally timeless and chic. With the back pocket and durable grain de poudre leather, it’s practical too. So surprised it hasn’t been more popular. Wish I’d snagged the mini in granite with silver hardware when I had the chance....would have been my ultimate perfect bag!

@foxgal @Ivygigi
Actually I did not end up getting this bag. As beautiful as it was and as much as I loved it the first time I tried it on, when I saw it multiple times i started worrying that the white color might look “dirty” with continued use, and I wasn’t able to see the other colors in person. I also wished it was a little larger. It is a beautiful classic bag, but I highly recommend you try it on multiple times if you can. Good luck