Is this tacky?

it.girl

Finally Back!
O.G.
Sep 23, 2007
I'm thinking about getting a custom shirt made that reads "I don't support child labor, terrorism, and drug trafficking. I don't purchase fakes." I wouldn't wear it out except maybe to run a quick errand if I don't have anything else to wear. It would mostly be to wear around the house. Is this tacky in any sort of way?

Yeah, I think it is, but I'm of the opinion that a t-shirt really isn't the place or time for political discourse. If it's not even something you'd wear, why have it made?

I'd rather give people my opinion on that issue if it came up somehow, rather than advertise my stance on my chest. That's just me though. I'm not really into logo/message tees.

I do find it a little tacky, because it comes across as trying too hard for validation. Instead of having an adult discourse in an appropriate setting, it's using shock value generalizations to make a condescending point. It's not witty or memorable, just aggressive. If it's an issue you care about, use your resources to develop effective, thoughtful ways to raise awareness. If it's just so you can announce that you own very expensive things and get off feeling morally superior about them, then yeah, I'd skip it.

Last edited:
I think it's a little tacky...there are better ways to express your opinions :smile:

Also if you don't plan on wearing it out, or only wearing it in the house, what is the point of wearing it then? no one will see the message!

I do find it a little tacky, because it comes across as trying too hard for validation. Instead of having an adult discourse in an appropriate setting, it's using shock value generalizations to make a condescending point. It's not witty or memorable, just aggressive. If it's an issue you care about, use your resources to develop effective, thoughtful ways to raise awareness. If it's just so you can announce that you own very expensive things and get off feeling morally superior about them, then yeah, I'd skip it.

I agree 100%. And to be honest, if I saw a shirt that said something like that on it, I would probably scoff at it. I doubt it would make me think, rather just question why they're trying so hard to get attention.