Is this really customer service? Are they lying?

Mar 9, 2008
Sorry for my rant but I just called my local Hermès boutique...
(Loooong story!)

Last week I went to the H boutique in Frankfurt together with my mom. The SA there was very impatient and treated with a kind of attitude like we're never going to buy anything and why she had to bother with us.
(Actually I was deciding between two Gavroches from the fairytales line)
My mom was looking for a specific Carré. The SA lied to us that this Carré was sold out everywhere and they had only this color left. (Later another SA came and took one out in another color!)
At this moment, both, we didn't like to purchase anything - but we knew that this might be the last chance to get the scarves - so we decided to buy them. After telling the SA that I'd like to buy the Gavroche I told her that I want to look around upstairs.
The SA didn't even bother - I went there ALONE and without knowing she already made the check!
My mom waited downstairs for me and was told that she had to pay RIGHT NOW. (for my own purchase, too!)
Of course, she didn't pay because we were not finished shopping! She went upstairs and told me just to get out immediately because she couldn't stand those people anymore.
Then another thing happened: Another SA came out and showed us the Carré my mom was looking for in another color. I asked her if it would be possible to check the system if they could find one within Germany.
It took a very looooong time... but she found one. I asked her where the Carré is located at the moment and I was told that it's a secret!
I replied that I wanted to go to this boutique together with my mom and buy it there! After hearing that the SA said that is would be in Hamburg (I thought it was a secret?!) and that it would be to far away for me to get there.
After telling her that we aren't from Frankfurt (our home is a 3 hour drive away) she told me that my local boutique had one, too!!! But there was already a reservation on it for a tourist!

Ok, let's make it a little shorter: The tourist (!!!) didn't buy the Carré. We went there the next day and my mom was told that the Carré was already sold! They didn't even apologize properly to her!
I didn't hear it immediately because I was downstairs with another SA looking at a Birkin. (I want to order one and was hoping for more information)
I decided upon a white Birkin 30 in Clemence leather and told the SA to find out the price for me. (She was not sure how much it will be!)

My mom asked the SA to find the Carré for her. Today I called the H boutique to ask for the Carré and the price of the Birkin and I was told that they couldn't find the Carré but the color (which is mostly pink) wouldn't suit my mother anyway (!) and they are not able to order a white Birkin 30 in Clemence because it doesn't come in that leather at the moment. She could only order one in Togo for me!

What is going on???! :cursing:
Are they still on the "hunt" for white Clemence leather? Is it a rare animal? :weird::wtf:

Last edited:
Sorry to hear, that you were having such bad experiences within a week (locally and abroad). I really don't get, why SAs act so weird/rude sometimes. :confused1:
But don't let this put you off Hermès in general. Maybe you want to talk to your store manager and let them know how you feel about that kind of service. :yes:

Today I called the H boutique to ask for the Carré and the price of the Birkin and I was told that they couldn't find the Carré but the color (which is mostly pink) wouldn't suit my mother anyway (!)

Did they pass of that remark when your mum had yet to try the pink colorway?

Absurd.

Sorry to hear, that you were having such bad experiences within a week (locally and abroad). I really don't get, why SAs act so weird/rude sometimes. :confused1:
But don't let this put you off Hermès in general. Maybe you want to talk to your store manager and let them know how you feel about that kind of service. :yes:

I think I won't buy anything there anymore!
Almost two years ago the SA (she's the store manager and also the SA who treated us like that!) was very helpful trying to hide the fact that I purchased a scarf for my mom. She even lied to my mom about being sold out everywhere to make it a perfect surprise for her!

Does the SA know you or your mother well, or know that your mother doesn't like/wear pink much?

That could explain her remark. How did she make it? Was she flippant, or was it her honest opinion?

Does the SA know you or your mother well, or know that your mother doesn't like/wear pink much?

That could explain her remark. How did she make it? Was she flippant, or was it her honest opinion?

She doesn't know her very well. We always buy in different H boutiques worldwide.
I don't know why she made that remark - she absolutely has no reason to say that and of course NO RIGHT to say that!
I'm not too sure... but she sounded a little flippant.

I think I won't buy anything there anymore!
Almost two years ago the SA (she's the store manager and also the SA who treated us like that!) was very helpful trying to hide the fact that I purchased a scarf for my mom. She even lied to my mom about being sold out everywhere to make it a perfect surprise for her!

Mhm, so that SA does seem to have her "good" days also. :biggrin:
I can really relate to how you feel, but maybe you want to go there once more to clear things up with her.

I'd go there and say something like: "Look, I really didn't appreciate the way we were treated, but everybody can have a bad day. ;) Now it would really be a lot easier for our future hermès purchases, if we could rely on our local boutique, but I can also take my business elsewhere."

She doesn't know her very well. We always buy in different H boutiques worldwide.
I don't know why she made that remark - she absolutely has no reason to say that and of course NO RIGHT to say that!
I'm not too sure... but she sounded a little flippant.

In that case, the remark was quite uncalled for. Perhaps have a chat with her the next time about the level of service, or better yet, just take your business elsewhere. That is not the only Hermes boutique in the world.

OP, I am so sorry that you have very unpleasant experience with H SA. Some of the TPF members had the same experiences. But please do not give up. You could try other H boutiques because H items are so exquisite.

Regarding the Birkin, it is generally quite rare. The demands in market are so high. Personally, I think you are lucky that SA will allow you to order one (In some countries, H boutiques do not take order anymore. In others, when they do take order, the waiting period is quite sometimes.) There are threads here describing all the troubles people have to go through to get a Birkin. Personally, I think all those troubles are worth when you get the right Birkin

and they are not able to order a white Birkin 30 in Clemence because it doesn't come in that leather at the moment. She could only order one in Togo for me!

What is going on???! :cursing:
Are they still on the "hunt" for white Clemence leather? Is it a rare animal? :weird::wtf:

Would it be too much trouble to change store? Otherwise, I would just stick to the SA who was straightforward with you, and do not deal with the SA who lied blatantly. Try to build a relationship with one person, don't just talk to any SA. And yes, there could be restrictions on the togo/clemence thing. But the scarf part was too ridiculous.

Mhm, so that SA does seem to have her "good" days also. :biggrin:
I can really relate to how you feel, but maybe you want to go there once more to clear things up with her.

I'd go there and say something like: "Look, I really didn't appreciate the way we were treated, but everybody can have a bad day. ;) Now it would really be a lot easier for our future hermès purchases, if we could rely on our local boutique, but I can also take my business elsewhere."

Mhm, I think you're right I should try talking to them. But I've just remembered another comment she made at the phone: "We should concentrate on the scarves that are available and IF I decide to order a Birkin I can come to the shop and so on..."
It looks like she doubted that I'll ever order one - plus, she said it like that: you can always come but you have to decide and buy and not create problems.

I don't know if I image things but it really sounded like that when I'm thinking about it.

Would it be too much trouble to change store? Otherwise, I would just stick to the SA who was straightforward with you, and do not deal with the SA who lied blatantly. Try to build a relationship with one person, don't just talk to any SA. And yes, there could be restrictions on the togo/clemence thing. But the scarf part was too ridiculous.

The problem is that the SA who was nice to me 2 years ago is the exact same person I was talking to on the phone and we met in the boutique.
(I even thanked her for her helpfulness 2 years ago with some Pralinés)

The next store is in Munich (that's about 2 1/2 hours to drive from our home).
When shopping I don't like to plan much... I like to go in and find something I like. I think I have to change my H shopping method now :tdown:

OP, I am so sorry that you have very unpleasant experience with H SA. Some of the TPF members had the same experiences. But please do not give up. You could try other H boutiques because H items are so exquisite.

Regarding the Birkin, it is generally quite rare. The demands in market are so high. Personally, I think you are lucky that SA will allow you to order one (In some countries, H boutiques do not take order anymore. In others, when they do take order, the waiting period is quite sometimes.) There are threads here describing all the troubles people have to go through to get a Birkin. Personally, I think all those troubles are worth when you get the right Birkin

I've heard about those things through this forum. When I was looking at the Birkin in my local store I was told that it would take about one year and that the order will be placed in June or July (I'm not too sure anymore).
But I really want one in Clemence leather. I've seen Vernilover's white Clemence Birkin and immediately fell in love.

Again, I can see the dilemma - on one hand, you're really upset about the treatment (I don't think you're imagening things).
On the other, there are advantages of having a local hermès boutique.

So it's up to you, if you want to go there and try to clear things up, or if you want to start shopping elsewhere right away. In any case, good luck! :flowers: