Is this stupid???

Feb 7, 2013
I have a ton of jewelry but I only ever wear a few key pieces. Would it be stupid to sell gold to buy purses?

I am getting so into bags again but I don't know if that's a smart financial move!

Anyone? Thanks

I have a ton of jewelry but I only ever wear a few key pieces. Would it be stupid to sell gold to buy purses?

I am getting so into bags again but I don't know if that's a smart financial move!

Anyone? Thanks

Hmmm, well if it helps I have a ton of bags but only use a few!

Think we all always have our favourites no matter what it is, I only wear the same few inclusion bangles but have lots of those too :smile:

I'll admit that I have, but only pieces that I knew I'd never wear and that have no value to me.. I would look at the gold price on the day that you do decide to trade in, I hear commodities have been going up.

For me, I will keep my jewelry.
The price of gold is always went up and actually it's better investment than purse.
We can save money and buy the bag you want ...

I wouldn't sell good jewelry because it is something that always goes up in value. I do have more jewelry than I ever wear but most of it is family heirlooms that I wouldn't want to sell anyway.

That said, I have told my husband I don't want any more jewelry, I'd rather have handbags!

its true that the price of gold will go up. But so will the prices of LV and other designer bags! So really it all evens out anyway. if u want a purse today, y keep waiting until tomorrow?

As for being an investment...well...most handbags arent an actual investment like gold is. But if you're wanting the bags to carry and enjoy then I would def sell jewelry that u get no real pleasure from anymore.

Anyone? Thanks

Gold is really at a high right now, but I would say no. Once you sell jewelry, chances are you can't replace the items. Plus, if they aren't special pieces, they will be scrapped (melted down). IMO, you can always get a LV somewhere! But once you sell your gold, I would bet you will want the items back!

If you don't use them and they're of no sentimental value to you then sure, why not?

Agreed. I think it's a waste to hoard crap you don't use, no matter what it is. I used to hang onto stuff because it was "valuable", but what good is it doing sitting in a box ignored? I've been selling everything I don't use lately and using the money to buy things that I love and will use. THAT is a much better investment, to me. Chances are, when we buy STUFF, we're not looking at it as a stock to sit on and wait to become more valuable.

Id hold onto the jewelery, just for reasons everyone said, that gold is worth quite a bit now, and while bags are awesome and you might use them more, the resale for bags id assume is far less then that of gold. JMO.

most jewellery isnt really "that" valuable.
When you buy jewellery, alot of the price goes to labour costs associated with creating it.
Unless you are buying little 24k gold nuggets, its not really an investment.

Neither are bags for that matter.... just choose what you like better.

most jewellery isnt really "that" valuable.
When you buy jewellery, alot of the price goes to labour costs associated with creating it.
Unless you are buying little 24k gold nuggets, its not really an investment.

Neither are bags for that matter.... just choose what you like better.

so true...even if you spend X amount on a nice gold piece or a good cut/clarity diamond piece, you'll be lucky to get most of your money back. lol if you're thinking of investment terms, from personal experience LV has better resale value. unless it pieces that has sentimental value like heirlooms, i say sell it and fund it for something you will wear and enjoy.

its true that the price of gold will go up. But so will the prices of lv and other designer bags! So really it all evens out anyway. If u want a purse today, y keep waiting until tomorrow?

As for being an investment...well...most handbags arent an actual investment like gold is. But if you're wanting the bags to carry and enjoy then i would def sell jewelry that u get no real pleasure from anymore.

+1