Is this worth returning or get it fixed myself?

SK007

Jul 31, 2014
I bought my Mikas Pond Janelle more than a year ago in May 2013, but the strap broke in July 2013. Like it just suddenly snapped while I was standing at a club. I e-mailed KS customer repair this month, and fortunately, I had proof it broke in July last year after Instagramming it.

I was e-mailed back and was told that it's been "deemed unrepairable", and I can send it in for KS credit, but they're making me send it to the NJ Repairs Department (the shipping is on me, too!)! I think this is quite an easy fix. The glue came off, but I can find some E6000 and get someone to stitch this, I'm sure.

Is this worth it? To be fair, I've been looking into getting a Tory Burch Robinson Saffiano or Adjustable Shoulder Bag in black.

Attachments

Danzie89

Jun 28, 2014
Chicago, IL
The NJ repair shop did some exceptional work on my new little minka that I purchased in June of this year. What did the Kate Spade rep tell you about sending it in? If they're not able to repair it, are they going to find you a replacement strap or what? I think it's unacceptable for something to break like that only a few months after purchasing it--especially since these bags aren't exactly cheap!!!

SK007

Jul 31, 2014
The NJ repair shop did some exceptional work on my new little minka that I purchased in June of this year. What did the Kate Spade rep tell you about sending it in? If they're not able to repair it, are they going to find you a replacement strap or what? I think it's unacceptable for something to break like that only a few months after purchasing it--especially since these bags aren't exactly cheap!!!
I think I saw your post about your minka's repair. I thought they'd do the same for me, but they said they'd just give me back KS credit to be used at the store or outlets for the same price I got my bag. I'd have to ship it off to NJ, though on my own dime, which I think is ridiculous. They should cover the shipping, too!

It broke in TWO months. I'm so sad. I have the same bag in Vivid Snapdragon, and it's still running strong, but the black one was my fave as I could match it with anything. I'm basically giving up the bag because they can't do a quick fix on it. :mad:

I saw the same bag in the flash sale earlier this week, but they no longer had the black one, too!

MiaBorsa

At the mall, BRB.
Jun 17, 2012
Why did you wait a year to find out about returning it? You probably could have returned it to wherever you bought it a year ago. Anyhow, I think they are being fair to give you back your purchase price, so send it to them. It's a small bag so shipping shouldn't be too much. Good luck!

SK007

Jul 31, 2014
Why did you wait a year to find out about returning it? You probably could have returned it to wherever you bought it a year ago. Anyhow, I think they are being fair to give you back your purchase price, so send it to them. It's a small bag so shipping shouldn't be too much. Good luck!
I was interning in Shanghai when it broke, and I had bought it in the US. I don't think it realy would've mattered, but I personally wanted to get it fixed when I was back in the US. Also, I had ordered it online, not from the store. My woe is whether I should return it or get this fixed myself as I do love the bag; not that I was getting a "refund" of sorts. I don't even want a refund--I want it fixed! It's just a quick glue and stitch.

Danzie89

Jun 28, 2014
Chicago, IL
Do you have a local shoe repair shop or somewhere that specializes in repairing leather goods? Try to investigate and price those options too. I just think that glue won't be strong enough in the long run.