Is this normal? Vintage Coach City Bag

duckcamolove

Jun 30, 2013
Hi Ladies!
I'm so sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong place! I've been a long time lurker but I ImageUploadedByPurseForum1447098555.457000.jpgImageUploadedByPurseForum1447098568.404370.jpg need your expertise. I have recently received a vintage coach city bag in red that I'd been hoping to find for some time. When I received it, it was a little rough but for its age i think that's to be expected. I thought I would clean it up a little with leather lotion, but when I went to do so it turned dark in the spots I cleaned then went away when dried. So I think that is ok, however I then had red dye on the cloth I used. I just wanted to double check that it's normal to darker so much and show flaws when cleaned for 1 and 2 with that color transfer am I going to be red whenever I carry this bag? Thank you so much in advance! ImageUploadedByPurseForum1447098818.542381.jpg

This exact same thing happened to my black violet Phoebe when I went into the store to buy leather conditioner. The SA demonstrated how to use it on my bag and the scuffed spots darkened and then lightened when the conditioner dried. I also noticed the dye on the cloth and she said it was normal. I've never had dye transfer on my clothes and I've been carrying her on and off for about 2 years. I've also noticed dye on the cloth when I've cleaned/conditioned some of my brightly colored kate spade bags, so that makes me think its normal.