Is this weird?

HighEM

Oct 3, 2010
I got my nails done today like I do every week. Anyway, I'm funny. I like to bring in my own nail polish and don't like using the ones in the salon everyone else used. The idea of putting nail polish on my fingers that someone had on their toes freaks me out. (Yes, I have sep polishes for my feet and fingers) Is this weird? One of my good friends says I'm weird for doing this.

everyone has thier own quirks! I am weird about using other peoples stuff as well, so no I dont think your weird at all :smile:

I cant use someone else brush, even is its clean, or has been cleaned..it skeeves me out! I also dont let anyone use my makeup..at all. with the small except of my daughter who i like to try colors out on..but she cant touch it herself

everyone has thier own quirks! I am weird about using other peoples stuff as well, so no I dont think your weird at all :smile:

I cant use someone else brush, even is its clean, or has been cleaned..it skeeves me out! I also dont let anyone use my makeup..at all. with the small except of my daughter who i like to try colors out on..but she cant touch it herself

THIS! I never get my make up done by make up artists. The idea of using make up someone else used is so ick. I know they clean their "tools", but it's still nasty. IMO, when they use the brushes on your face and then dip it in whatever it's dirty. Just like I never get people who buy USED make up from YT or ebay. I don't know what's grossier that people buy or that someone usedc a product and thought "I wonder if someone else wants this?" XP

I totally agree...I dont even like buying lipstick and such from the drugstore, I always get the one in the very back because you know everyone opens the first one to see the color or whatever

I don't have a problem with it, the salon I go to is very clean and the santisize everything even my nails/fingers/toes so the I know that even the nailpolish is clean.

but still if you feel uncomfortable with using their nailpolish, I don't see why it should be weired to bring your own. everyone's different and thats ok

I think the Today Show did a special once about what kinds of bacteria, viruses (like cold sores?!?!?!!!) and other things you can catch by using the makeup at makeup conters and sharing things like lipsticks. Mascaras were the worse though - some women get eye infections.

As much as I love Sephora I always test out lipsticks on my hand - seeing people use the samples directly is a little scary to me!

I should add: I took my OPI minis in last time I got a mani/pedi, and apparently that is frowned upon? I had minis because I didn't want to purchase 9 full size bottles of trendy color that I would end wind up growing tired of.

I should add: I took my OPI minis in last time I got a mani/pedi, and apparently that is frowned upon? I had minis because I didn't want to purchase 9 full size bottles of trendy color that I would end wind up growing tired of.

that's crazy! they should be happy you're giving them business to begin with...

Ive never really thought about the seperate hand/toe polishes but now i am thinking about it, yeah, I could be grossed out! Thank you girls!!!!

LOL That's what everyone tells me when I tell them why I buy my own polishes and why I always buy two of the same color. I think it has to do with, I hate feet. The idea of someone, even a very clean person, putting their feet on me freaks me out.

I think the Today Show did a special once about what kinds of bacteria, viruses (like cold sores?!?!?!!!) and other things you can catch by using the makeup at makeup conters and sharing things like lipsticks. Mascaras were the worse though - some women get eye infections.

As much as I love Sephora I always test out lipsticks on my hand - seeing people use the samples directly is a little scary to me!

Yeah, my boyfriend took me somewhere when we were first dating. I think it was Macy's. They had all these counters. (Maybe it was Sephora) I was swatching lipsticks and shadow on my arm. He looked at me like I was from outter space. However, I've been shopping with his sister and she just takes the tasters and puts them right on her lips. :nuts: I think with things like this, despite statics and proof, it either bothers you or it doesn't.

I always take my own polish to the nail salon too!

I once stood in Sephora and watched a lady do her ENTIRE face in the store with the make up samples. I was gagging!

It might been my boyfriend's sister. ;) Sounds like something she'd do. :P

Once she bought a lipstick from Mac and used it like half way before returning it. Told me she had no problem doing so because they could sell it to someone else. :nuts:

^Yuck! I am always amazed by the number of people who apply testers directly to their face. Obviously some people never think about the fact that they are not the only one who has used the tester.

I always take my own polish with me when I get my nails done. My SIL does it now too.

Yeah, my boyfriend took me somewhere when we were first dating. I think it was Macy's. They had all these counters. (Maybe it was Sephora) I was swatching lipsticks and shadow on my arm. He looked at me like I was from outter space. However, I've been shopping with his sister and she just takes the tasters and puts them right on her lips. :nuts: I think with things like this, despite statics and proof, it either bothers you or it doesn't.

agreed! it's definitely up to the individual person...but yeah, I'd rather test items on my arms/hands and be looked at strangely than share lipsticks with a hundred other people, lol!