Is this true? Bal going with only gold hardware?

Amortentia

Dec 30, 2012
London
When I went to the store in London, in March (2017), the rep told me that the Velo and Town have been discontinued (I actually cannot believe this) to make way for more variants of the City. Regular hardware has been discontinued and the new hardware is just shiny without the indentations in it (I HATE THIS).

peachyapple

May 9, 2016
When I went to the store in London, in March (2017), the rep told me that the Velo and Town have been discontinued (I actually cannot believe this) to make way for more variants of the City. Regular hardware has been discontinued and the new hardware is just shiny without the indentations in it (I HATE THIS).
Wow really? No more silver or regular hardware? Sorry, what does no indentations mean? Thanks :smile:

Amortentia

Dec 30, 2012
London
Wow really? No more silver or regular hardware? Sorry, what does no indentations mean? Thanks :smile:
Silver hardware is still around, regular hardware is gone. On the older bags, the hardware wasn't smooth, it had dents in it {I'm not explaining this well} but the new hardware is just plain and shiny. :smile:

peachyapple

May 9, 2016
Silver hardware is still around, regular hardware is gone. On the older bags, the hardware wasn't smooth, it had dents in it {I'm not explaining this well} but the new hardware is just plain and shiny. :smile:
Oh thanks! I think I get it! What a bummer though about the regular hardware :sad:

SomethingGoodCanWork

It's a clown world after all
Feb 10, 2017
So, I went straight to "le source", Balenciaga France customer service who by the way are usually very nice and forthcoming with information, and asked about the regular hardware being discontinued and this is their answer:

"... We would like to inform you that the Classic line of our handbags is still part of our upcoming Spring/Summer 17 collection."

I don't know about you, but to me that's not being exactly 100% clear on the discontinuing, is it? :smile: I was going to ask them to be more precise but I couldn't be bothered right now. Maybe Bal haven't made a final decision yet?

Amortentia

Dec 30, 2012
London
So, I went straight to "le source", Balenciaga France customer service who by the way are usually very nice and forthcoming with information, and asked about the regular hardware being discontinued and this is their answer:

"... We would like to inform you that the Classic line of our handbags is still part of our upcoming Spring/Summer 17 collection."

I don't know about you, but to me that's not being exactly 100% clear on the discontinuing, is it? :smile: I was going to ask them to be more precise but I couldn't be bothered right now. Maybe Bal haven't made a final decision yet?
By classic line I presume they mean the City, Hip and Papier? If you look on their website, the Town is gone and the majority of the Velo's are out of stock. Few bags have regular hardware. I've been looking all-over London for a black Velo with regular hardware and Harrods, Selfridges, Harvey Nichols and the Balenciaga boutique have told me that it has been discontinued alongside the Town and regular hardware. The boutique even stock checked Europe for me and found nada. I think these bags are still in high abundance in the States but in the UK/Europe they're scarce/non-existent. I have seen some Velo's with giant hardware on MyTheresa and the odd Town on the Saks website.

SomethingGoodCanWork

Feb 10, 2017
By classic line I presume they mean the City, Hip and Papier? If you look on their website, the Town is gone and the majority of the Velo's are out of stock. Few bags have regular hardware. I've been looking all-over London for a black Velo with regular hardware and Harrods, Selfridges, Harvey Nichols and the Balenciaga boutique have told me that it has been discontinued alongside the Town and regular hardware. The boutique even stock checked Europe for me and found nada. I think these bags are still in high abundance in the States but in the UK/Europe they're scarce/non-existent. I have seen some Velo's with giant hardware on MyTheresa and the odd Town on the Saks website.
I e-mailed them again, asking specifically about the Classic regular brass ("laiton") hardware.

I hope you find your RH Velo. I've been searching for a Bal black card case with RH for some time and they are also all sold out in the EU. I finally found one on eBay Canada in new condition :happydance: I'm no "oldie" connoisseur of Balenciaga but I think Bal are making a mistake if they are discontinuing the brass RH. It's a classic, an iconic look.
Ghesquière, come back and save us ;)

Amortentia

Dec 30, 2012
London
I e-mailed them again, asking specifically about the Classic regular brass ("laiton") hardware.

I hope you find your RH Velo. I've been searching for a Bal black card case with RH for some time and they are also all sold out in the EU. I finally found one on eBay Canada in new condition :happydance: I'm no "oldie" connoisseur of Balenciaga but I think Bal are making a mistake if they are discontinuing the brass RH. It's a classic, an iconic look.
Ghesquière, come back and save us ;)
I'm glad you found the case! It's so rewarding when you stumble upon what you're been searching for! I agree, discontinuing Rose Gold hardware was also quite sad!

SomethingGoodCanWork

Feb 10, 2017
I had an answer to my second e-mail to Bal France and this is what they had to say about the Classic/RH:

"... Please note that the Classic line is only made up of Classic brass hardware.The Classic line with different hardware are either named "Classic Gold" or "Classic Silver".
Therefore, we are glad to inform you that the Classic brass hardware will not be discontinued and will be part of our upcoming Spring/Summer 17 collection."

Whether it'll be part of collections beyond the upcoming S/S 17 is still in doubt but maybe you will be able to find your Velo later this spring or summer, Amortentia. Maybe e-mail Bal France and ask about it?

CeeJay

A BAL-enced Life!
O.G.
Dec 6, 2005
A Yank in SoCAL
I had an answer to my second e-mail to Bal France and this is what they had to say about the Classic/RH:

"... Please note that the Classic line is only made up of Classic brass hardware.The Classic line with different hardware are either named "Classic Gold" or "Classic Silver".
Therefore, we are glad to inform you that the Classic brass hardware will not be discontinued and will be part of our upcoming Spring/Summer 17 collection."

Whether it'll be part of collections beyond the upcoming S/S 17 is still in doubt but maybe you will be able to find your Velo later this spring or summer, Amortentia. Maybe e-mail Bal France and ask about it?
I recall that Balenciaga had said some years back that they were discontinuing the tradition 'Brass' HW, and instead use a Silver or Gold plated hardware (not the G12 hardware, and that is what I think the poster who referred to it as having 'dents'). I know that I wasn't pleased to hear that they were discontinuing the Brass HW as it is the original HW (kind of the mantle of Balenciaga) .. then again, I haven't really bought any "new" bags in some time as I have lots of oldies! However, I am glad to hear that they will be bringing the Brass HW back, as there are quite a few of us who just plain prefer it.