is this strap acceptable for a brand new classic flap? would love to hear your opinion

_marshy

May 17, 2020
i took a bagfie of my new baby and noticed a line on the strap which was very obvious on the photo... upon further inspection i noticed another line! which means my full strap is made out of three different leather straps put together... on top of this, the endings are sticking out and snags on the grommets when i adjust the strap length :sad:

should i exchange for another or is this really how all classic straps are now?

TIA

bag details: chanel classic small in caviar leather with silver hardware

C63421E3-8557-4B4B-BB57-287DC134A361.jpeg

44E35E98-6C38-4FFA-9D1D-4D3905442181.jpeg

Last edited:
thank you both for your responses

i tried to ignore it in the beginning but i think it was the adrenaline of having a brand new bag baby. i then inspected my classic jumbo and the craftsmanship was way much better! the ends were tucked in nicely which means they didn't snag on the grommets and i couldn’t find any lines on the strap...

i truly love the small size! but considering the increased prices on chanel bags, shouldn’t the quality go up or at least remain the same?

i am so torn :sad:

I bought a medium flap recently and took it back as I thought the ends should be neater like my WOC. I looked at 3 other bags and they were all the same but only one join. Hope this helps! (This was London).

Reactions: _marshy
I bought a medium flap recently and took it back as I thought the ends should be neater like my WOC. I looked at 3 other bags and they were all the same but only one join. Hope this helps! (This was London).

thank you so much for your response.
did you end up buying the medium flap?

I did! I’m still doubting if I should switch for the Gabrielle hobo but think I’m keeping my medium flap. They’ve gone up 50% in 5 years and it’s an investment. :smile:

so just to clarify: the issue on your bag was only the ends. you don’t see lines on your strap that indicates strap is made of 3 different strap leathers put together. is this correct?

btw, tysm for your responses. they are truly helpful :smile:

Reactions: Kiakaha
Sorry for the delay! I don’t see lines showing the strap is name of more than one piece of leather and didn’t see that in the others I compared mine to either. I hope that helps! Chanel gave strict quality control so I’m surprised but each bag is different as I could tell. I think there may be something wrong if you have 3 pieces in the strap though but I am no expert. ☺️ Are you able to take it in and compare then switch if you wish?

The ends are ok but the joins in the strap are a little hmmmm to me. If you are not happy you shd return. I am usually quite chilled about stuff like this but the extra joins would irk me.

Sorry for the delay! I don’t see lines showing the strap is name of more than one piece of leather and didn’t see that in the others I compared mine to either. I hope that helps! Chanel gave strict quality control so I’m surprised but each bag is different as I could tell. I think there may be something wrong if you have 3 pieces in the strap though but I am no expert. ☺️ Are you able to take it in and compare then switch if you wish?

This definitely is the clarity that I needed. I was concerned that all classic flaps had the visible lines on the strap. Thank you soo much for your response. I will be contacting my SA today. Not sure if they have any in store as this bag was shipped to me directly from their warehouse. But I’ve made up my mind to return the bag.