is this stone priced well?

Phillyfan

O.G.
Nov 25, 2007
My friend is a new member and not yet able to begin a thread. She wanted to ask the experts opinions here the following:
What do you think of a round brilliant, triple ex, "I" color and VS2 for $1900? It is a .76 size and she might set it in a white gold Scott Kay split shank but not halo. TIA!

lilmountaingirl

~i LVoe/Hate LV!~
O.G.
May 5, 2008
That is an excellent price! My jeweler, who has extremely fair pricing, would charge close to double (if it was gia certified).

ame

O.G.
Mar 22, 2007
EGL USA or EGL international? I need more data that just color, clarity and size. Who claimed it was triple EX.

lilmountaingirl

~i LVoe/Hate LV!~
O.G.
May 5, 2008
There is controversy surrounding EGL stones. Grading can be pretty loose and can be off by one or two grades on at least one of the stats. Most jewelers will discount a stone by 20% just for being EGL graded. Now knowing it is EGL I am assuming based on the excellent price that the jeweler does not feel the stats match the grading report. Now it might still be a gorgeous diamond and maybe the price is still a nice discount but i would not be comfortable purchasing it unless i could see it in person. If she has seen it in person and absolutely loves it then i would still buy it. A lot of people don't mind EGL but it doesn't have the best rep. There are very many amazing EGL stones, you just have to be a smart consumer. I would want to see the cut stats/angles. If the color was off two grades that wouldn't bother me (unless it was a whole step like from colorless to near colorless like being graded an E and really being a G). The price on it is good enough in this case (if it really is 3ex) that even if the grading report is inflated she still is probably saving a little bit of money. Just not nearly as much as if the stats are correct.

lilmountaingirl

~i LVoe/Hate LV!~
O.G.
May 5, 2008
Also, keeping with the two grade difference theory if that stone was given a VS2 and should be an SI2, that is a huge difference. But it is still a monetary savings. The biggest difference in grading jumps though is SI2 to I1. So an EGL VS2 grade is a safe grade if the price is right because (imo) SI2 is still a good clarity grade. If it were really an I1, you would clearly see that. And while i love K-M color diamonds, there is an obvious difference between an I and a K so again you would notice it. Like AME said, angle and cut stats seem needed. And even though much more difficult i'd be interested in seeing a photo.

ame

O.G.
Mar 22, 2007
I think the "looseness" depends on which lab. IF it was USA, its usually pretty close. If not, it can be ANYTHING. But we can't just say "good price" without knowing how well it's cut.

Phillyfan

O.G.
Nov 25, 2007
Thanks everyone. She felt it looked a bit yellowish on her 1st impression. So she is NOT getting it!