Is this normal for DE bags??

cerezah

Cerezah
May 23, 2014
I've had my DE speedy 35 for about 3 months and have been using it maybe twice a week and I have definitely been babying my bag. However, the "frosting" is gone from 3 different places. The spots are very small but I can see them and they annoy me, especially the one on the handle cos I can see it everytime I grab my bag. So my question, is this normal or should I take it in for repairing? I'm worried they'll tell me "we don't send bags for repair for such small things" BUT if I wait for it to get worse I'm sure they'll try to tell that it's because of me and it's normal wear and tear.

What would you do if you were me?

Attachments

• kuva.JPG
    kuva.JPG
    130.5 KB · Views: 748
  • kuva (2).JPG
    kuva (2).JPG
    180.3 KB · Views: 742
  • kuva (1).JPG
    kuva (1).JPG
    125.4 KB · Views: 754
Not happy to hear this :sad: and I thought DE would be carefree..

I thought so too but apparently not so much. The coating on DE peels. It is not just the straps on the DE neverfull that have problems. DE piping seems to scratch off easily. At least vachetta you can clean it or try to buff it.

Last edited:
I thought so too but apparently not so much. The coating on DE peels. It is not just the straps on the DE neverfull that have problems. DE piping seems to scratch off easily. At least vachetta you can clean it or try to buff it.

Exactly! I've been worried buying bags with vachetta cos of the rain and snow in Finland, but maybe I shouldn't be, a nice lil tan and it's all gona be alright :graucho:

This is so true! DE bag have coated vachetta so it can peel. And in some areas it peels really easily- especially around the straps or any area that bumps into things. Mono is actually more carefree - the only thing you have to worry about is normal patina or heavy darkening (if you don't take care of your bags). But I do find the quality of DE bags have declined over the past few years. I think LV is making the coating thinner.

I had the straps replaced for free on my DE NF when it was only six months old due to heavy cracking. There is cracking on the new handles now but I've resigned myself since it's normal for DE due to the coating. :sad:

Wow. I did not know that DE bags do that. I just got my Speedy DE thinking that it will be more of an everyday bag than my Neverfull mono. I have noticed some "wrinkles" on the underside of the straps but thought it was normal and wouldn't get any worse. I guess I'll baby it more now.

Darn I like the looks of the DE and was thinking of buying maybe not! I like hobos, but wonder what works for me. I'm 5 ft tall. ��

I really like DE too and wanted to get another bag with the print but after only 3 months with my DE speedy, I don't think I'm gonna do that. Guess I'll go with the mono next, it patinas but doesn't get scratched like this.

My bag is getting worse :nogood: I didn't visit the store yet cos I wanted to see if the scratches were my fault or if it was just that the bag was poorly made... seems like it was poorly made because this is pure PEELING or what do you think? I will visit the store this Friday and ask if they could send it in for repair or give me store credit instead.

Attachments

• kuva (9).JPG
    kuva (9).JPG
    157.5 KB · Views: 386
I wish you took it back when the frosting problem appeared! But definitely take the bag to the store, and tell them this is so disappointing, it is not normal. As you mentioned you baby your bags, it's not like you throw it anywhere. The peeling and frosting problem within less than 6 months use is NOT acceptable.